Texas Fishing Forum

How many of you carry a spare prop in the boat?

Posted By: Frank the Tank

How many of you carry a spare prop in the boat? - 06/25/15 01:35 AM

I'd like to hear from you, thanks
Posted By: Jersey Dan

Re: How many of you carry a spare prop in the boat? - 06/25/15 01:41 AM

Spare prop and spare lower unit on long distance trips
Posted By: NITRO Z8

Re: How many of you carry a spare prop in the boat? - 06/25/15 01:48 AM

I also carry a spare prop at all times and glad I do. Was on cedar creek last year and the wind was terrible as usual and just came out of a cove and my prop spun out. Was lucky enough to troll back in the cove to replace the prop and thank god for that because with the waves and wind I don't think I could have made it a cross the lake on the trolling motor only, so yes I carry a spare. Sorry for the long rant. Larry.
Posted By: jbcarroll3000

Re: How many of you carry a spare prop in the boat? - 06/25/15 01:55 AM

I don't. Probably should.
Posted By: AWS

Re: How many of you carry a spare prop in the boat? - 06/25/15 01:56 AM

no, but i should...when i find one i can afford i am going to get it
Posted By: bloo_rainger

Re: How many of you carry a spare prop in the boat? - 06/25/15 01:56 AM

Dumb question. What does spun you're prop mean?
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: How many of you carry a spare prop in the boat? - 06/25/15 01:58 AM

I keep a spare prop in the boat.
Posted By: Bugzout10

Re: How many of you carry a spare prop in the boat? - 06/25/15 02:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Jersey Dan
lower unit now that's prepared
Posted By: Roll Tide Ranger

Re: How many of you carry a spare prop in the boat? - 06/25/15 02:03 AM

If I am driving any distance to fish I carry an extra trolling motor. A lot of things can go bad and you can still fish, If the trolling motor goes bad you are loading it up.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: How many of you carry a spare prop in the boat? - 06/25/15 02:04 AM

yep, spare prop, prop wrench, and cotter keys
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: How many of you carry a spare prop in the boat? - 06/25/15 02:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Jersey Dan

Yo DanO, only elite dudes do that, LOL......... eeks... I live next to some.... grin
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: How many of you carry a spare prop in the boat? - 06/25/15 02:17 AM

I used to carry one, I may be wrong but I don.t think you can spin the hub on the prop that I am running, I know I have spun a couple of Yamaha props but these Mercury props like the Tempest and the Fury I have never had a problem.
Posted By: John175☮

Re: How many of you carry a spare prop in the boat? - 06/25/15 02:23 AM

I have a prop problem. I have three. A winter prop, summer prop and a beater prop.
Posted By: epicoutdoors

Re: How many of you carry a spare prop in the boat? - 06/25/15 02:29 AM

I always carry a spare beater. The one time I needed one and didn't have it convinced me.
Posted By: 98Champion

Re: How many of you carry a spare prop in the boat? - 06/25/15 02:29 AM

Originally Posted By: bloo_rainger
Dumb question. What does spun you're prop mean?

I assume he meant the prop broke free from the hub. I carry a spare prop and a spare hub. You can get a cheap aluminum prop for around $150, it won't be a real good prop but it'll get you across the lake if needed. I started carrying one after a friend of mine threw a blade off his stainless prop and he didn't even hit anything as he was running across Amistad in 80 foot of water. You never know when something may happen so it's smart to carry a spare.
Posted By: cephusjoe

Re: How many of you carry a spare prop in the boat? - 06/25/15 02:32 AM

Not me
Posted By: Roll Tide Ranger

Re: How many of you carry a spare prop in the boat? - 06/25/15 02:35 AM

I think what he means in spinning a prop is there is a rubber insert in the hub. If it gets old or worn out it loses contact and spins inside the hub.
Posted By: Alex Finch

Re: How many of you carry a spare prop in the boat? - 06/25/15 02:37 AM

I don't but really should after the incident I had the day before the Mega Bass this year. Fortunately, I was on Fork. Took off from the public 154 ramp and had a blade fly off while I was in the boat lane in front of Taylor. A Great Samaritan gave me a ride back to the ramp while my buddy stayed with the boat and went fishing. Ran down to Steve's, bought a new one and got a ride back from the ramp to Taylor from another good Samaritan, Guide Richie White. Richie stayed around while I changed it out, and I was back to fishing after about an hour and a half. Any other lake, and I think it would've ruined my day.

For the guys that carry a spare: do you carry an identical one or one with a different number of blades/different pitch? I've heard there are advantages to having 4 blades vs 3, so maybe having a different one would help me justify having $450 tied up in an "insurance" plan.
Posted By: MB Champ

Re: How many of you carry a spare prop in the boat? - 06/25/15 02:40 AM

I carry spare outboard prop and trolling motor prop, and all parts associated with them. I've needed them and glad I had them.
Posted By: 98Champion

Re: How many of you carry a spare prop in the boat? - 06/25/15 02:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Alex Finch
I don't but really should after the incident I had the day before the Mega Bass this year. Fortunately, I was on Fork. Took off from the public 154 ramp and had a blade fly off while I was in the boat lane in front of Taylor. A Great Samaritan gave me a ride back to the ramp while my buddy stayed with the boat and went fishing. Ran down to Steve's, bought a new one and got a ride back from the ramp to Taylor from another good Samaritan, Guide Richie White. Richie stayed around while I changed it out, and I was back to fishing after about an hour and a half. Any other lake, and I think it would've ruined my day.

For the guys that carry a spare: do you carry an identical one or one with a different number of blades/different pitch? I've heard there are advantages to having 4 blades vs 3, so maybe having a different one would help me justify having $450 tied up in an "insurance" plan.

I run a 3 blade 25p Fury and I carry a 4 blade trophy 23p that I bought for fishing Northern NM lakes though it doesn't work good on my boat so I'm gonna get a 23p tempest plus.
Posted By: Chuck29

Re: How many of you carry a spare prop in the boat? - 06/25/15 02:50 AM

I keep one always and a couple of flowtorq replacement hubs as well you never know. All it will take is one 6 hour trip back to the ramp and you will never leave home with out one.
Posted By: DKennimer

Re: How many of you carry a spare prop in the boat? - 06/25/15 03:00 AM

I carry an extra prop and hub for outboard and TM prop and pin kit. Tools for everything.
Posted By: Marooned

Re: How many of you carry a spare prop in the boat? - 06/25/15 03:01 AM

I carry a spare prop for the outboard, with the proper size wrench, and a spare TM prop.
Posted By: Bigron119

Re: How many of you carry a spare prop in the boat? - 06/25/15 03:12 AM

If you don't carry a spare prop then you should consider the Prop-Aid. An aluminum sleeve that will get you back home if you spin a hub.
Cheaper than a Prop and still some peace of mind.
http://www.prop-aid.com/

There are some props that have the Quick Drop in insert for the hub and they are inexpensive. Depends on which Prop/Hub that you have as to which one you could consider.

Re: How many of you carry a spare prop in the boat? - 06/25/15 03:16 AM

Originally Posted By: 98Champion
Originally Posted By: Alex Finch

I run a 3 blade 25p Fury and I carry a 4 blade trophy 23p that I bought for fishing Northern NM lakes though it doesn't work good on my boat so I'm gonna get a 23p tempest plus.

Thanks! I'm running a 25p Fury also.
Posted By: lamoon78

Re: How many of you carry a spare prop in the boat? - 06/25/15 03:27 AM

Dont have to with the fat shaft tourque master if you break that hub or prop you got more damage than either of those two.
Posted By: Redfoxone

Re: How many of you carry a spare prop in the boat? - 06/25/15 07:35 AM

Ever since I slung the blades on 2 Yamaha props in a Skeeter tourney I now carry a spare aluminium prop for scenarios like that.
Posted By: Nutman

Re: How many of you carry a spare prop in the boat? - 06/25/15 09:56 AM

I used to carry a spare when I ran an aluminum prop. Glad I did.
BUT,,,, you are telling me that you can throw a blade off a SS prop ?
Even without hitting a tree stump ?
I thought the whole idea of a SS prop was to prevent losing a blade when you hit something ?
So now I need to "STILL" carry a spare prop and hub "just in case" ?
So why do I need a SS prop ?
Posted By: Nutman

Re: How many of you carry a spare prop in the boat? - 06/25/15 10:00 AM

Alex & Jersey Dan;
you guys really carry extra SS props ?
Jersey,,,,,,,you I understand carrying the extra lower unit, the way you fish for weeks at a time and especially in Mexico.
But an extra SS prop just for around East Texas,,,,,really ?
GREAT QUESTION & ANSWERS
Posted By: largemouthokie

Re: How many of you carry a spare prop in the boat? - 06/25/15 11:44 AM

I have a spare prop but I never have it with me. Hate all the extra weight in the boat and I am afraid if I leave it in the truck, someone will steal it. Need to take some tackle out of the boat that I never use and carry the prop with me. But I never claimed to be very smart. Always carry a spare trolling motor prop.
Posted By: papamark

Re: How many of you carry a spare prop in the boat? - 06/25/15 11:47 AM

I carry a spare SS prop. TM prop and tools to change them with. Also spare Nut, washer and pins for the Main prop.
Posted By: etexbasser

Re: How many of you carry a spare prop in the boat? - 06/25/15 02:28 PM

I carry a spare aluminum prop and I carry a box in my truck with spare hub for trailer and equipment to jack it up on the side of the road. I started doing this years ago and went for years without needing any of it, but with the miles and hours I put on trailer and boat, I have used them both recently and was glad I had them. And I do preventative maintanance, so it can happen at anytime.
Posted By: Cmack

Re: How many of you carry a spare prop in the boat? - 06/25/15 02:57 PM

Same here, I carry a spare SS prop, trolling motor prop and shear pins. If I'm traveling I carry a spare trolling motor too. If I had a spare LU, I'd tote that along in the Suburban too.
Posted By: timwins31

Re: How many of you carry a spare prop in the boat? - 06/25/15 04:05 PM

I keep one for both motors. I had a REALLY bad day back in 2011 and had both destroyed/broken in one trip and had to get towed. Never again.
Posted By: DCmac

Re: How many of you carry a spare prop in the boat? - 06/25/15 04:59 PM

Sure do. Hope having it is the insurance I need that the one on the motor will last until one day far in the future it just wears out. For years listened to the busted prop horror stories from the guys I work with, bought me a spare when we got the boat.
Posted By: ChampionDon (SkeeterDon)

Re: How many of you carry a spare prop in the boat? - 06/25/15 05:00 PM

Originally Posted By: papamark
I carry a spare SS prop. TM prop and tools to change them with. Also spare Nut, washer and pins for the Main prop.

+1
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: How many of you carry a spare prop in the boat? - 06/25/15 05:19 PM

I carry a spare Flo Torque hub but not a prop. I have 2 at the house and one is aluminum and therefore lightweight. My trips are normally short so I do see a big need for a full prop. I do carry a spare for the TM along with nut and a pin.
Posted By: Drop-Shot

Re: How many of you carry a spare prop in the boat? - 06/25/15 05:39 PM

I carry a spare prop for both the big motor and the trolling motor, and the tools to change them out.
Posted By: HasBen

Re: How many of you carry a spare prop in the boat? - 06/25/15 06:10 PM

I have a SS prop that I only use for high speed playing around that I keep in the boat anyway. It will do as a spare if I have to make it back to the dock.

Re: How many of you carry a spare prop in the boat? - 06/25/15 06:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Nutman
I used to carry a spare when I ran an aluminum prop. Glad I did.
BUT,,,, you are telling me that you can throw a blade off a SS prop ?
Even without hitting a tree stump ?
I thought the whole idea of a SS prop was to prevent losing a blade when you hit something ?
So now I need to "STILL" carry a spare prop and hub "just in case" ?
So why do I need a SS prop ?

I threw one off a 25P Fury. Still have it. Going to take it to the Mercury support team at the next Open I fish and will see if they want to look into how it happened. I'm guessing it weakened over time from bumpimg stumps, but to fly off on the first run of the morning after running all day the day before... And there were no bumps the day before... Regardless, I think I would go through several aluminum props in the amount of time I got out of the Fury.
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: How many of you carry a spare prop in the boat? - 06/25/15 08:21 PM

I never carried a spare prop but I did pull my prop off and have it re-hubbed and worked around February every year while things were slow. I had zero issues with props......
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: How many of you carry a spare prop in the boat? - 06/25/15 09:38 PM

Tournament fishing, I always keep a spare for the Yammie and the trolling motor, along with the necessary tools. If I'm just fun fishing, I'll take out the big prop and leave in the trolling motor prop.
Posted By: Fritz423

Re: How many of you carry a spare prop in the boat? - 06/26/15 01:11 AM

I carry a cell phone.
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: How many of you carry a spare prop in the boat? - 06/26/15 02:39 AM

like Jim Sr said yep.....
Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: How many of you carry a spare prop in the boat? - 06/26/15 12:57 PM

I do.
Posted By: El Skeeter

Re: How many of you carry a spare prop in the boat? - 06/26/15 09:17 PM

I carry a spare SS prop, extra thrust washer, cotter pins, 1 11/16 deep sock for torque
wrench, Also carry a spare MK TM prop along with 9/16 socket and a 9/16 wrench as a backup.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum