Texas Fishing Forum

floro / mono leader

Posted By: COWBOYSFAN008

floro / mono leader - 06/18/15 05:46 AM

Hey all, Ive often wondered about this. Many people use a flouro or mono leader tied to braid. Most often the braid is like 30lb test and tied to it is like a 10 lb. mono. My question is this. Aren't they just fishing now with 10lb mono? The weakest link theory?
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: floro / mono leader - 06/18/15 01:21 PM

Originally Posted By: COWBOYSFAN008
Hey all, Ive often wondered about this. Many people use a flouro or mono leader tied to braid. Most often the braid is like 30lb test and tied to it is like a 10 lb. mono. My question is this. Aren't they just fishing now with 10lb mono? The weakest link theory?
yes.

The advantage of the leader is only for the "stealth" of the clear line. The braid is good for added sensitivity, no memory, and no line twist on a spinning reel. Braid is also MUCH smaller diameter per pound weight rating. So on smaller (2500 and smaller) setups, you can still have a decent strength line and the benefit of the small diameter and volume of line.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: floro / mono leader - 06/18/15 01:29 PM

^^^^^^^ solid, thorough answer. thumb
Posted By: stubass

Re: floro / mono leader - 06/18/15 03:02 PM

My experience is that braid to flouro leader on c-rig is not a good setup. Pressure of hook sets and lack of give in braid causes the flouro to snap in my experience, unless drag is set very loosely. I prefer braid to mono leader or flouro mainline to flouro leader. Just my experience--I know others will disagree.
Posted By: Marooned

Re: floro / mono leader - 06/18/15 10:17 PM

Steez MacQueen couldn't have said it better. I prefer a copolymer leader tied to braid main line. I only do this on spinning gear, but that is just personal preference.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum