Texas Fishing Forum

Trailer Inspection... where to go? (DFW)

Posted By: dandeeks

Trailer Inspection... where to go? (DFW) - 06/10/15 12:45 PM

I just bought my very first boat... It has a tandem trailer rated for 6000 so it must get inspected in order for me to get registration done. DO any of you have a suggestion of where I can go for this?
Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Dan
Posted By: JoeFriday

Re: Trailer Inspection... where to go? (DFW) - 06/10/15 12:50 PM

There is a site where you can find a location near you. http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/vi/VIactiveStationLocator/

Re: Trailer Inspection... where to go? (DFW) - 06/10/15 12:54 PM

Thank you Joe. I'm also new to the country... so I wasn't aware. Besides, recommendations never hurt anybody.

Re: Trailer Inspection... where to go? (DFW) - 06/10/15 01:56 PM

DFW is pretty big and traffic pretty bad. If you are wanting relevant locations for you, it might be better to specify a city or area. I could tell you where I went in Flower Mound, but if you are in Garland it would be a beating to get there.
Posted By: Ranger1960

Re: Trailer Inspection... where to go? (DFW) - 06/10/15 02:00 PM

Trailers with a gross weight exceeding 4,500 lbs. must pass an annual safety inspection. If its 4000lbs you dont need one.
Posted By: Bassattak

Re: Trailer Inspection... where to go? (DFW) - 06/10/15 04:13 PM

AAA Inspection. Carrollton, across from Home Depot on Keller Springs. Very nice guys and was in and out.
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: Trailer Inspection... where to go? (DFW) - 06/10/15 04:15 PM

Originally Posted By: dandeeks
I just bought my very first boat... It has a tandem trailer rated for 4000 so it must get inspected in order for me to get registration done. DO any of you have a suggestion of where I can go for this?
Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Dan

If it is registered at 4000 GVWR, it does NOT need an inspection.
Posted By: Easy Fisherman

Re: Trailer Inspection... where to go? (DFW) - 06/10/15 08:15 PM

They send these notice's out to anyone with a tandem trailer - it is a blanket mail out - if on your identification tag , on the tongue .says less than 4500lbs, you don't have to get it inspected / Read the law , not what people say . Do what the law says and if it is over 4500 lbs . then you have to inspect it , otherwise forget it
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Trailer Inspection... where to go? (DFW) - 06/10/15 09:19 PM

It is by what is stated on your registration documents. If the trailer data tag differs from what is stated on your registration there are steps you can take to change it but if your registration says 4501 gross or more you have to have it inspected or they wont give you the sticker until you do.

Re: Trailer Inspection... where to go? (DFW) - 06/11/15 12:24 PM

Thanks everyone. Once again, this forum is nothing short of awesome.

Re: Trailer Inspection... where to go? (DFW) - 06/11/15 12:40 PM

Turns out my memory sucks... it says 6000. I will have to go thru with this charade after all. Any suggestions closer to Garland?
Posted By: nt325

Re: Trailer Inspection... where to go? (DFW) - 06/11/15 02:21 PM

Where did you go in the flowermound area? thanks.

Re: Trailer Inspection... where to go? (DFW) - 06/11/15 03:26 PM

Originally Posted By: nt325
Where did you go in the flowermound area? thanks.

Valvoline by RaceTrac on 407. It was quick and painless.

Re: Trailer Inspection... where to go? (DFW) - 06/11/15 03:28 PM

Originally Posted By: dandeeks
Turns out my memory sucks... it says 6000. I will have to go thru with this charade after all. Any suggestions closer to Garland?

Wow. I made a wild lucky guess on your location. roflmao
Posted By: moto382

Re: Trailer Inspection... where to go? (DFW) - 06/11/15 03:45 PM

Any place that does vehicle inspections can do trailer inspections
Posted By: Chet

Re: Trailer Inspection... where to go? (DFW) - 06/11/15 04:18 PM

But most don't, when I thought I had to have one of mine inspected I went to their site and started calling the ones on the list close to me. First 5 or 10 I called said they don't inspect trailers. Best to call before driving to one.

Re: Trailer Inspection... where to go? (DFW) - 06/11/15 05:49 PM

Good guess!

Re: Trailer Inspection... where to go? (DFW) - 06/11/15 05:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Easy Fisherman
They send these notice's out to anyone with a tandem trailer - it is a blanket mail out - if on your identification tag , on the tongue .says less than 4500lbs, you don't have to get it inspected / Read the law , not what people say . Do what the law says and if it is over 4500 lbs . then you have to inspect it , otherwise forget it

How would the registration know it has tandem axles? It is done by REGISTERED GVWR. I hope people follow your advice and ignore what you say.

Re: Trailer Inspection... where to go? (DFW) - 06/11/15 05:56 PM

Originally Posted By: moto382
Any place that does vehicle inspections can do trailer inspections

Wrong.
Posted By: lcbl75771

Re: Trailer Inspection... where to go? (DFW) - 06/11/15 08:54 PM

So, by DOT website it says trailers GVWR over 4500lbs must be inspected. My trailer is marked right at 4500, so I'm assuming it can be registered without being inspected?
Posted By: Chet

Re: Trailer Inspection... where to go? (DFW) - 06/11/15 09:11 PM

It's what is on your registration that counts, so if it's different from what's on the trailer it's easy to get a letter from your manufacturer and take it with you when you go down to the court house. I got a letter from Ranger and they changed mine.
Posted By: moto382

Re: Trailer Inspection... where to go? (DFW) - 06/11/15 09:31 PM

Ok I'm a state inspector and there isn't anything special to do an inspection for a trailer. It's a safety only inspection cost $7 and any place that does inspection's can inspect it. If they can't they just don't want to!!! If it's less than 4500 GVW then no inspection is required.
Posted By: lcbl75771

Re: Trailer Inspection... where to go? (DFW) - 06/11/15 09:45 PM

Ok, I see it stated as less then 4500 no or more than 4500 yes. what if it is exactly 4500? is it the yes or no?

Re: Trailer Inspection... where to go? (DFW) - 06/12/15 01:14 PM

If the trailer is 4500 GVWR it does not need an inspection. If it is more than 4500 GVWR, it does need an inspection. If your trailer is already registered, the inspection depends on the REGISTERED GVWR.

Re: Trailer Inspection... where to go? (DFW) - 06/12/15 01:19 PM

Originally Posted By: moto382
Ok I'm a state inspector and there isn't anything special to do an inspection for a trailer. It's a safety only inspection cost $7 and any place that does inspection's can inspect it. If they can't they just don't want to!!! If it's less than 4500 GVW then no inspection is required.

So you are an inspector? Do you have a TL endorsement?
Posted By: papamark

Re: Trailer Inspection... where to go? (DFW) - 06/12/15 01:25 PM

I got the notice for mine, went to the Co Tax office to ask about it, the notice said mine was rated for 5000 gw. I told the lady that it was a boat trailer, I showed her what the manufacture said the boat weighed and the motor, she changed it to 3500gw and now no inspection needed
Posted By: tonytiger

Re: Trailer Inspection... where to go? (DFW) - 06/12/15 01:37 PM

Texas 10 off of altamere dr does them in Fort Worth .they do all of eagle marines trailer inspections
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum