Texas Fishing Forum

Why everything related to Bass so expensive....

Posted By: buton

Why everything related to Bass so expensive.... - 06/03/15 09:35 PM

Looking at prices for a Fish Bag or a Weigh bag...

cant believe a plastic bag is $20+ dollars.

this thing is made by the same Chinese guy at $1 dollar...
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: Why everything related to Bass so expensive.... - 06/03/15 09:46 PM

Look at the price to duck hunt. Mossy Oak Break-up hoodie 19.99. Max-5 camo 39.95. Both are Camo.......
Posted By: jseago

Re: Why everything related to Bass so expensive.... - 06/03/15 09:52 PM

Americans spend money on entertainment and hobbies. They skimp on more imp things often times. When the economy is down, people still make time for their hobbies, and that makes the industry a huge money maker.
Posted By: MV

Re: Why everything related to Bass so expensive.... - 06/03/15 09:55 PM

make sure you weigh in a big sack to get a check. smile
Posted By: Scott in Flower Mound

Re: Why everything related to Bass so expensive.... - 06/03/15 10:08 PM

Fans of any hobby are, by definition, 'fanatical'.

Retailers know this.

Marketing departments and Product organizations use it against you to maximize profits.

Don't buy the hype. Don't get sucked in. Use generic alternatives and substitutes.

As P.T. Barnum famously said, "There's a sucker born every minute."

Don't be a sucker.
Posted By: CJ.Skeeter

Re: Why everything related to Bass so expensive.... - 06/03/15 10:40 PM

I'll tell you how the fishing industry has a strangle hold on the enthusiasts, but it's gonna cost you $50.
Posted By: JoshMan734

Re: Why everything related to Bass so expensive.... - 06/04/15 12:29 AM

Get a black bag so ur actual bag of fish is a surprise!
Posted By: kirbydog

Re: Why everything related to Bass so expensive.... - 06/04/15 01:02 AM

Everything costs more these days. I'd rather spend it on fishing than most anything else.

I'm sure there are better ways to spend your money-but not ones that are more fun. OK, there is beer.
Posted By: JCBfromTHF

Re: Why everything related to Bass so expensive.... - 06/04/15 01:18 AM

They can charge it because people will pay it. Bass fisherman are some of the strangest people I know when it comes to what they pay for and what they actually get.
Posted By: Razorback

Re: Why everything related to Bass so expensive.... - 06/04/15 01:35 AM

Try pricing a Check It Stick that measures up to 24 inches. Is there gold dust mixed into the alloy?

I've never been able to get a fish into the boat without a net that costs at least $75...while wielding it wearing Under Armour gear. It's dang near impossible.
Posted By: RangerBass21

Re: Why everything related to Bass so expensive.... - 06/04/15 01:37 AM

Use a hefty trash bag as a weigh in bag
Posted By: Top Waters

Re: Why everything related to Bass so expensive.... - 06/04/15 04:26 AM

Well I think it is pretty obvious. The more expensive rods, reels, and tackle you have, the better fisherman you actually are. I saw a guy recently with some old cheap rods and reels at the dock. Me and my buddy just laughed at him. He was a total loon....... freak
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Why everything related to Bass so expensive.... - 06/04/15 04:30 AM

Honestly there are products for every budget out there. I ahve one of those $20 bags with the zipper top. It has lasted me 6-7 years so far, has blown out of boat while trailering and been ran over but still does not leak and looks great. Works even better. I figure $2.50-3.00 per year of use is what its cost me so far and getting cheaper daily. Money well spent.
Posted By: Devil Horse

Re: Why everything related to Bass so expensive.... - 06/04/15 04:39 AM

Same reason there are bassboats over $70k, because they know people will buy them.
Posted By: Workfishngolf37

Re: Why everything related to Bass so expensive.... - 06/04/15 06:35 AM

I'm rewriting that quote. Theres a sucker borning every 30 seconds.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Why everything related to Bass so expensive.... - 06/04/15 10:47 AM

This
Originally Posted By: JCBfromTHF
They can charge it because people will pay it. Bass fisherman are some of the strangest people I know when it comes to what they pay for and what they actually get.
And this
Originally Posted By: Devil Horse
Same reason there are bassboats over $70k, because they know people will buy them.
Posted By: Kevin Bryant

Re: Why everything related to Bass so expensive.... - 06/04/15 11:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
Honestly there are products for every budget out there. I ahve one of those $20 bags with the zipper top. It has lasted me 6-7 years so far, has blown out of boat while trailering and been ran over but still does not leak and looks great. Works even better. I figure $2.50-3.00 per year of use is what its cost me so far and getting cheaper daily. Money well spent.

This.

Even if things are overpriced (in your opinion), you are going to get what you pay for generally. If you want quality, you're gonna have to pay for quality...And that's not just in fishing.
Posted By: TanHner36

Re: Why everything related to Bass so expensive.... - 06/04/15 12:00 PM

I think a lot of people see it as a status symbol too, obviously not for things like the bags but gear and what not it definitely is. I see a lot of these guys roll up in a lifted 50k truck pulling a 40-50k boat and think how do you afford that?! Then I realize probably 1 out of 10 guys I see actually can afford it....
Posted By: Andrew Taylor

Re: Why everything related to Bass so expensive.... - 06/04/15 12:26 PM

Originally Posted By: kirbydog
OK, there is beer.

Posted By: Garvin

Re: Why everything related to Bass so expensive.... - 06/04/15 12:41 PM

Originally Posted By: TanHner36
I think a lot of people see it as a status symbol too, obviously not for things like the bags but gear and what not it definitely is. I see a lot of these guys roll up in a lifted 50k truck pulling a 40-50k boat and think how do you afford that?! Then I realize probably 1 out of 10 guys I see actually can afford it....

I agree, but what always fascinates me is, for the 9 guys out of 10 who can barely afford it, how in the world they get their wives buy-in on this. My wife can shut down any scheme of mine with two words:
"Sure thing." Which translates in woman language to, "Don't even think about it, PAL."
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Why everything related to Bass so expensive.... - 06/04/15 12:46 PM

Weigh in bags.... Important? Yes. Worth $20 for the cheap ones? Nope. Some of the better bags are way more money. I mean I "get it", but still don't get it! Lol. It's a bag to carry a couple gallons of water(maybe) and hopefully 5 decent bass from the boat to a scale. Why does it have to be so much money? Haha. Don't know. I'm glad the tournaments I go to provide them. I was shocked to find out that at a local "working mans" I had to borrow an "official" bag because I didn't own one. I caught two bass! I was gonna lip one in each hand. Lol. Nope. Felt like a rookie. I now know the bag is to hide the size from the others. Lol. Just kidding. So, yeah, I have a bag now. It's a cheap "official" bag. For the local tourneys.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Why everything related to Bass so expensive.... - 06/04/15 12:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Garvin

I agree, but what always fascinates me is, for the 9 guys out of 10 who can barely afford it, how in the world they get their wives buy-in on this. My wife can shut down any scheme of mine with two words:
"Sure thing." Which translates in woman language to, "Don't even think about it, PAL."

I get the "as soon as I get a new house" response. That usually delays my plans for a short time. Lol.

On the new boat I ordered, I just told her to expect a new payment to be on the computer desk for her to make soon. I thought it was gonna be the second time we would be divorcing. Lol. She only said , "well, I knew you were that way the first time, didn't think you changed over the two year divorce! Just work extra to pay for it!!" Haha.
Posted By: Razorback

Re: Why everything related to Bass so expensive.... - 06/04/15 01:09 PM

I have an old truck and an old boat. You can imagine the humiliation. I'm thinking about wearing a hood over my head so no one at the ramp will know my true identity, but with my luck someone will think I've joined ISIS. I guess I'll have to wear a t-shirt (Under Armour, of course) that says "I Love Bacon" so Billy Ray won't decide to take me out. Then again, I'm not sure Billy Ray will get the bacon reference...
Posted By: TanHner36

Re: Why everything related to Bass so expensive.... - 06/04/15 02:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Razorback

I have an old truck and an old boat. You can imagine the humiliation. I'm thinking about wearing a hood over my head so no one at the ramp will know my true identity, but with my luck someone will think I've joined ISIS. I guess I'll have to wear a t-shirt (Under Armour, of course) that says "I Love Bacon" so Billy Ray won't decide to take me out. Then again, I'm not sure Billy Ray will get the bacon reference...

Having a paid off boat/vehicle > owing the bank 200k

Let them think whatever they want grin
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Why everything related to Bass so expensive.... - 06/04/15 03:37 PM

I like to pull up to the weigh in with my flat bottom and then fillet a limit that would have placed in the tournament.
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Why everything related to Bass so expensive.... - 06/04/15 05:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Workfishngolf37
I'm rewriting that quote. Theres a sucker borning every 30 seconds.
Here is another...

"Theres a sucker born every click."
-Tackle Warehouse bolt
Posted By: TxDispatcher

Re: Why everything related to Bass so expensive.... - 06/04/15 07:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Txmedic033
I like to pull up to the weigh in with my flat bottom and then fillet a limit that would have placed in the tournament.

Oh damn...now you've gone and done it! stir haha
Posted By: kcb

Re: Why everything related to Bass so expensive.... - 06/04/15 07:36 PM

Browse around on Melton Tackle site which targets big game fishing. Look at the fighting chairs and the cost of bass fishing won't sting as bad. grin
Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan

Re: Why everything related to Bass so expensive.... - 06/04/15 07:44 PM

As American's we are addicted to China products and saving ourselves a buck.

We can all point our fingers at ourselves when China owns us.
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Why everything related to Bass so expensive.... - 06/04/15 08:09 PM

cause it is an addiction, and like other addictions they can crank up the price, cause we WILL pay for it
Posted By: salex

Re: Why everything related to Bass so expensive.... - 06/04/15 08:20 PM

Spend money on experiences not things.
Posted By: txwhitetail

Re: Why everything related to Bass so expensive.... - 06/04/15 08:59 PM

People are paying over $2 each for worm hooks....
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: Why everything related to Bass so expensive.... - 06/04/15 10:00 PM

One word "OIL".............
Posted By: Lowly Net Boy

Re: Why everything related to Bass so expensive.... - 06/04/15 10:31 PM

go to Walmart get the Berkley Heavy duty Fish Bag

Thank me later
Posted By: cephusjoe

Re: Why everything related to Bass so expensive.... - 06/05/15 12:55 AM

as far as the weigh bag, find a good tarp company near you give them your dimensions that you would like. Most tarp companies make boat tarps so they know how to sew a good weigh bag. That's what I did. The ole man charged me 15 buck, 5 years ago. Still using and it doesn't leak. Why bass fishing is so expensive is because people buy that expensive [censored].
Posted By: Clint Wr

Re: Why everything related to Bass so expensive.... - 06/05/15 01:12 AM

I like nice chit. Therefore I am broke and happy! I know miserable people with lots of money, but that aint me!
Posted By: OkieKev

Re: Why everything related to Bass so expensive.... - 06/05/15 02:15 AM

I use to use a brick and a rope, but now I am considering spending $2k on an anchor. Wait now apparently I need two of them to catch these little green fish....
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Why everything related to Bass so expensive.... - 06/05/15 03:05 AM

A fool and his money are soon parted. me and mine parted a long time ago!
Posted By: Indianation65

Re: Why everything related to Bass so expensive.... - 06/05/15 03:12 AM

It's why they were named Largemouth Bass!$!

...wisdom
Posted By: CJ.Skeeter

Re: Why everything related to Bass so expensive.... - 06/05/15 03:25 AM

Merica... flag
Posted By: newbiefisher

Re: Why everything related to Bass so expensive.... - 06/05/15 05:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry

Here is a great tip that no one thought of. Get a bag, run it over with a car because that will make it "Work even better"
Posted By: buton

Re: Why everything related to Bass so expensive.... - 06/05/15 12:43 PM

Originally Posted By: OkieKev
I use to use a brick and a rope, but now I am considering spending $2k on an anchor. Wait now apparently I need two of them to catch these little green fish....

LOl right....

very interesting everyone's opinion...

Quote:
Everything costs more these days. I'd rather spend it on fishing than most anything else.

Agree.... every time i am about to put some money in something i think and say mmm maybe is better if i buy something for fishing and not that Bluetooth door opener.

Quote:
I think a lot of people see it as a status symbol too,

Agree...expensive equipment better fisherman you will think....sometimes that doesn't happen

Quote:
As American's we are addicted to China products and saving ourselves a buck.

They are still made in china but they price them as if they were made in american by a guy with a PhD

Quote:
cause it is an addiction, and like other addictions they can crank up the price, cause we WILL pay for it

True

had fun reading this and i guess i will have to buy that freaking $30 fish bag. hammer
Posted By: RangerBass21

Re: Why everything related to Bass so expensive.... - 06/05/15 12:50 PM

Cause a lot guys think if I don't buy this I won't catch fish or I can't catch fish cause I don't have that , a lot of the stuff is a ginmick to lure in those guys, there's a lot who say I can't catch fish cause I don't have power poles , so they get it stuck in there head I'm not catching fish cause I don't have power poles, so they go out and buy 4000$ in power poles and still can't catch fish then it's oh cause I don't have a 12" graph etc
Posted By: DFW-fisherman

Re: Why everything related to Bass so expensive.... - 06/05/15 01:01 PM

Well said Ranger21!

But - we do feel better when we do it, and sometimes reap the reward of more fish. Then, we throw them back in the water and go on our way. What's up with this? eeks
Posted By: newbiefisher

Re: Why everything related to Bass so expensive.... - 06/05/15 03:56 PM

The one simple answer to this questions...BECAUSE WE ARE SUCKERS
Posted By: Chris G

Re: Why everything related to Bass so expensive.... - 06/05/15 05:58 PM

It's called CAPITALISM. So unless, you are an Obama lover, you should enjoy and embrace it. For every $300 rod there is a $30-$50 rod/reel combo you can use to fish with. Some prefer the $300 rod others are just fine with the $40 combo. There are $30 crank baits and $2 crank baits. Some prefer the $30 some prefer the $2 ones and BOTH will catch fish. Bass fishing is no different than the car industry, the dog food business or even the grocery business or whatever. There are a variety of prices points for very similar products in each and every line of business. Those with more value or even just more perceived value, garner a higher price while others don't.

So if you think a weigh bag for $30 is too much money, then don't buy it!! Buy a cheaper one or better yet just use the free weigh in bags most larger tourneys provide. The only reason I own a weigh in bag is because its much easier to already have one in the boat vs going to get one then come back.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum