Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Crockett near Honey Grove

Posted By: larry rasure

Lake Crockett near Honey Grove - 06/25/15 11:04 PM

Has anyone fished for bass in this lake Lately?
Posted By: Anchorman

Re: Lake Crockett near Honey Grove - 06/25/15 11:13 PM

I've fished it for years. Nice little lake full of fish and some good ones too.

Re: Lake Crockett near Honey Grove - 06/26/15 12:32 AM

Thanks
Posted By: Bois d'arc

Re: Lake Crockett near Honey Grove - 06/26/15 01:09 PM

Been thinkin' about fishing it since April this year. Pretty lake..... looks fishy. Not too busy during the week. Good boat ramp. Rain is the only thing that kept me from fishing....really high and muddy. Spoke to an old timer at the ramp who says there's lots of bass in the lake just no "Grande's".....guessing he means not many over 10's.

Re: Lake Crockett near Honey Grove - 06/26/15 01:50 PM

I live in Cooper Tx and have a Hobie pro angler 14 and was thinking about fishing Crockett.
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: Lake Crockett near Honey Grove - 06/26/15 06:41 PM

Lots of grass!!!! Ramp is Ok but not great with a nice campground across from the ramp if you need a weekend get away. I have a bass boat and a kayak. It fished fine from a bass boat but next time I will fish it from my yak. The size of the lake, big trees around the lake for wind protection, and all the grass makes this seem like a perfect size lake to sneak around in a yak.
Posted By: firefighter196965

Re: Lake Crockett near Honey Grove - 06/26/15 07:28 PM

Lake is off, way off. I live just down the street and both lakes coffee mill and Crockett are in a slump. We're guessing around here that it's turning over.
Posted By: Bassinamped

Re: Lake Crockett near Honey Grove - 06/26/15 07:45 PM

Can you launch a large bass boat easily on the ramp there?
Posted By: Ranger Z21

Re: Lake Crockett near Honey Grove - 06/26/15 08:15 PM

I doubt they are turning over. A buddy of mine and his brother fish both lakes several times a week and they are killing them. There is a tournament on coffee mill about once or twice a month and usually takes over twenty to win. Even when the lakes are high and muddy they usually still produce. Yes you can launch a 21' bass boat with ease at both lakes.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Lake Crockett near Honey Grove - 06/26/15 08:35 PM

yes

Re: Lake Crockett near Honey Grove - 06/26/15 10:15 PM

Thanks for the info . Which lake is best of the two.

Re: Lake Crockett near Honey Grove - 06/27/15 12:02 PM

Crockett for numbers and coffee mill for size.

Re: Lake Crockett near Honey Grove - 06/27/15 09:17 PM

Anyone know what time the gate opens in the mornings for crockett and if there is a fee?
Posted By: Tiltman

Re: Lake Crockett near Honey Grove - 06/27/15 09:22 PM

No fee no gate , and there are some good ones in there too I've had several over 7 and a few 8's out of there in the last year.

Re: Lake Crockett near Honey Grove - 06/27/15 09:41 PM

That's awesome! Thanks for the info tiltman
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Lake Crockett near Honey Grove - 06/28/15 01:02 AM

Actually Crockett and coffemill both have a two dollar fee.
Posted By: Tiltman

Re: Lake Crockett near Honey Grove - 06/28/15 04:35 AM

Oops I apparently am a non payer , I never realized I was supposed to be paying
Posted By: Hook'Em 79

Re: Lake Crockett near Honey Grove - 06/28/15 01:51 PM

Crockett also has a great population of crappie as well.
Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: Lake Crockett near Honey Grove - 06/28/15 02:16 PM

It is a honor system with a Federal pay box I believe. They are in the Caddo National Grassland.
http://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/recreational/lakes/davy_crockett/access.phtml
http://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/recreational/lakes/coffee_mill/access.phtml
Posted By: Flying Fish

Re: Lake Crockett near Honey Grove - 06/29/15 01:36 AM

Both lakes are producing good numbers right now. I fished Coffee Mill 4 times in the last couple of weeks and have caught good numbers up to 6 pounds. Try fishing a Lake Fork Trophy Lures Hyper Stick in Chartreuse Pepper, Texas rigged and peg the weight. C-Rig is working well also. Have a buddy on Crockett as we speak. He caught 20 this afternoon on C-Rig and cranks on the primary point between the two major arms on the lake. Good luck!
Posted By: SGIBSON

Re: Lake Crockett near Honey Grove - 06/29/15 01:47 AM

How deep is the grass on Crockett ?
Posted By: dandeeks

Re: Lake Crockett near Honey Grove - 06/29/15 02:07 PM

I highly doubt that guy caught "20: yesterday on Crockett. I was there yesterday (had it planned long before this posting) from 530am. we caught 6 all day. That guy on the point, which looked like to younger guys actually... I saw him pull in 2. There was a another boat on the point fishing for what looked like crappie, and they were barely getting a bite every 30 minutes with floaties and whatever bait they were using. Grass goes about 8feet deep (i think) and there aren't half as many lilly pads as there usually is now. Frog bite/topwater=non existent yesterday. I counted 7 trailers, maybe 8.. which is qutie a bit for that tiny lake. Nobody was catching 20 yesterday, very tough.
Posted By: Flying Fish

Re: Lake Crockett near Honey Grove - 06/30/15 10:23 PM

The guy I referenced fishes Crockett more than anyone I know. Most of his fish came later in the day when a school of fish moved in on the major point. 14 on CR and the rest on a square bill. I didn't mean to imply it was easy. He fished all day Monday and only caught 11. No reason to question his integrity, as he would have no reason to embellish his results.

Re: Lake Crockett near Honey Grove - 06/30/15 10:31 PM

20 is easily possible on that lake. I have a buddy that fishes it regularly and it happens more than not. I can tell you what your doing is not what he does and by the way the frog bite is on but it all comes down to presentation and color.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum