Texas Fishing Forum

Idea Please - Can't Get a Bite

Posted By: Pilothawk

Idea Please - Can't Get a Bite - 06/15/15 12:59 PM

Fishing on our pond has not been good of late.

I have thrown everything at them including live bait to little effect. Fish are scattered, not stacked on the ledges. Carolina rigs, Texas rigs, deep cranks, mid level cranks, spinners. Even tried minnows, worms and crickets.

I know I need better electronics, but even the guys with the widescreen TVs are finding it slow. Stopped at Fishing Hqtrs on Sat, folks there said its the same for everyone.

I have been fishing within six miles of the house most of the time. I might have to run down to TN and fish the Big Sandy.

Any ideas? I am considering hiring a guide...but the good ones are pretty well booked up.
Posted By: Bas-ii-tis

Re: Idea Please - Can't Get a Bite - 06/15/15 01:35 PM

my last resort is lite line and drop shots......4 inch robo worm

Re: Ideas Please - Can't Get a Bite - 06/15/15 01:37 PM

Thanks. Havent tried that due to currents and winds, but it's worth a try.
Posted By: Garvin

Re: Ideas Please - Can't Get a Bite - 06/15/15 01:58 PM

Ned rig. Z-man TRD and mushroom head jig. This finesse rig works when others won't produce. Let it sink, then twitch-drag it across the bottom in areas near cover but not where you're likely to get snagged.
Think of fishing your soft plastics slow. Then slow down even more than that.
Weightless Senkos, wacky or T-rigged. Let them sink. Let them sit. Raise your rod tip and repeat. Slowwwww.
Fish your plastics almost like they were live bait. Let them sit for long periods of time, and occasionally twitch them along. Make each retrieve last 1-2 minutes. Lots of times there's no strike; it just feels like you're hung up or you feel resistance.
I've switched to floating plastics for Carolina rigs, too. Anything made from Elaztech like Strike King 3X worms or Zeros, or Z-Man Zinkers. I fish this setup in weedy areas and I think it helps keep the presentation visible and gives the bait more life-like movement and more action than just laying on the bottom.
Posted By: bush hog

Re: Ideas Please - Can't Get a Bite - 06/15/15 02:26 PM

If you opt for a drop shot then instead of just putting a weight below your worm go ahead and T-rig or tie on a shakey head with a trick worm. This way you're offering two different baits, two different presentations at two different depths. Hope this helps and good luck.
Posted By: Andrew Taylor

Re: Ideas Please - Can't Get a Bite - 06/15/15 03:00 PM

DUDE, WACKY WORM
Posted By: JohnButte

Re: Ideas Please - Can't Get a Bite - 06/15/15 06:22 PM

Try fishing at night.
Posted By: timwins31

Re: Ideas Please - Can't Get a Bite - 06/15/15 06:27 PM

Throw a legit ned rig, not a half assed one. I've caught fish on it literally every single trip where I've thrown it. It's small and it's something they never see. Try it.
Posted By: RangerBass21

Re: Ideas Please - Can't Get a Bite - 06/15/15 06:29 PM

Find the shad.
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: Ideas Please - Can't Get a Bite - 06/15/15 07:23 PM

If they're not eating live bait you're not around them or something is bad wrong

Re: Ideas Please - Can't Get a Bite - 06/15/15 08:12 PM

Originally Posted By: RangerBass21
Find the shad.

That's easy. Largest balls of shad I have ever seen.
Posted By: Big Lunker

Re: Ideas Please - Can't Get a Bite - 06/15/15 09:25 PM

Originally Posted By: EtxBassFisher
DUDE, WACKY WORM
Wacky Worm or Drop Shot.
Posted By: Thirstyforbass

Re: Ideas Please - Can't Get a Bite - 06/16/15 03:28 PM

Wacky, Donkey rig with swimbaits and Malas Lucky Craft
Posted By: karpbuster

Re: Idea Please - Can't Get a Bite - 06/16/15 03:55 PM

The Guide idea is great, one that will teach you is especially great. I fish at the lake house and the last few times has been awesome with the high water. I think if they are not biting go else where, I watch Bill Wilcox (Honey Hole Outdoors) a lot, he is very informative. I have been learning, too. Earlier the wacky senko was working. Last time out a Texas rig worm was the ticket.

In my cove I have lilies, hydrilla, drop offs, humps, flats. So I usually don't have to go far, but some days it is tough getting bit.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Idea Please - Can't Get a Bite - 06/17/15 12:39 AM

Ned rig.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum