Texas Fishing Forum

Ulterra owners

Posted By: TxPanhandle

Ulterra owners - 06/17/15 10:25 PM

Has anyone launched their boats using the Ulterra like the video that Minn Kota released in their ads..launched and not being in the boat but using the remote to deploy the TM and take it to the dock. Is this a reality or just advertisement
Posted By: Fishin' Rocket

Re: Ulterra owners - 06/17/15 10:28 PM

Watched a guy do it on Whitney several weeks ago. When the boat floated off the trailer I was like what is this moron doing then the troll motor deployed itself and worked just like the commercial lol
Posted By: BassBucknBeer

Re: Ulterra owners - 06/17/15 11:02 PM

I've done it several times while I'm fishing alone. Works exactly like the commercial. Guy at the ramp told me to quit showing off! Haha
Posted By: Washington Bass

Re: Ulterra owners - 06/18/15 01:21 AM

Just back seated a guy with one, he hadn't tested his remotes range yet but said he would. Side note, I thought it was a hyped up TM but holy cow... That thing is amazing, effortless, precise and his 112 lb was unstoppable. Come off plane, deploy TM, position the boat before he even got out of his seat and got ready. Yes it's over 2 grand but holy cow...
Posted By: pro dirt raker

Re: Ulterra owners - 06/18/15 01:51 AM

Did they improve the spot lock anchor on these compared to the power drive V2's? My PDV2 is no where near as accurate as the MG Xi5 is.

Re: Ulterra owners - 06/18/15 02:16 AM

The Ulterra will hold you within a 5ft circle if you are facing the wind. I've thrown out a marker bouy, and it kept me right beside it. Ive caught more fish in deep water than before.
Posted By: buton

Re: Ulterra owners - 06/18/15 03:16 AM

Originally Posted By: pro dirt raker
Did they improve the spot lock anchor on these compared to the power drive V2's? My PDV2 is no where near as accurate as the MG Xi5 is.

Do you have data to backup your statement that the mg xi5 is more accurate ?

If so where is that test ? Which calibrated instruments they used to measure position?
Was it with same boat?
Same wind?
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Ulterra owners - 06/18/15 01:28 PM

Originally Posted By: buton

If so where is that test ? Which calibrated instruments they used to measure position?
Was it with same boat?
Same wind?

The GPS refresh rate is faster. A faster refresh rate allows for more accurate placement. The accuracy is based upon data that is calculated by the TM. If better, faster, more accurate data is provided, then the TM can correct course, better, faster, etc... The weather boat conditions are a moot point. Theoretically, the weather/water conditions couldn't effect the outcome.
Posted By: buton

Re: Ulterra owners - 06/18/15 01:59 PM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Was it with same boat?
Same wind?

The GPS refresh rate is faster. A faster refresh rate allows for more accurate placement. The accuracy is based upon data that is calculated by the TM. If better, faster, more accurate data is provided, then the TM can correct course, better, faster, etc... The weather boat conditions are a moot point. Theoretically, the weather/water conditions couldn't effect the outcome.

but there is not test data to prove which trolling motor is more accurate.
Posted By: srh0201

Re: Ulterra owners - 06/18/15 05:27 PM

Can they be controlled with a foot control too? If so is it as simple as my Fortrex?
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Ulterra owners - 06/18/15 05:33 PM

yes if has a foot control but you'll rarely use it. I only use it to make a minor adjustment when my hands are busy

Re: Ulterra owners - 06/18/15 05:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam
yes if has a foot control but you'll rarely use it. I only use it to make a minor adjustment when my hands are busy

What about timber in shallow water? Will it stop if it hits something while it is following a contour? I guess my main question is how is it in shallow water? No question it would help you when you fish deep.

Re: Ulterra owners - 06/18/15 06:01 PM

You know guys I ask the question about unloading your boat as seen in the Minn Kota ad not how accurate is spot lock. I have owned two Terrovas and the spot lock works well for me but it is not like throwing a anchor out and I sure MK or MG both have faults but that is not what I wanted to know. I am 71 with hip,knee problems and I am thinking of selling my Terrova and buying a Ulterra to make unloading easier when by myself.
Posted By: skeeter james

Re: Ulterra owners - 06/18/15 06:59 PM

Will these work with a lowrance depth finder or does it only work with a Humminbird ?
Posted By: GTrigg

Re: Ulterra owners - 06/18/15 07:19 PM

I purchased a Terrova back in January and I'm with you Panhandle, I just have to have a Ulterra....

I love my Terrova, but some mornings my old knees and back just ain't working right and I sure could use a little help with the deploying and stowing process....

Don't know if I could ever have enough nerve to do the whole launching technique though. Seems like "Murphy" is always coming to the lake with me....
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Ulterra owners - 06/18/15 08:14 PM

Originally Posted By: srh0201

What about timber in shallow water? Will it stop if it hits something while it is following a contour? I guess my main question is how is it in shallow water? No question it would help you when you fish deep.

You have to manually stop it or steer it around an obstacle. Not sure what you are asking about shallow water. It takes a little getting used to but I don't even think about it any more. I have no issues in shallow water. In fact you can adjust the height of it in the water with a touch of a button. I maneuver my boat in shallow water full of stumps just as well as i did a traditional tm.

As far as launching and controlling the boat, they have a pretty good range on the remote. I have no worries about it working when I am away. Just have to be careful of the spotlock because the boat does move around some and can bump into other boats if you aren't careful.
Posted By: TXBeerHunter

Re: Ulterra owners - 06/18/15 08:25 PM

That is got to be one of the best ideas ever. I fish alone a lot, and that would make launching a breeze. Guess I need to add something else to my long wish list of gadgets. I have two MotorGuides, and hate to part with them, but maybe this may be a reason to put them up for sale and use the proceeds to modify the set up. Hate to see how many times I misplace the remote in the boat though.

Re: Ulterra owners - 06/18/15 08:32 PM

Originally Posted By: srh0201

You have to manually stop it or steer it around an obstacle. Not sure what you are asking about shallow water. It takes a little getting used to but I don't even think about it any more. I have no issues in shallow water. In fact you can adjust the height of it in the water with a touch of a button. I maneuver my boat in shallow water full of stumps just as well as i did a traditional tm.

As far as launching and controlling the boat, they have a pretty good range on the remote. I have no worries about it working when I am away. Just have to be careful of the spotlock because the boat does move around some and can bump into other boats if you aren't careful.

Thanks Bobby. I fish a lot of stumpy lakes and I just wanted to know if they were a pain in stumpy water. So far I havent heard any complaints about these.
Posted By: BTM

Re: Ulterra owners - 06/19/15 12:02 AM

TxPanhandle,

The Ulterra works exactly as the advertised when unloading. The only problem is ramp angles are different and cause some T M to catch on trailer bow stops. If your Terrova clears your trailer now, the Ulterra will work O K.

Unloading is a big advantage, but the Deploy, Stow, and Depth change with the push of a button is the back saver every time you move. It is so easy to deploy before I get out of the drivers seat. I move more often as needed. On windy days it is nice to run the T M into the wind, get in the drivers seat, stow the motor and move on. I am 72, have had back surgery, knee replaced, and a severed achilles tendon, but can now fish most of the day and not get tired.

BTM
Posted By: pro dirt raker

Re: Ulterra owners - 06/19/15 12:28 AM

[quote=pro dirt raker]Do you have data to backup your statement that the mg xi5 is more accurate ? If so where is that test ? Which calibrated instruments they used to measure position?
Was it with same boat? Same wind?

Yeah it's in the April issue of Trolling Motor Monthly, page 10...

No test needed, just spend a little time on the water with both and it's clear, was hoping someone would say the GPS / software controlling the Motor had been improved on the Ulterra.
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: Ulterra owners - 06/19/15 02:14 AM

Originally Posted By: BTM
TxPanhandle,

The Ulterra works exactly as the advertised when unloading. The only problem is ramp angles are different and cause some T M to catch on trailer bow stops. If your Terrova clears your trailer now, the Ulterra will work O K.

Unloading is a big advantage, but the Deploy, Stow, and Depth change with the push of a button is the back saver every time you move. It is so easy to deploy before I get out of the drivers seat. I move more often as needed. On windy days it is nice to run the T M into the wind, get in the drivers seat, stow the motor and move on. I am 72, have had back surgery, knee replaced, and a severed achilles tendon, but can now fish most of the day and not get tired.

BTM

Use the slider plate for the terrova. Works well MKA 47
Posted By: Slewfoot

Re: Ulterra owners - 06/19/15 03:46 AM

I don't bass fish on purpose but am considering one for crappie fishing. I want boat control to be very bery precise though. Been MK for 20 years or more but considering the MG xi5. Plus I run lowrance electronics. Has anybody ran both and have an opinion? I know an ulterra I can look at maybe on Fork. Just hafta find a MG out there!
Posted By: BTM

Re: Ulterra owners - 06/19/15 05:19 AM

If you are using the MKA47 in the retracted position for the trolling motor to clear the trailer bow stop it MUST be slid forward before deploying the TM. This works OK for the Terrova because you are moving the MKA47 forward and deploying it from inside the boat after launching.

The Terrova and the Ulterra mounting bolt pattern is the same, but the Ulterra cover is much wider than the Terrova. The MKA47 is not made to use with the Ulterra. It covers the locking nut knob for the MKA47 and must be modified to lock the slide plate.

I put my Ulterra on the MKA47 by modifying the locking nut knob location and adding a spacer plate at the rear. I keep the bracket/T M retracted so that my cover fits without modification.

Before launching I slide everything forward so the T M can be deployed using my remote.

BTM

Re: Ulterra owners - 06/19/15 12:05 PM

Thanks for the information. I fish out of a bay boat so the Terrova is mounted in forward postion since I do not have to be concerned with the TM hitting the winch due to the depth of the front of the boat.I think the ulterra maybe the ticket for me. Now I need to sell my Terrova.

Re: Ulterra owners - 06/19/15 01:36 PM

Originally Posted By: BTM

I put my Ulterra on the MKA47 by modifying the locking nut knob location and adding a spacer plate at the rear. I keep the bracket/T M retracted so that my cover fits without modification.

Before launching I slide everything forward so the T M can be deployed using my remote.

BTM

I did the same as you, except I slid mine forward just enough that it is operational and then I drilled and tapped a new locking nut hole. I leave it in this position at all times. It's in no danger of hitting the trailer while loading/unloading and it's always in position to use.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum