Texas Fishing Forum

I need a simple explanation

Posted By: Andrew Taylor

I need a simple explanation - 06/09/15 09:23 PM

What the heck is the difference in mono and fluro? Sounds rookie but i'm dying to know.. any simple explanations?
Posted By: Chris_K

Re: I need a simple explanation - 06/09/15 09:24 PM

Mono floats and has some stretch to it
Fluoro has less stretch and sinks
Posted By: Andrew Taylor

Re: I need a simple explanation - 06/09/15 09:31 PM

thank you
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: I need a simple explanation - 06/09/15 10:09 PM

mono is made from nylon.. hence the stretch. Fluorocarbon is more like glass fiber.. hence less stretch. It has a much higher surface tension, hence the scalding when you tie knots if you don't wet it before you cinch it down.
Posted By: KB1953

Re: I need a simple explanation - 06/09/15 10:21 PM

About $15.00 a spool!
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: I need a simple explanation - 06/09/15 10:24 PM

It sinks and it stretches actually more than you think. Better sensitivity
Posted By: FACSR

Re: I need a simple explanation - 06/09/15 10:32 PM

Originally Posted By: KB1953
About $15.00 a spool!

About $15.00 dollars more per spool than mono
Posted By: Kevin D.

Re: I need a simple explanation - 06/10/15 04:08 AM

And, fluorocarbon has a heck of memory. Backlashes will make dirty words flow freely from your mouth when you get done untangling everything, if you get done untangling everything. I hate fluorocarbon.
Posted By: Rudy Lackey

Re: I need a simple explanation - 06/10/15 01:00 PM

Fluorocarbon breaks EZ
Posted By: Garvin

Re: I need a simple explanation - 06/10/15 08:34 PM

One of the biggest attractions of fluorocarbon line is that it has a refractive index close to that of water. Essentially, submerging it renders it nearly invisible to the eye, although it is speculated that bass can probably still detect the movement of the line through the water with their lateral lines.
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: I need a simple explanation - 06/10/15 08:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Rudy Lackey
Fluorocarbon breaks EZ

Not if you use good line with a good knot.
Posted By: JacksonBean

Re: I need a simple explanation - 06/10/15 08:43 PM

Originally Posted By: EtxBassFisher
What the heck is the difference in mono and fluro? Sounds rookie but i'm dying to know.. any simple explanations?

Let me complicate the matter as best I can.

Fluoro is mono. Mono means made of a single strand. Resin mono is what is typically referred to as monofilament. Fluorocarbon line is also made of a single strand just not of resin. It's a big two dollar word that I won't trouble you with.

Resin mono typically floats but it also gets water logged. People typically like it because it's the best bang for your buck. It's cheaply made in other words. Once it gets water logged, it is prone to abrasions and loses some of it's good characteristics.

Fluoro mono sinks, is stronger, has less stretch, but costs significantly more. As stated.... Grrreat refractive index for clear water environments.

That's the quick and dirty version. wink
Posted By: Slade

Re: I need a simple explanation - 06/11/15 12:22 AM

Good floro is the way to go IMO. It is less visible, much more sensitive. Yes it has memory. I use line conditioner and stretch my lines every few weeks or before a trip. I pretty much just use floro or braid on all of my rigs. I had one or two with mono that I would use for top water but I don't use them that much. Most of the top water applications can be done with braid or 12# floro.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: I need a simple explanation - 06/11/15 12:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Garvin
One of the biggest attractions of fluorocarbon line is that it has a refractive index close to that of water. Essentially, submerging it renders it nearly invisible to the eye, although it is speculated that bass can probably still detect the movement of the line through the water with their lateral lines.

its a good selling point on the box but I can see both the same in a crystal clear aquarium under all light conditions with my own eyes.
Posted By: Frenzy

Re: I need a simple explanation - 06/11/15 12:40 AM

I like some fluoro's, others not so much. Invisx stretchs like a mono and is not very sensitive imo. The stiffer fluoro's, like 100% trilene, have less stretch and more sensitivity but can be a pain in the butt as far as memory and handling. I'm done with wasting money on the supposed advantages of "fluorocarbons." I'll spend half or less on a good copoly and get 98% of the benefits with alot less of the drawbacks.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum