Texas Fishing Forum

Can you guys answer me this?

Posted By: Workfishngolf37

Can you guys answer me this? - 06/22/15 06:39 PM

I took my boat to have a thru the hull transducer installed and have them save the old transducer. Instead they move the transducer that was mounted on the transom and epoxy it next to the transdurcer that was in the hull already. There's no way it could have been center since the first transducer is centered. The installer said that's the way they always do it. His reasoning was that by trying to get old transducer out sometimes breaks the hull. My question is. Does this sound right? Is this the professional way to install thru the hull transducer?
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Can you guys answer me this? - 06/22/15 07:02 PM

I have two thru hulls mounted in my boat next to each other. One is my old flasher and one is for my Lowrance. No issues. I have also removed one to replace it, it didn't damage anything. Just had to tap it with a mallet to break the epoxy loose.
Posted By: Workfishngolf37

Re: Can you guys answer me this? - 06/22/15 07:54 PM

Is there a big difference in using thru the hull transducer vs the transducer that come in the box when I bought the unit? That's meant for transom mount.
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Can you guys answer me this? - 06/22/15 07:59 PM

Durability, wear and tear is a lot better since its not getting beat on by stumps and rocks.
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: Can you guys answer me this? - 06/22/15 08:06 PM

I mounted mine on the side also. Mine was originally supposed to be an outside the hull Xducer, but I mounted it inside the boat for the reasons Fish Killer stated. works perfect and never an issue.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Can you guys answer me this? - 06/22/15 08:08 PM

Some people can't get the transom mounted to work when on plane. Thru the hill will give them readings at speed and won't get damaged by stumps. If you use side imaging you will need the transom mount but can also mount the thru hull for 2d reasons at speed.

As far as the original post, I can understand them not removing the original, if they are able to mount another one because they don't know how it was put in place originally and if it did damage when removing, they'd be liable. The fact that you asked for the other to be removed and saved, they should have atleast discussed it with you before making their own decision on how to proceed. Other than that reason, I see no reason that the new transducer shouldn't work just as well as you probably won't be able to see the difference of a few inches on your screen.

You did pay for the service and if you aren't happy then take it back and have them repair it.
Posted By: furim2

Re: Can you guys answer me this? - 06/22/15 08:13 PM

Sounds like your question is, "should the thru hull transducer be centered?" That's not a big deal as long as it was mounted shooting straight down. I would have a problem with mounting a skimmer transducer thru the hull. I have always used the puck type because they have a flat bottom. You want complete contact with the transducer and the hull. Installed correctly, they are not coming out. If you had a puck transducer mounted at your transom, I would not have any worries with this set up.
Posted By: SRitchey

Re: Can you guys answer me this? - 06/23/15 12:34 AM

A skimmer ducer will work just as well as a puck for shoot thru applications IF installed properly. It's a little tougher but really not that hard. Mine reads at WOT no problems.
Posted By: slim 285

Re: Can you guys answer me this? - 06/23/15 12:42 AM

If I take it to someone and tell them what I what and they don't do it the way I wanted it. Yes we have problems.
Posted By: DAN-O

Re: Can you guys answer me this? - 06/23/15 01:33 PM

I have two in the bottom of mine, and fixing to add a third one. I don't want to cut wires on old ones that came with boat in case I ever need to use it with another locator. I have one on front with the TM too. If it's not broke...don't fix it. My .02. One up front is a lowrance X65. Two in back are Lowrance flasher original in the dash, and now a Lowrance LMS 520. No interference at all, and GPS is old school disc mounted on the top of the side rail.
Posted By: cayuro

Re: Can you guys answer me this? - 06/23/15 02:21 PM

thats right dont worry
Posted By: JacksonBean

Re: Can you guys answer me this? - 06/23/15 03:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Workfishngolf37
I took my boat to have a thru the hull transducer installed and have them save the old transducer. Instead they move the transducer that was mounted on the transom and epoxy it next to the transdurcer that was in the hull already. There's no way it could have been center since the first transducer is centered. The installer said that's the way they always do it. His reasoning was that by trying to get old transducer out sometimes breaks the hull. My question is. Does this sound right? Is this the professional way to install thru the hull transducer?

How well is it marking the bottom cover you are familiar with?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum