Texas Fishing Forum

How Many Crankbait Rods?

Posted By: LoneStarHusker

How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/23/15 04:43 PM

How many different crankbait rods do you usually keep tied up this time of year?
Posted By: Bass_Fanatic

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/23/15 05:04 PM

I'll have 6 different cranking rods rigged up at all times
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/23/15 05:05 PM

4, deep, mid, squarebill, lipless
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/23/15 05:51 PM

I usually keep 4-5: squarebill, medium diver, two deeps cranks, and sometimes a lipless crank
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/23/15 06:06 PM

If I'm gonna be offshore all day usually have 5 rods rigged with 6xd/8xd/10xd. If I'm also fishing shallower water Ill have 2 square bill rods and maybe a 5xd rod
Posted By: SRitchey

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/23/15 06:13 PM

Y'all are either rich or must win a lot of money in tournaments to dedicate that much money in rigs for cranking any time of the year! Overkill in my opinion and proves advertising pays. I seem to get along just fine with two.
Posted By: Brent S

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/23/15 06:15 PM

1 for 10xd, 1 for 6xd, 1 for squarebill or trap.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/23/15 06:16 PM

3-5 is pretty common and not overkill. If you are fishing ledges 2 won't get it done unless you are on one particular depth all day.
Posted By: LoneStarHusker

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/23/15 06:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)
If I'm gonna be offshore all day usually have 5 rods rigged with 6xd/8xd/10xd. If I'm also fishing shallower water Ill have 2 square bill rods and maybe a 5xd rod

Do you notice much of a difference between the 8xd & 10xd?

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/23/15 06:34 PM

Originally Posted By: LoneStarHusker

Do you notice much of a difference between the 8xd & 10xd?

8xd is more of a 6xd than a 10xd it pulls the same as a 6xd and dives deeper has larger profile. If you are targeting the 20ft range and trying to dig bottom as long as possible this is your bait. a 6xd will hit 20ft but you need a long cast and 10/12lb line. This 8xd seems to get down to that depth most of the time with 12-15lb line.
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/23/15 06:36 PM

2 for me. 1 for square bills, DT6's and such. Another for Series 5-6XD, DD22's etc.
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/23/15 06:36 PM

Posted By: forkduc

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/23/15 06:40 PM

Posted By: JacksonBean

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/23/15 06:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Brent S
1 for 10xd, 1 for 6xd, 1 for squarebill or trap.

+1

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/23/15 07:18 PM

Originally Posted By: SRitchey
Y'all are either rich or must win a lot of money in tournaments to dedicate that much money in rigs for cranking any time of the year! Overkill in my opinion and proves advertising pays. I seem to get along just fine with two.

Can't tell if you're trolling or just an ignorant comment? I use four now and looking to add a couple more. I can't say I'm very rich or win a lot of money in tournaments. I have a job, does that count? If you think that is overkill then your opinion is in the minority. Also that doesn't prove anything about advertising (that's foolish) if a fisherman who knows how to fish a certain technique, and uses the proper equipment, only trial and error, and time on the water, are the factors that dictate rod count(again not advertising). If you get along fine with two, more power to ya, but you sure won't be catching more than the guys that have four or five. Thanks for playin' popcorn
Posted By: BassSAT

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/23/15 07:38 PM

You can never have to many...!

Ever known a mechanic with only one wrench or screwdriver?
Posted By: buda13

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/23/15 07:42 PM

Originally Posted By: lipjerk
but you sure won't be catching more than the guys that have four or five.

I believe you can only fish with one at a time. eeks bolt

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/23/15 07:51 PM

Originally Posted By: buda13

Amateur wink
Posted By: buda13

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/23/15 07:52 PM

LOL!
Posted By: DTX Angler

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/23/15 07:59 PM

Originally Posted By: buda13

What I was going to say roflmao. I only keep 2 with me one for square bills/rattle traps and the other for med. and deep divers.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/23/15 08:05 PM

That's what I'm thinking. Lol. I have one cranking rod. And I double one of my jig rods as a deep cranking rod when needed.

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/23/15 08:08 PM

Can't tell if you're trolling or just an ignorant comment? I use four now and looking to add a couple more. I can't say I'm very rich or win a lot of money in tournaments. I have a job, does that count? If you think that is overkill then your opinion is in the minority. Also that doesn't prove anything about advertising (that's foolish) if a fisherman who knows how to fish a certain technique, and uses the proper equipment, only trial and error, and time on the water, are the factors that dictate rod count(again not advertising). If you get along fine with two, more power to ya, but you sure won't be catching more than the guys that have four or five. Thanks for playin' popcorn

Not trolling lol...just my .02
Posted By: Revoman

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/23/15 08:14 PM

Posted By: texasbass1

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/23/15 08:44 PM

During the summer and winter 5, spring and fall 4
Posted By: jbhall1183

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/23/15 08:52 PM

So if lip jerk has 10 rods and KVD only has one.. Lipjerk will surely beat him every stinking time! That's good stuff right there!
Posted By: TXBeerHunter

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/23/15 09:07 PM

I was just trying to figure our what kind of aircraft carrier you were fishing from, 5 cranking rods, got to have a jig rod, a C rig rod, a swim bait rod, a drop shot rod, shaky head, T rig, and a top water and frog rod. I wouldn't be able to move around.

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/23/15 09:21 PM

Originally Posted By: jbhall1183
So if lip jerk has 10 rods and KVD only has one.. Lipjerk will surely beat him every stinking time! That's good stuff right there!

Yes, please call him and set it up, tell him to bet what he wants to win, I'm all over it bolt having more rods means less time retying, more casts, more fish, mo money!
Posted By: buton

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/23/15 09:26 PM

well lipjerk can have as many rods as he can and fit in his boat, if had a bigger boat i will usually do what he is doing..

i have 3 rods dedicated NOT TO PLASTICS.

Deedpdiver and 10 feet cranks
squarebills and lipless
chatterbait

Posted By: Texas Husker

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/23/15 09:45 PM

At my age, I have decided I no longer want to crank away all day. So, I gave about 200 crank baits to my Freshman grandson and he is going to be selling them on e-bay. I kept my chuggers and that's about all.
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/23/15 09:45 PM

In my boat, at least 4, in someone else's boat, at least 2, if not 3 if the CB bite is on. Of the at least 4, Deep diver, mid diver, shallow diver, squarebill (which I have been using since 2000) and a general all purpose that can handle any of them, if it is spring, then a trap rod or 2 trap rods, too. In someone else's boat, 2 deep diver and shallow diver. No, not that rich and I have not bought into the hype of fishing CBs. I JUST FISH CBs a LOT, 100% of the trips, even have 5 published articles on fishing them. SO, I LIKE CBs a whole LOT!!!!!. LOL. Hope this helps.

Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: jbhall1183

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/23/15 09:52 PM

Lipjerk why are u not pro yet? Sounds like u got what it takes. Many rods!

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/23/15 10:09 PM

And a jersey brah
Posted By: jbcarroll3000

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/23/15 10:10 PM

banana

It's nice when someone so readily identifies themselves as someone who's future posts I can just skip over.

To give input on the original question, I don't love to crank and so my response admittedly will be lower than those who love to crank. I'll almost always have a square bill tied on and only recently have I routinely carried a 2nd rod dedicated to 5xd-8xd. That rod only makes it in the boat if I found fish pre-fishing that I think will best react to a deeper crank. My confidence baits are plastics, jigs, c-rigs, dropshot, chatter baits, etc, so as other people have pointed out, with limited boat room, those presentations are going to get more rod dedication.

If you like 4 or 5 rods for cranks, that's great, but I wouldn't automatically assume that you would destroy me every time on the water, or vice versa. Confidence is becoming; arrogance is off-putting.

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/24/15 01:46 AM

Originally Posted By: jbcarroll3000

If you like 4 or 5 rods for cranks, that's great, but I wouldn't automatically assume that you would destroy me every time on the water, or vice versa. Confidence is becoming; arrogance is off-putting.

Well said!
Posted By: CCCL

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/24/15 01:56 AM

I have three: Deep, mid, Square Bill
Posted By: Peepaw on Fork

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/24/15 01:57 AM

2 for cranks, but I prefer to pitch a jig or tube
Posted By: 1 Oar

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/24/15 02:04 AM

2, one to tangle with my C-rig, and one to tangle with my jig rod.............

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/24/15 02:39 AM

Yes, please call him and set it up, tell him to bet what he wants to win, I'm all over it bolt having more rods means less time retying, more casts, more fish, mo money!
no, it means 2,3,4,5x longer when you get around to deciding that it's time to change lure colors. Lol.

Also, what amount of time are you saving? How often do you throw what's already on, instead of what you should be throwing? It takes me less than a minute to change a crank bait and around half of that time is spent digging out the 3700 box with cranks. Lol. The equipment I use averages around $800 a combo. Spending $800 to save 30 seconds sounds crazy for me. Maybe for someone that has lots of extra money can afford it. Not me.
Posted By: Flipnstik48

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/24/15 03:03 AM

I want to play!!!

I love cranking as well. That being said....I only dedicate 2 rods to dd and one other from 8' and above. I usually I have one on I can rock the bottom out at 20+ and another for suspended. I have way to many rods to begin with and having 4-7 rods on deck at once is frustrating as heck to me. Plus, I can change baits pretty dang fast and if a person beats me back into the water by 30sec of fishing I don't think I'm going to sweat it to much..... Especially my fishing partner.
Posted By: timwins31

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/24/15 04:07 AM

Anywhere from 1 to 4. Depends on how I plan on fishing that day. If I'm gonna be cranking then 4, occasionally 5.
Posted By: cephusjoe

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/24/15 04:31 AM

I keep 9 rods in the box and that's all the set up I have, 2 are spinning (drop shot and shaky head). That leave 7 baitcasters. Of those 7, 1 is solely for c-rig... That leaves 6 that I can adjust to the season. I have 2 crankbaits tied on as we speak.
Posted By: T54

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/24/15 04:49 AM

I've got 6. Use 4 in the summer.
Posted By: Jigfish

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/24/15 10:28 AM

5 cranking rods overkill, I will have 3 or so but I'm a shallow water guy. I guess 5 or 6 flipping sticks is over kill, Not
Posted By: papamark

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/24/15 11:07 AM

How ever many my partner has rigged up. why knock the paint off my baits - roflmao
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/24/15 11:19 AM

2 or 3
Squarebill
7'-10'
10'-20'

I'm usually saltwater fishing mostly this time of year though...
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/24/15 02:05 PM

That's funny! I've never been on enough fish that retying made a difference.
Posted By: Cmack

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/24/15 07:43 PM

Originally Posted By: 1 Oar
2, one to tangle with my C-rig, and one to tangle with my jig rod.............

WooHooo!!!!!! A man after my own heart
Posted By: Bois d'arc

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/25/15 12:25 PM

2 crankin' rods. One for big baits one for small baits. Speed clips for quick lure changes. In a pinch I use my spinnerbait rod for crankbaits too.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/25/15 03:58 PM

I have one rod and reel for each:
10XD
8XD
6XD
DD22
Square Bill

Although I don't fish crank baits as much as I do soft plastics.
Posted By: NTX Fisherman

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/25/15 06:45 PM

Originally Posted By: boisarc
2 crankin' rods. One for big baits one for small baits. Speed clips for quick lure changes. In a pinch I use my spinnerbait rod for crankbaits too.

Exactly the same for me.

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/25/15 07:33 PM

Originally Posted By: TXBeerHunter

I was just trying to figure our what kind of aircraft carrier you were fishing from, 5 cranking rods, got to have a jig rod, a C rig rod, a swim bait rod, a drop shot rod, shaky head, T rig, and a top water and frog rod. I wouldn't be able to move around.

My aircraft carrier is called a skeeter! I have 10-12 rods on my deck sometimes during the summer and get around great
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/25/15 08:24 PM

17 usually.

4 with 10XD's - My favorite 4 colors
4 with 8XD's - " "
4 with DD22's - " "
4 with 5XD's - " "
One with a Square Bill

All Steez rigs too....

Posted By: TXBeerHunter

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/25/15 08:34 PM

Originally Posted By: TXBeerHunter

My aircraft carrier is called a skeeter! I have 10-12 rods on my deck sometimes during the summer and get around great

Mine is a ZX225, and I never have 10-12 rods on the front deck, maybe 6, maybe a couple in the back, but that is likely all ( a few spares in the rod box in case of a breakoff, or a reel problem). 6 rods on each side on front doesn't leave a much room to move around.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/25/15 08:57 PM

I own seven or eight crankin' rods and reels. If they're eating cranks really well deep I may have 6 of them on the deck with different deep cranks on them. If they're not eating them well, I still keep one on the deck. Squarebill time I typically only have two. I do a lot of strolling or long-lining this time of year. If the fish are eating really good and I hang up, I'll break off and grab another set-up. That's why the six on the deck. Once you get 'em fired up, you gotta keep 'em fired up. Taking time to re-tie or use a lure knocker sometimes decreases success.
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/26/15 02:24 AM

Ken A

Posted By: Douglas J

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/26/15 02:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.
17 usually.

4 with 8XD's - " "
4 with DD22's - " "
4 with 5XD's - " "
One with a Square Bill

All Steez rigs too....

Baller with no budget!
Posted By: machinist

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/26/15 03:33 AM

You know I remember when we were all bass fishing with Garcia Ambassadeur 5000"s on mostly
Wright & McGill or Fenwick fiberglass rods. Usually we only had 1 outfit because we didn't
have the money for 2. Then Skyline Graphite came out so everyone saved up to buy a 2nd setup.
I fished for many years with just 2 rods & reels in my boat and caught lots of bass and won
lots of money. What I am saying is you don't have to have a dozen rods scattered all over the
deck to catch fish or win tourneys. You do it because KVD, Ike and such do it. You see the pros
do it so that is the way to do it. Hell half the pros don't even fish their sponsor's lures.
I was fishing with my old time partner not long ago in his boat. I took 4 rods & reals. I looked
in the rod box of his Ranger and counted 29 rods & reels but he fishes with the same 3 or 4 99%
of the time. The others are just for show in case someone looks in his rod box.
Posted By: Kevin Bryant

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/26/15 03:55 AM

6 or 8 XD
5 XD
Xcalibur squarebill
And one that's a secret!
Posted By: AgSellers04

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/26/15 03:58 AM

Anywhere from one to four
Posted By: fishmagnet

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/26/15 04:05 AM

Posted By: ezbassin

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/26/15 12:58 PM

17 usually.

4 with 8XD's - " "
4 with DD22's - " "
4 with 5XD's - " "
One with a Square Bill

All Steez rigs too....

And what else do you have rigged up in the boat to go with those 17 cranking rigs?

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/26/15 01:08 PM

Gg
Originally Posted By: ezbassin
17 usually.

4 with 8XD's - " "
4 with DD22's - " "
4 with 5XD's - " "
One with a Square Bill

All Steez rigs too....

And what else do you have rigged up in the boat to go with those 17 cranking rigs?

He has 44 Steez rigs in all. He would have 50, but they are being discontinued. Haha. But, I heard that Megabass has been alloted a huge load of the final Steez run for modifying into Hyoer Lariats. So he might be upgrading.

Finally. Someone "gets it".
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/26/15 10:29 PM

Originally Posted By: txmasterpo
Ken A

LOL

I figured since everyone was flipping theirs out on the table I may as well too....
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/27/15 01:06 AM

I kind of think it's silly but I looked and I have 3 on right now....SB, Bandit 300, and a 500DD.....I fished most of my life with 2-4 rigs period.....
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/27/15 01:07 AM

Mine are in the rack but I have one for traps, one for shallow to medium divers, one for top water to shallow, and one for plowing trenches in the bottom of the lake with DD22's, 20+'s etc. Most all except the deep diver rig all are some variation of a medium action 6.5 to 7 foot straight cork grip old skool American made All Star's, Falcon's, and Diawa........
Posted By: Prat85

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/28/15 04:30 AM

Better question. How many TYPES of crankbaits?
Posted By: Bassalong

Re: How Many Crankbait Rods? - 06/29/15 01:35 AM

For deep cranks 6XD or DD22 I bought a Clarus 7'6. Don't like it entirely because for me it is a little tippy and loads up too fast for real long casts. For square bills and other shallow cranking I like something 7' or less that is soft enough in the right part of the blank that I can roll cast under limbs and get into tight spaces. A rod that works for me might not work for someone else.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum