Texas Fishing Forum

Anyone ever had a bass "catch" a lure?

Posted By: TxBassSniper

Anyone ever had a bass "catch" a lure? - 06/19/15 05:29 AM

As in...a bass jumped out of the water and caught the lure before it hit the water.

Fish Tight,

John
Posted By: pYr8

Re: Anyone ever had a bass "catch" a lure? - 06/19/15 06:08 AM

Yup, on flight and hanging over a branch. Their aggressiveness is what keeps me going...
Posted By: Dosser

Re: Anyone ever had a bass "catch" a lure? - 06/19/15 07:11 AM

Had one come out of the water and grab a buzzbait I had hung over a limb, a couple inches above the water if that counts

Re: Anyone ever had a bass "catch" a lure? - 06/19/15 08:06 AM

Definitely cool...but I was thinking more like, while the lure was on the fly, as opposed to hanging over the water.

Had one come completely out of the water on a trap one time on Livingston, but I'm still not sure if he actually saw it coming and tried to catch it or if he was just jumping out of the water after something else. Anyway, if he was after it, he missed (probably got mud in his eyes! LOL!) and he didn't hit on the retrieve.

I'm guessing this has to be the most rare of all ways to catch a bass, and probably more likely while pitching/flipping as opposed to casting.
Posted By: WCLBASS

Re: Anyone ever had a bass "catch" a lure? - 06/19/15 09:20 AM

On Ray Bob years ago, saw a bull frog leap from the bank and intercept a plastic worm in flight
Posted By: SpiderJig

Re: Anyone ever had a bass "catch" a lure? - 06/19/15 11:06 AM

Was fishing with a buddy in the grasslands one night. A big ol bass jumped out of the water to grab his tax rigged worm right before it would have hit the water. Only time I've ever seen it
Posted By: timwins31

Re: Anyone ever had a bass "catch" a lure? - 06/19/15 11:53 AM

I've had a few grab worms from overhanging limbs on bad casts, but the best one I've had was throwing a spinnerbait into pads, that fish came a foot out of the water and caught that spinnerbait directly in the mouth. It was one of the coolest bites I've ever had.
Posted By: papamark

Re: Anyone ever had a bass "catch" a lure? - 06/19/15 12:06 PM

Had a 3 lber once jump in the boat, he was chasing a shad, it cleared the boat but the bass didn't, he landed on the back deck and just laid there
Posted By: JerryC

Re: Anyone ever had a bass "catch" a lure? - 06/19/15 12:32 PM

Had a 3 Lber catch a white spinner bait in the air on Lake Tyler 3 years ago.
Posted By: OldCrow

Re: Anyone ever had a bass "catch" a lure? - 06/19/15 12:44 PM

Had one jump and hit worm a few inches above the water once, but only once.
Posted By: kirbydog

Re: Anyone ever had a bass "catch" a lure? - 06/19/15 12:45 PM

I was throwing a tube shallow early morning and a spot came out of the water and caught it just before it
hit the water-good sized spot too.
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Anyone ever had a bass "catch" a lure? - 06/19/15 01:15 PM

Had several dinks at my Grandparents 3acre lake in Arkansas take a Manns Mosquito Hawk bait inches above their head out of water...They were feasting on Dragon flies.(Snake Doctor) as my pop would say.
Posted By: Matt Jackson

Re: Anyone ever had a bass "catch" a lure? - 06/19/15 01:22 PM

I have had several catch a top water bait inches from hitting the water.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Anyone ever had a bass "catch" a lure? - 06/19/15 02:14 PM

A couple of early Novembers ago I launched at sunrise and was catching bass left and right on a Bandit 200. I made a long cast and the very instant it landed next to a submerged bush a bass smashed the surface, coming out of the water. About a minute after landing the bass, a brisk cold 20mph north wind blew in dropping the air temp 15 degrees.
It was the last bite I got that day.
Posted By: shank-n-bass

Re: Anyone ever had a bass "catch" a lure? - 06/19/15 02:33 PM

Had one hit it right as it was touching the water and came out to a full breach, but not the most interesting ive experienced.

That would go to one afternoon on Lake Pat Cleburne with my buddy on here, Catslayer. Both fishing a C rig around a weed line. He gets a bit hung, and my smartass throws over his line. Then all the sudden I set the hook and have one on. As I set the hook on my fish, I unknowingly also set the hook on his line that was getting bit. Our lines untangle, and both fish are landed.
Posted By: EastTexasBassin

Re: Anyone ever had a bass "catch" a lure? - 06/19/15 02:42 PM

Haven't seen a bass catch a lure, but I was fishing a buzzbait by a laydown once and a bass jumped up out of the middle and hit my buzzbait from ABOVE. I couldn't believe it.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Anyone ever had a bass "catch" a lure? - 06/19/15 02:56 PM

Originally Posted By: papamark
Had a 3 lber once jump in the boat, he was chasing a shad, it cleared the boat but the bass didn't, he landed on the back deck and just laid there

Did you say; you no bite you no ride and threw it back?
Posted By: aggiegolfer

Re: Anyone ever had a bass "catch" a lure? - 06/19/15 02:59 PM

I've had one blow up on a floating worm then jump up and get it on the way DOWN with the worm on top of a lily pad.

Also, saw a bass eat a blackbird nested on a pad that day.
Posted By: bbassfishes

Re: Anyone ever had a bass "catch" a lure? - 06/19/15 03:23 PM

I actually had this happen last weekend. I was tossing a TX-rigged Senko into the grass trolling really fast hitting one spot twice and moving on. The second toss on one spot the little dink caught it before it ever made it to the water. Obviously I didn't get him in, but I just had to laugh at how small he was vs. his aggressiveness.
Posted By: bccougar

Re: Anyone ever had a bass "catch" a lure? - 06/19/15 03:36 PM

twice. one caught a jerk bait during prespawn the other caught a white spinner bait in the fall both were only about 6 inches above the water and both were in a lake with 7-8 foot visibility. In that same lake, I saw a kingfisher get taken down as he was tipping his wings on the water. 12+ pounder must have seen him coming and jumped up and grabbed him. he took him under but the bird came back up. the fish grabbed him again and that was all she wrote. think about that next time you think your top water is too big.
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: Anyone ever had a bass "catch" a lure? - 06/19/15 03:45 PM

Fishing Ute lake in New Mexico and had a square bill hanging off the side of the boat and a smallmoutb came up and got it.
Posted By: Captain Break-Off

Re: Anyone ever had a bass "catch" a lure? - 06/19/15 04:03 PM

Back when Fork had grass, had a 7lber knock a spook up into the air, followed it out of the water and then landed on it with her mouth open when it fell back into the water. She wanted that thing bad! Only myself and the guy that I was with saw it but I would have loved to have had a go-pro back then. Coolest experience of all of my fishing days.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Anyone ever had a bass "catch" a lure? - 06/19/15 04:07 PM

I've had them grab the frog when its still skipping, roll casting into heavy cover and a nice 5 lb fish grabbed it on the 2nd of what would have been 3 or 4 skips and probably another 4 ft before it came to rest.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Anyone ever had a bass "catch" a lure? - 06/19/15 04:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Captain Break-Off
Back when Fork had grass, had a 7lber knock a spook up into the air, followed it out of the water and then landed on it with her mouth open when it fell back into the water. She wanted that thing bad! Only myself and the guy that I was with saw it but I would have loved to have had a go-pro back then. Coolest experience of all of my fishing days.

Awesome!
Posted By: planogator

Re: Anyone ever had a bass "catch" a lure? - 06/19/15 04:18 PM

Had a one catch a Yellow Magic about 6 inches before it hit the water on Ray Bob.
Posted By: krawlin 47

Re: Anyone ever had a bass "catch" a lure? - 06/19/15 04:35 PM

last weekend I caught a crankbait and a c-rig!
Posted By: krawlin 47

Re: Anyone ever had a bass "catch" a lure? - 06/19/15 04:37 PM

well I obviously cant read!

I did have a night where twice I was throwing a yellow majic and bass caught it before it hit the water...pretty funny!
Posted By: JFGloor

Re: Anyone ever had a bass "catch" a lure? - 06/19/15 05:09 PM

I know I've seen them hit it just the moment it lands. But one of the coolest things I saw and made me wonder exactly how much they see what's going on above the surface. Was one time on Martin Creek with 1Shot we saw 2 birds come flying in pretty fast, and were flying about a foot or less from the water. When a bass jumps out and hits one. I don't remember if it got it or not but it just amazed me as to how that fish could have seen them come down like that and time it so well.
Posted By: StratVoodoo

Re: Anyone ever had a bass "catch" a lure? - 06/19/15 05:12 PM

Here lately, I haven't even been able to get them to catch one in the water much less out of it!
Posted By: M. Alexander

Re: Anyone ever had a bass "catch" a lure? - 06/19/15 06:22 PM

Once, and it was flippin' awesome! Several times I've had 'em right as my lure hit the water, but only once where it caught it mid air.
Posted By: cove_crawler

Re: Anyone ever had a bass "catch" a lure? - 06/19/15 06:24 PM

I was working a spook one morning, and had one nail it so hard, it knocked the spook about 3 feet up in the air. As soon as the bait came back down, he nailed it again, sending it up in the air again. As it came back down, he went for a 3rd strike, came completely out of the water and caught it about a foot and a half above the surface. I just stood there and watched the show until it was time to reel. THE best strike or series of strikes I've ever experienced.
Posted By: timwins31

Re: Anyone ever had a bass "catch" a lure? - 06/19/15 07:28 PM

Originally Posted By: EastTexasBassin
Haven't seen a bass catch a lure, but I was fishing a buzzbait by a laydown once and a bass jumped up out of the middle and hit my buzzbait from ABOVE. I couldn't believe it.

Dude I've had that happen too. I was throwing a spook at Hords Creek back in high school and had a small fish completely breach the water and land mouth first on the lure. I had actually forgot about that. Awesome memory.

Re: Anyone ever had a bass "catch" a lure? - 06/19/15 10:55 PM

Was fishing a T on Rayburn once throwing a chug bug. Kept getting blowups but couldn't hook up, changed colors sizes and it kept happening. Then I watched closer and the bass were actually jumping beside the lure and coming down on top of it, much like when a great white or killer whale plays with a seal. I bent the hooks out and caught several on the outside of the gill plate. Turned out to be the difference in a third place check and no check.
Only time I can remember that happening, but I still bend the hooks out slightly on all my topwater baits and it has increased my hook-up ratio.
Posted By: Chris Borden

Re: Anyone ever had a bass "catch" a lure? - 06/19/15 11:09 PM

Throwing a shakeyhead on lake worthless I had one come out of the water and swallow it before it ever hit the water.
Posted By: TOMCAT21

Re: Anyone ever had a bass "catch" a lure? - 06/20/15 01:01 AM

Had a bass jump up and over one side of a log and hit a spinnerbait as I was retrieving the spinnerbait down the opposite side of the log.
Posted By: cephusjoe

Re: Anyone ever had a bass "catch" a lure? - 06/20/15 01:10 AM

Originally Posted By: WCLBASS
On Ray Bob years ago, saw a bull frog leap from the bank and intercept a plastic worm in flight

I started laughing when I read this, my co-worker as me if I was ok.... I said "you wouldn't understand". He don't fish
Posted By: JoeFriday

Re: Anyone ever had a bass "catch" a lure? - 06/20/15 05:23 AM

One time. I was on a small private lake and threw a lizard. Bass jumped up at it before it hit the water, and that was the only lizard fish that day.
Posted By: james1584

Re: Anyone ever had a bass "catch" a lure? - 06/20/15 05:42 AM

I was fishing Winsborrow(so??) a few years back with a black and blue jig. I recall casting it near a retaining wall and before it landed the fish hit the jig so hard it actually bounced up out of the water. Luckily when the jig landed the bass swollowed it whole. Ive never seen anything like that before or since.
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Anyone ever had a bass "catch" a lure? - 06/21/15 02:33 AM

I had a nice 7+ jump over a large lily pad to hit my frog on another lily pad. Hit it mouth open on the way down. Never gonna forget that fish. I had no idea they would do such a thing. I landed it too.
Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: Anyone ever had a bass "catch" a lure? - 06/23/15 12:02 PM

I have had them seem to hit it just as it was touching down. Then I have had two jump out of the water when my bait was hanging over a limb. Last year on Fork in the backwaters, I had a good under come completely out of the water, nearly 2' to get my bait hanging on a limb. Unfortunately it missed the bait.
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Anyone ever had a bass "catch" a lure? - 06/23/15 02:24 PM

Yes. I had a three pounder catch an original floating Rapala on Lake Morena in San Diego one time.
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Anyone ever had a bass "catch" a lure? - 06/23/15 04:01 PM

Originally Posted By: shank-n-bass
Had one hit it right as it was touching the water and came out to a full breach, but not the most interesting ive experienced.

That would go to one afternoon on Lake Pat Cleburne with my buddy on here, Catslayer. Both fishing a C rig around a weed line. He gets a bit hung, and my smartass throws over his line. Then all the sudden I set the hook and have one on. As I set the hook on my fish, I unknowingly also set the hook on his line that was getting bit. Our lines untangle, and both fish are landed.

i was throwing a fluke... not a c rig, and you LANDED THE DAD GUM WEIGHT RIGHT ON TOP OF ME! Then he IMMEDIATELY sets the hook. I'm looking at him in shock angry cause in my head he just stole my fish, then my line starts running around and sure enough, he set the hook on my fish too... wild deal

As for catching, I've had lots of fish "fair catch" it right as it touched the water, and chase one a few inches when way over a limb, but never seen one catch it like a receiver in the air...
Posted By: ripndrag

Re: Anyone ever had a bass "catch" a lure? - 06/23/15 04:22 PM

while standing on top of a dam was trying to hook a snake with some lure(can't remember what) had a bass come out of the water and hit the lure which was still 6 inches from the water
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum