Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Fork newbie

Posted By: HaulinBass02

Lake Fork newbie - 06/01/15 04:29 PM

Ok, so I've been to Fork a whole one time in the past 15 years. I'm planning on a trip this coming Sunday if the weather holds out cause I'm not about to compete for fishing room during the Skeeter tournament next week.
I'm coming from the DFW area and would like to know the best place to put in at that would get me near some good fishing without having to motor across the lake. I've been keeping up with what is working lure wise, I just don't know much about the lake and would like to get on some fish and make the trip worthwhile for me and my dad.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Lake Fork newbie - 06/01/15 04:37 PM

You want to fish shallow or deep?
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Lake Fork newbie - 06/01/15 04:42 PM

My first time I'd look into Popes Resort, Mustang Resort, or Lake Fork Marina.
I would concentrate my fishing in Big Mustang, Little Mustang, or Williams.
All great fishing areas, you won't have to go all over the lake, and you're
at three great ramps,..

Re: Lake Fork newbie - 06/01/15 04:43 PM

Wherever the fish are! I will say this, my 18'6" Skeeter isn't the best rough water boat so if it's real windy that day I'd like to be off in a branch or cove where I can handle it better.
Plus my dad doesn't get around too well any more and it makes it tougher on him trying to keep his balance, even in his seat, if the boat is moving too much. But if it's a decent day where it isn't too rough we will fish wherever. Looking for quality fish. He hasn't been fishing in years and I'd like to put us on some good fish.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Lake Fork newbie - 06/01/15 04:43 PM

That's what I would suggest for shallow. If you want to go deep, put in at 154 public ramp, Oakridge or Minnow Bucket.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Lake Fork newbie - 06/01/15 04:54 PM

If you want to get out of the wind and fish shallow you can put in at the 515 East Public Ramp and run into Glade, Coffee or Running Creek. All three have good shallow flooded cover. There are still a lot of fish up shallow.

Good luck!
Posted By: Fork-LegendV21

Re: Lake Fork newbie - 06/01/15 05:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.
If you want to get out of the wind and fish shallow you can put in at the 515 East Public Ramp and run into Glade, Coffee or Running Creek. All three have good shallow flooded cover. There are still a lot of fish up shallow.

Good luck!

I thought Fork was closed Ken
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Lake Fork newbie - 06/01/15 08:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Fork-Legend211
Originally Posted By: Ken A.

Good luck!

I thought Fork was closed Ken

May as well be for me Mike! frown
Posted By: BASS WHISPER 1970

Re: Lake Fork newbie - 06/01/15 10:56 PM

Best Advice, Keep your line Wet !
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Zach Hughes

Re: Lake Fork newbie - 06/01/15 11:32 PM

Put in at Popes or Mustang. You have big and little mustang plus Williams creek! You have both great shallow and deep water with in idling distance Hope this helps.

Re: Lake Fork newbie - 06/02/15 01:21 AM

I think I'll go with Pope's or Mustang for this go around. I appreciate the tips and I hope we can do some good out there!

Oh, what kind of cover are we looking at over there, hydrilla beds, standing timber, obviously flooded brush, kind of anything and all the above?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum