Texas Fishing Forum

How many setups???

Posted By: serg1001

How many setups??? - 06/24/15 07:41 PM

Hey everyone. As of recently, I have been lucky enough start buying more rods and build more combos. Being that I am a college student and do not have a job anymore, it is a bit tough to have absolutely everything needed. However, I have managed to get myself on some decent stuff and was wondering if how I can use all these combos and setups and maybe hear from you all if I am missing something in specific that I should add to my arsenal. Below I will list what I have and what I use it for.

Tour Star heavy cover flipping and pitching rod that adjusts from 7'2" to 7'8". (right now I dont have a reel for it but I feel it would be a good A rig rod)

Duckett micro magic 7'3" MH (I use it for texas rigs, and smaller soft body swimbaits with a 6.5:1 reel)

Quantum Smoke rod 7'0" MH (I use it for smaller spinnerbaits around flooded timber where there isnt much heavy cover with a 7.3:1 reel)

BPS Crankin Stick MH in 7'10" (Of course I use this one for deep cranking with a 5.1:1 reel)

Older TFO rod XHeavy in 7'6" (Usually use it as my deep water C Rig with a 6.3:1)

Older All Star rod in 6'6" (I find this rod to be great with smaller lipless cranks of about maybe half an ounce with a 6.3:1)

Falcon Jason Christie limited edition rod in 7'3" Heavy Mod. Fast (currently have no reel for it)

And there you have it, that is all my arsenal as of right now. I am wanting to get my hands on two reels with a higher speed within the 7s to use on my 2 rods without reels. Any suggestions on what else I should add or how I can better use my gear? Should I change some combos around by swapping reels from one rod to another? Etc. Thanks.

- Sergio Tello
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: How many setups??? - 06/24/15 08:58 PM

When I was fishing co-angler stuff I concentrated on bringing rods that I could use for multi-purpose applications. You can really cover the spectrum by only carrying 4-5 combos.

Med action rod--- cranks/top waters/weightless
Med/heavy-- spinnerbaits, T-rig, small swimbaits, light C-rig
Heavy-- T-rig, Jigs, Heavy C-rig, bigger swimbaits
Fiberglass cranking-- med to big cranks

Reel ratio is nice, but not specifically necessary.

But of course I would have to go through the 18-20 combos I keep in the boat and the other 20-25 or so in my front closet..... Dedicated technique combos are nice, but not necessary.
Posted By: catslayer

Re: How many setups??? - 06/24/15 09:18 PM

I took 4 set ups to college competition, the most I had until I got a big kid job was 6. Your doing all right... If I did anything I'd look at a lews superduty in 8-1... I like FAST reels...

Re: How many setups??? - 06/25/15 03:57 PM

Thanks for your responses, I appreciate that. Anyone else have anything to add?
Posted By: basslegacy

Re: How many setups??? - 06/26/15 02:21 AM

Don't be like me and have one of every brand out there. Find a quality brand you like and buy their rods/reels only. I heard Rick Clunn say this and it is good advice. As for how many set ups you "need" well that really depends on you and how good you want to get. I think 15 or so is enough.

Re: How many setups??? - 06/26/15 06:20 AM

Originally Posted By: basslegacy
Don't be like me and have one of every brand out there. Find a quality brand you like and buy their rods/reels only. I heard Rick Clunn say this and it is good advice. As for how many set ups you "need" well that really depends on you and how good you want to get. I think 15 or so is enough.

I would really like to only have one brand of everything but it is hard for me to do so with no job right now. What I do is wait until a find a good deal on a rod or reel and then make the purchase. I have saved so much doing so. I'm also wanting to add more and more combos so hopefully in a year or 2 I can be at least at 10 combos haha. Thanks..
Posted By: Hook in Mouth

Re: How many setups??? - 06/26/15 09:50 AM

Yo Sergio, don't forget to rig up a spinning combo for the all important 'drop shot' style.
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: How many setups??? - 06/26/15 12:30 PM

I drop shot and shakey head with my weightless baitcaster set up just fine
Posted By: 6BOOMER

Re: How many setups??? - 06/26/15 12:38 PM

I carry 15 rods in the boat unfortunately really use about 5/6. Get good quality setups with multi purpose use and limit yourself to a number your happy with and you can afford.
Posted By: JFGloor

Re: How many setups??? - 06/26/15 08:34 PM

just keep buying them when you can. you'll never have enough no matter what
Posted By: 98Champion

Re: How many setups??? - 06/27/15 02:10 AM

I carry 19 in my boat at all times but how many do I actually use during a tournament or weekend trip, about 6-7 of them. Of course which 6-7 I use depends on the lake I'm fishing and which type bass I'm concentrating on. like said above I would add a dropshot specific spinning combo with light flouro line. I use a 6'6" falcon medium action which is a little more forgiving if you have a tendency of setting the hook a little too hard like myself.
Posted By: Topwater2

Re: How many setups??? - 06/27/15 02:23 AM

I have 17 on board and might use 5 or 6 throughout the day. I'm going tomorrow and I have 4 on deck. That number changes when I hit Amistad or Falcon.

Re: How many setups??? - 06/27/15 07:54 AM

Thanks to everyone who has responded. As far as using a spinning for finesse applications, is 6'6" medium a standard I should go by? What kind of taper? And how deep can I dropshot? This is something I rarely ever do. Thanks?
Posted By: Hook in Mouth

Re: How many setups??? - 06/28/15 11:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Fish Killer

I was directing my response towards the OP. I'm sure you're a spectacular drop shot angler with the wrong gear.

Sergio, I would suggest a 7' rod for drop shot rig. You may want that extra length in deeper water. I've fished as deep as 65 feet with drop shot.....just remember to have different sized drop shot weights handy. I usually fish it with 8lb test but may up it to 12lb flouro when fishing deep.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: How many setups??? - 06/28/15 12:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Hook in Mouth
Originally Posted By: Fish Killer

I was directing my response towards the OP. I'm sure you're a spectacular drop shot angler with the wrong gear.

Sergio, I would suggest a 7' rod for drop shot rig. You may want that extra length in deeper water. I've fished as deep as 65 feet with drop shot.....just remember to have different sized drop shot weights handy. I usually fish it with 8lb test but may up it to 12lb flouro when fishing deep.

Why is his gear "wrong"? Because it's not a fixed spool reel?

One of the best anglers I know is also one of the best drop shot anglers period. About half the time, he uses a bait caster for drop shot applications. Trust me, the guy has spinning gear. He gets all his rods and reels for free. He will even turn his bait casting setup on its side... One or twice I've seen him hold it upside down! While drop shot fishing. I would never say he is using the wrong gear. Only thing I might do is joke with him. He is also known as one of the most meticulous tackle organizers in fishing. So, I know he has the correct equipment for any application.

Who do you think is the best drop shot angler in the world? I bet we are thinking of the same guy. Aaron Martens.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum