Texas Fishing Forum

Great shallow bite at Fork today

Posted By: Mark Perry

Great shallow bite at Fork today - 06/06/15 01:58 AM

On the water at daylight and fished today. Despite 500 boats on the water the fish were eating shallow all day today. We had a lot of bites. Had a great bag of unders and some slot fished mixed in. They ate a buzzbait good most of the day. Also had some flipping a Texas rig craw too. All fish were 2' or less. Lots of fun considering how hit or miss its been out here. Fun day on Fork. Had a friend I had never fished with in the boat today and really enjoyed the conversation and the day in general.
Posted By: RangerBass21

Re: Great shallow bite at Fork today - 06/06/15 02:00 AM

When isn't there 500 boats on fork? And are you the one who makes mark perrys swim baits?

Re: Great shallow bite at Fork today - 06/06/15 02:06 AM

Originally Posted By: RangerBass21
When isn't there 500 boats on fork? And are you the one who makes mark perrys swim baits?

Here in about 2 weeks there will not be 500 boats out here at kleast fora few months.

I make a few swimbaits from time to time.

Re: Great shallow bite at Fork today - 06/06/15 02:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry

Here in about 2 weeks there will not be 500 boats out here at kleast fora few months.

There will be about 2000 soon, then to hot for most, I bought a few, great looking swim baits, can't wait to try them out

Re: Great shallow bite at Fork today - 06/06/15 02:11 AM

There will be about 2000, I bought a few, great looking swim baits, can't wait to try them out

Thank you very much. Shoot me a PM and let me know what you think good or bad. Heck even if you hate them let me know. I appreciate it.

Re: Great shallow bite at Fork today - 06/06/15 02:12 AM

Do I get my money back if they don't produce? roflmao
Posted By: mudd

Re: Great shallow bite at Fork today - 06/06/15 02:18 AM

Wish I could have made it tomorrow!

Re: Great shallow bite at Fork today - 06/06/15 02:19 AM

That would be user error..... woot

Seriously if you dislike them or have any issue I will make it right. cheers

Re: Great shallow bite at Fork today - 06/06/15 02:19 AM

Originally Posted By: mudd
Wish I could have made it tomorrow!

Not sure how the API guys did as it looked like Skeeter Owners started a week early. Everyone was out deep but us it seemed.

Re: Great shallow bite at Fork today - 06/06/15 02:22 AM

Yea I know guide I'm going with is 30ft water..... That many boats out there?

Re: Great shallow bite at Fork today - 06/06/15 02:24 AM

That would be user error..... woot

Seriously if you dislike them or have any issue I will make it right. cheers

I'm sure they'll produce, they look awesome

Re: Great shallow bite at Fork today - 06/06/15 02:25 AM

Seriously there are a TON of boats out here. LFM ramp is shut down from launching as they are hosting the event.

Re: Great shallow bite at Fork today - 06/06/15 02:28 AM

Geez. Figured it wouldn't b bad. I pick best times for guide trips. Hot heck one time super slow, then 30 degree 30mph north wind 3 bites all day and now boats in casting distance

Re: Great shallow bite at Fork today - 06/06/15 02:29 AM

I was fishing that depth other day but they were suspended about 15-20 ft down, in the fall usually start of sept I'll be out in 40ft

Re: Great shallow bite at Fork today - 06/06/15 02:30 AM

I caught a fish in 30ft water other day. I looked like a fool cause I was so happy! Lol

Re: Great shallow bite at Fork today - 06/06/15 02:31 AM

Geez. Figured it wouldn't b bad. I pick best times for guide trips. Hot heck one time super slow, then 30 degree 30mph north wind 3 bites all day and now boats in casting distance

Seems 80% of the boats are sitting on the same 3-4 humps....ya'll will be fine. No one crowded us. Most are ganged up on community spots.

Re: Great shallow bite at Fork today - 06/06/15 02:33 AM

That's good. Thanks for tips in post
Posted By: JPeel

Re: Great shallow bite at Fork today - 06/06/15 11:20 AM

That's good. Thanks for tips in post

Don't be surprised if my old boat runs even better out there. She really likes being on Fork thumb
Hell, she might even drive to some of my old spots on her own...
Posted By: Deputy T

Re: Great shallow bite at Fork today - 06/06/15 11:57 AM

I fished your swim bait and had multiple hits......never could get a hook set though smirk HAHA Do I need to add a hook? LOL awesome baits man really!

Re: Great shallow bite at Fork today - 06/07/15 07:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Deputy T
I fished your swim bait and had multiple hits......never could get a hook set though smirk HAHA Do I need to add a hook? LOL awesome baits man really!

roflmao
Posted By: **TheLoneRanger**

Re: Great shallow bite at Fork today - 06/07/15 07:30 PM

The fish were not biting at all today... I fished from first light and am leaving now... It's 2:30.... Not sure how you got bit all day today and I had not a single bite... Not a SINGLE bite... Fished Texas rigged craws of all colors... Deep diving cranks in 15-25' of water. Carolina rigged worms. Threw everything but the tackle box in the lake... Talked to multiple boaters who all said it was tough.... So how might I ask do you still post on here that it was a great bite on fork today??? I am truly asking is this the truth???

Re: Great shallow bite at Fork today - 06/07/15 07:33 PM

Originally Posted By: **TheLoneRanger**
The fish were not biting at all today... I fished from first light and am leaving now... It's 2:30.... Not sure how you got bit all day today and I had not a single bite... Not a SINGLE bite... Fished Texas rigged craws of all colors... Deep diving cranks in 15-25' of water. Carolina rigged worms. Threw everything but the tackle box in the lake... Talked to multiple boaters who all said it was tough.... So how might I ask do you still post on here that it was a great bite on fork today??? I am truly asking is this the truth???

Maybe because this post was made Friday evening.

That being said no matter how bad you do on a lake rest assured someone out there figured them out that day. Someone always catches them. Unless you are a throwdown world class angler then you not catching them has zero bearing on someone else finding them.

Secondly I had someone with me so before you go assuming the truth is being stretched you might want to read the whole post. Sorry you had a bad day. Go home and get some A/C then try again.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Great shallow bite at Fork today - 06/07/15 07:51 PM

I saw atleast 250 boats fishing deep end of the week at Fork, Perry is correct it's a madhouse....

Re: Great shallow bite at Fork today - 06/07/15 07:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Doug R.
I saw atleast 250 boats fishing deep end of the week at Fork, Perry is correct it's a madhouse....

It was crazy how abandoned the shallows were from boats. I have never seen that many boats stacked out on the same deep spots like that. I mean way more on single spots than normal. We had all the shallow water we wanted and it paid off in regards to number of bites.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Great shallow bite at Fork today - 06/07/15 08:07 PM

Mark, I was going to PM you but since the topic came up might be others interested. I have a few of your 5" and 7" swimbaits. Nice! What hooks (weight/size)do you recommend for these sizes? Thanks.

Re: Great shallow bite at Fork today - 06/07/15 08:16 PM

Originally Posted By: 361V
Mark, I was going to PM you but since the topic cams up might be others interested. I have a few of your 5" and 7" swimbaits. Nice! What hooks (weight/size)do you recommend for these sizes? Thanks.

Its really personally preference but the 7/0-8/0 Owners seem best on the 7" to me. The 10/) LFT swimbait hook is great as well. On the 5" I would go with a 6/0 or so. Just cchoose the wight based on the depth you want to fish them. They seem to do well deep and shallow. Thanks
Posted By: Fish Art Texas

Re: Great shallow bite at Fork today - 06/07/15 08:57 PM

sounds like fish are every depth- maybe just fish where there isn't anyone!
Posted By: Rube G.

Re: Great shallow bite at Fork today - 06/07/15 09:32 PM

Sucked for me today also, 1 fish at 10.00. I got off of the water around 3.30.
Posted By: Nutman

Re: Great shallow bite at Fork today - 06/07/15 09:37 PM

I fished Fork today from 6am--noon.
I only fished shallow. One bite on a plastic worm after putting in at Mustang.
Then nothing for the next 6 hours.
Top water, senkos, worms & even some weedless swim baits from the bank back out to 8ft.
Points, coves, islands, drop offs ........ nothing.
everyone I talked to said the same thing,,,, no bites.
is it the high pressure system that moved in over the weekend ?
or have the fish just started to scatter after swimming around in all the new vegetation in the higher water ?
This is why I am an amateur and not a professional tournament fisherman.
because I don't know why bass do what they do, let's put it this way.....I think they are supposed to act one way and they act another.

Re: Great shallow bite at Fork today - 06/07/15 09:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Nutman
I fished Fork today from 6am--noon.
I only fished shallow. One bite on a plastic worm after putting in at Mustang.
Then nothing for the next 6 hours.
Top water, senkos, worms & even some weedless swim baits from the bank back out to 8ft.
Points, coves, islands, drop offs ........ nothing.
everyone I talked to said the same thing,,,, no bites.
is it the high pressure system that moved in over the weekend ?
or have the fish just started to scatter after swimming around in all the new vegetation in the higher water ?
This is why I am an amateur and not a professional tournament fisherman.
because I don't know why bass do what they do, let's put it this way.....I think they are supposed to act one way and they act another.

I will be honest, I have no real clue why it was tougher the last 2 days for some. I almost always start shallow and stay shallow on Fork till I do not have to. I am not running around just chunking baits at any old thing up shallow. I target areas near deeper water, channel swings, multiple types of cover. I also key on baitfish and forage. I take the days conditions into play as best I can. Some days I get them like I did Friday and some days I struggle. I move out deeper when I have to but right now after Legend, TTBC and this API with Skeeter Owner this week I think a lot of the deep fish have been pounded on a lot. So have the shallow ones so to me I put myself where there are fewer boats when I can as I think those fish might be a bit less pressured.

Wish I had a better answer but thats really the gist of it.
Posted By: Captain Chunk

Re: Great shallow bite at Fork today - 06/07/15 10:58 PM

Threw the frog quite a bit today and worked my way into 5, biggest being a real close under that went close to 3 pounds. Around 10 am, all action stopped. Was in some areas where it sounded like they were busting shad, but I couldn't get them to commit. People I talked to at the ramp said they had no luck over the weekend at all.
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: Great shallow bite at Fork today - 06/08/15 01:08 AM

There are always fish shallow.... Always.....and somewhere they are eating, no doubt about it......seems kind of douchey to just assume someone is a liar because you didn't find them....

Re: Great shallow bite at Fork today - 06/08/15 01:55 AM

Originally Posted By: txmasterpo
There are always fish shallow.... Always.....and somewhere they are eating, no doubt about it......seems kind of douchey to just assume someone is a liar because you didn't find them....

No worries. He can have his opinion. Some people will keep a closed mind on fishing differently than what they "think" they need to be doing. Some people assume they are so good at fishing that if they struggle then everyone must be struggling. Again no worries. I will keep on fishing the way I enjoy fishing out there and sharing the results good or bad. Some can use the info and others can turn their nose up or doubt it. I have my share of bad days out there and then log on to see others whacking them. I choose to be happy for them. I have fun at fishing so as long as that keeps up I will keep sharing the results. cheers
Posted By: KB1953

Re: Great shallow bite at Fork today - 06/08/15 12:43 PM

coolphotos

Re: Great shallow bite at Fork today - 06/08/15 12:54 PM

Posted By: fordnut

Re: Great shallow bite at Fork today - 06/08/15 01:13 PM

No worries. He can have his opinion. Some people will keep a closed mind on fishing differently than what they "think" they need to be doing. Some people assume they are so good at fishing that if they struggle then everyone must be struggling. Again no worries. I will keep on fishing the way I enjoy fishing out there and sharing the results good or bad. Some can use the info and others can turn their nose up or doubt it. I have my share of bad days out there and then log on to see others whacking them. I choose to be happy for them. I have fun at fishing so as long as that keeps up I will keep sharing the results. cheers

Well that's why they call it fishing and not catching..... And that is just the way Fork is, they are on like donkey kong one day then bag of air the next. Mr. Perry don't worry there are those of us that certainly appreciate your posts and reports. Your style of fishing matches up with mine as I will always start shallow and stay there until I've exhausted all possibilities of a green finned critter existing that is willing to take what I'm offering. Keep it up! cheers
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Great shallow bite at Fork today - 06/08/15 01:21 PM

I wasted all of Saturday trying to get a deep bite going and battling all the boat traffic that kept running up and down the lake all day long.

Sunday was a way better day for me with a shallow bite. I just wish I had been entered in a tournament on Sunday. The unders were biting pretty good.
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Great shallow bite at Fork today - 06/08/15 01:27 PM

When did you grow a beard?

Re: Great shallow bite at Fork today - 06/08/15 01:59 PM

Originally Posted By: KB1953
coolphotos

I doubt pictures of fish 4lbs or under are all that interesting in regards to Fork... grin
Posted By: Scuppernong

Re: Great shallow bite at Fork today - 06/08/15 02:00 PM

I fished in the API and my wife and I had a great shallow bite going for both days as well. I caught a seven pounder on both days in two feet of water. One on a topwater, one on a fluke. We found a spot with the right size fish for the tournament (unders) and she got thirteenth place. I needed one more cull to get a check. They were there, I just didn't quite get it done on Friday like she did.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Great shallow bite at Fork today - 06/08/15 02:15 PM

It's a karma thing Mark. You answer every post with class and tact. The fish feel the positive vibes through your frog and eat for you when they won't eat for anyone else.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Great shallow bite at Fork today - 06/08/15 02:15 PM

Were there a bunch of pros fishing the API? I haven't seen as many wrapped boats and tournament jerseys since the TTBC.
Posted By: Allen P

Re: Great shallow bite at Fork today - 06/08/15 02:36 PM

Great post Mark. I am one with a lot of the guys on Saturday. It was just a TOUGH bite. Found a lot of good groups in 25-30', and couldn't get them fired up. I caught a few small ones, on a wobble head. I only fished shallow for a short period. NO Wind and very little current, if any, is what hurt the most I think. I fished from 9am til 4pm. I am going to captain a high school team this Saturday during the skeeter owners tournament, and was mostly scouting around, and looking at the non obvious areas. They can't cast until 8am.
Overall, this was a great thread to read through. Thank you all.

Re: Great shallow bite at Fork today - 06/08/15 02:40 PM

I don't know of any pros fishing in the API but for our entry we got black jerseys (Don't know who's idea black was, last year was white). You might have bee seeing jerseys on all the API guys.

Re: Great shallow bite at Fork today - 06/08/15 02:49 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
Were there a bunch of pros fishing the API? I haven't seen as many wrapped boats and tournament jerseys since the TTBC.

What exactly is the API? I noticed a ton of guys all had the same basic jersey on but some had different colors. Not that I had a problem with it in the least. Everyone was courteous on the water when we were out but I too noticed a ton of wrapped boats and jerseys. Did they do a 5 fish stringer format on Friday?

Re: Great shallow bite at Fork today - 06/08/15 02:55 PM

Not sure, Mark. I think API stands for American Petroleum Institute. It was an oilman's tournament. Wraps and jerseys don't bother me one bit. Just looked like lots of pros on the water or in that tournament.

Re: Great shallow bite at Fork today - 06/08/15 03:19 PM

API = American Petroleum Institute

It used to be mainly an oilfield men'n tournament down on Toledo Bend, but when the lake got so low a number of years back, they moved it to Fork. Now days I think it's pretty much an open tournament anyone can get tickets to. It also was strictly a big bass tournament when it was on Toledo but now they do a two day stringer, and you can do crappie or bass, heck, maybe both I'm not sure.

Re: Great shallow bite at Fork today - 06/08/15 03:22 PM

Not 5 fish stringer, 3 fish. Probably because that's the rule on Fork and we actually bring them in, not paper like the TTBC.
Posted By: BaylorLipRipper

Re: Great shallow bite at Fork today - 06/08/15 04:48 PM

I was on fork yesterday morning. I could not get any topwater bite whatsoever going for me, but did very very well throwing a jerkbait up shallow, and ripping it almost like a trap in the flooded cover. Hopefully they keep biting into the weekend
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Great shallow bite at Fork today - 06/08/15 05:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Scuppernong
Not 5 fish stringer, 3 fish. Probably because that's the rule on Fork and we actually bring them in, not paper like the TTBC.

Are you saying 3 fish is the law on fork?

Re: Great shallow bite at Fork today - 06/08/15 06:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Dubee
Originally Posted By: Scuppernong

Are you saying 3 fish is the law on fork?

Sorry, no, it just seems to be the rule for the API on Fork, I really don't know why.

Re: Great shallow bite at Fork today - 06/08/15 07:16 PM

Because it's 90+ degrees in the summer. All tournaments held May -September should be three fish events, IMNSHO. Fish stress much easier during the hot months from being caught, handled and toted around in a live well.
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Great shallow bite at Fork today - 06/08/15 08:47 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
Because it's 90+ degrees in the summer. All tournaments held May -September should be three fish events, IMNSHO. Fish stress much easier during the hot months from being caught, handled and toted around in a live well.

I agree 1000 times
Posted By: Workfishngolf37

Re: Great shallow bite at Fork today - 06/08/15 08:55 PM

wow that many boats!!! that is why gas needs to go up to 4 dollars a gallon. lol just kidding
Posted By: T54

Re: Great shallow bite at Fork today - 06/08/15 11:49 PM

Originally Posted By: **TheLoneRanger**
Fished Texas rigged craws of all colors... Deep diving cranks in 15-25' of water. Carolina rigged worms

All fish were 2' or less.

The devil is in the details?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum