Texas Fishing Forum

Is Ring Free really that expensive?

Posted By: Okie Poke

Is Ring Free really that expensive? - 06/13/15 01:28 PM

I bought a 32oz bottle of Ring Free w/ fuel additive this week and just noticed a receipt that showed $59 for the item. Really? Or did I get rung up wrong? It may be that expensive, but I sure didn't know that. If so, off to work I go. WOW!
Posted By: Skip

Re: Is Ring Free really that expensive? - 06/13/15 01:30 PM

Thats about the cost.
Posted By: slim 285

Re: Is Ring Free really that expensive? - 06/13/15 03:47 PM

That is about what I paid for the last bottle I got.
Posted By: Razorback

Re: Is Ring Free really that expensive? - 06/13/15 03:53 PM

Yeah, it must have gold and diamond dust in it as its secret ingredient. I still buy it.
Posted By: El Skeeter

Re: Is Ring Free really that expensive? - 06/13/15 05:28 PM

Yes I paid $55 a few months back at Skeeter dealer.
Amazon has it for $48, I prefer to buy locally .
Posted By: M. Massoletti

Re: Is Ring Free really that expensive? - 06/15/15 06:02 AM

Might try biobor. Does what ring free does and other things for your motor and alot less expensive
Posted By: Transplant

Re: Is Ring Free really that expensive? - 06/15/15 12:32 PM

MY boat mechanic told me that the Mercury Service rep told him that if you don't use anything else use Ring-Free!!! With the cost of everything else in bass fishing it seems like a smart move!
Posted By: MtnHm203

Re: Is Ring Free really that expensive? - 06/15/15 12:38 PM

I buy it this way.

Ring Free
Posted By: Jigfish

Re: Is Ring Free really that expensive? - 06/15/15 02:07 PM

I'm going to biotech. has all the stuff ring free does plus more additives. only $18 and you can get it anywhere.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Is Ring Free really that expensive? - 06/15/15 02:13 PM

Biotech?...
Posted By: Eastexn

Re: Is Ring Free really that expensive? - 06/15/15 04:36 PM

Quote:
[/quote]I still buy it.[quote]

That's why it's $59
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: Is Ring Free really that expensive? - 06/15/15 05:57 PM

I've been told that the additive in Chevron gas is the same as ring free.....I use sea foam too....it's a "wet" cleaner in addition to it's other properties
Posted By: buda13

Re: Is Ring Free really that expensive? - 06/15/15 06:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Okie Poke
I bought a 32oz bottle of Ring Free w/ fuel additive this week and just noticed a receipt that showed $59 for the item. Really? Or did I get rung up wrong? It may be that expensive, but I sure didn't know that. If so, off to work I go. WOW!

Never bought that over priced stuff in my life. Ran Sea Foam in all of my boats, just added some each time I put fuel in the tank. Never had any issues at all. Once my water jacket was clogged up with silt, had my mechanic break it all down, he said to keep using whatever I am using because the cylinders were as clean as any boat he'd ever seen... the boat was 10 years old with the original power head. An official dealer or mechanic might tell you different, but none of them can show you any research to lead a person to believe that Sea Foam isnt just as good.
Posted By: FMJshooter

Re: Is Ring Free really that expensive? - 06/15/15 07:55 PM

The part that does the decarbing is nothing magical way over priced IMO.
Posted By: Fish Art Texas

Re: Is Ring Free really that expensive? - 06/15/15 08:23 PM

unless you are running lots of miles every day these additives that seem to work are cheap insurance against costly mechanical work,i use ring free in both my yamahas,2 and four stroke as well as stabil- no probs so far!
Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

Re: Is Ring Free really that expensive? - 06/15/15 09:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Fish Art Texas
unless you are running lots of miles every day these additives that seem to work are cheap insurance against costly mechanical work,i use ring free in both my yamahas,2 and four stroke as well as stabil- no probs so far!
thumb
Posted By: reelswift

Re: Is Ring Free really that expensive? - 06/16/15 02:07 PM

My understanding is that Ring free was designed to raise the combustion chamber temperature to burnoff internal coke like deposits. I have bought and used it & agree that it is overpriced. Probabaly will not buy anymore however I will blow the sut out of it at WOT after extended idling/graphing and accomplish the same overall benefit with the exception of the ethanol additive in which I use Bioboreb

Re: Is Ring Free really that expensive? - 06/16/15 02:27 PM

Seafoam basically does that. It burns very hot
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Is Ring Free really that expensive? - 06/16/15 03:10 PM

You guys are missing one important point here. Ratios. A 12 oz. bottle of Ring Free will treat 120 gallons of fuel. A 16 oz. bottle of Seafoam will treat 16 gallons of fuel. You'd need 7.5 bottles of Seafoam to treat 120 gallons of fuel. At $12/bottle, that's $90 to treat the same amount of fuel that a $26 dollar bottle of Ring Free would treat.

Math. Do it. roflmao

Re: Is Ring Free really that expensive? - 06/16/15 03:12 PM

Your math is good but I can save even more by not using either just use the hot foot to loose excessive coke/carbon build up.

Re: Is Ring Free really that expensive? - 06/16/15 03:14 PM

Originally Posted By: reelswift
Your math is good but I can save even more by not using either just use the hot foot to loose excessive coke/carbon build up.

Good luck with that and ethanol.
Posted By: DEFMP

Re: Is Ring Free really that expensive? - 06/16/15 03:22 PM

That's a bad idea! Many certified Yamaha mechanics have told me most owners of blown power heads when asked if they use Ring free plus, have never heard of it.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Is Ring Free really that expensive? - 06/16/15 03:29 PM

Fouz, that ratio is for a shock treatment. I only add two ounces per tank. My Hpdi blew using ring free and yamalube. I've run quicksilver and seafoam since and had no problems for the last 8 years.

Re: Is Ring Free really that expensive? - 06/16/15 03:32 PM

Seafoam is 1 oz per gallon of fuel. Shock treatment is 2 oz. I use both Seafoam and Ring Free and will continue doing so. Ringfree per instructions. Seafoam every few tanks. Chris, no need to mess with what works for you.

Re: Is Ring Free really that expensive? - 06/16/15 03:36 PM

Also an external water separator is a big help. Change the filter once a year.

Re: Is Ring Free really that expensive? - 06/16/15 03:39 PM

The HPDI engines with blown power head issues have very little to do with carbon build up its more of design deficiencies. Check out broken ring pins & secret filters
I do recommend ethanol treatment & it does not hurt to run a decoking additive. The original post was how expensive ring free is & think it's over priced
Posted By: gloryjoe007

Re: Is Ring Free really that expensive? - 06/16/15 03:58 PM

I have 1995 pro v 150 I bought used the original owner told me from day 1 he never filled up with out ring free and sta-bil recommended I do the same. I have owned the boat since 2010 far as i know from previous owner never had an issue still runs like new. May blow tomorrow but I for one believe in ring free and sta-bil 20 yrs pretty good life span!
Posted By: diggerwolf

Re: Is Ring Free really that expensive? - 06/16/15 04:06 PM

What am I missing? Yamaha Yamalube Ring Free Plus Fuel Additive is $21 plus free shipping on Amazon .
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Is Ring Free really that expensive? - 06/16/15 04:52 PM

Better than the potential alternative. Not expensive when you only need 2oz per 20 gallons.
Posted By: DEFMP

Re: Is Ring Free really that expensive? - 06/16/15 06:40 PM

Originally Posted By: diggerwolf
What am I missing? Yamaha Yamalube Ring Free Plus Fuel Additive is $21 plus free shipping on Amazon .

The $50 to $60 bottles are for 32 oz, I believe yours is 12 or 16 oz.
Posted By: 04champ

Re: Is Ring Free really that expensive? - 06/16/15 07:07 PM

Originally Posted By: diggerwolf

that's a 12oz bottle

Re: Is Ring Free really that expensive? - 06/16/15 07:14 PM

Still waaaaay cheaper than Seafoam
Posted By: 04champ

Re: Is Ring Free really that expensive? - 06/16/15 07:16 PM

I've been using Biobor because I had some I got for free... I'll keep using it for a while and checking my prop for carbon buildup

If it stays clean I'll probably stick with it
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: Is Ring Free really that expensive? - 06/16/15 08:12 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
Still waaaaay cheaper than Seafoam

Not picking a fight big dog, but doesn't seafoam stabalize fuel for up to two years in addition to the cleaning property?? Ringfree says it's safe to use with a stabilizer..... If I'm wrong then I'm wrong......don't be hatin on my seafoam! sarcastic
Posted By: M. Massoletti

Re: Is Ring Free really that expensive? - 06/18/15 08:13 AM

Yeah the biobor does the job of all 3 and stablizes the fuel for 18months. You get all 3 for an $18 bottle that does 240 gallons.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Is Ring Free really that expensive? - 06/18/15 11:22 AM

So at $59 for 120 gallons, that's an extra $.50 per gallon of fuel. At some point, it becomes cheaper to pay for the repair if that ever happens...

I've never used Seafoam or Ring Free and never had an issue. My boat is 18 years old on the original power head. I do put Stabil in with every fill-up.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum