Texas Fishing Forum

Tharp and Erhler had no waypoints going into the TTBC

Posted By: Mark Perry

Tharp and Erhler had no waypoints going into the TTBC - 05/31/15 01:30 AM

Pretty good read.

http://www.bassmaster.com/blog/tharp-big-wins-and-little-adjustments#
Posted By: mudd

Re: Tharp and Erhler has no waypoints going into the TTBC - 05/31/15 01:39 AM

Thanks for posting. I run history a lot on Caddo and it bites me a lot! This year is so different out there
Posted By: Mark Jones

Re: Tharp and Erhler has no waypoints going into the TTBC - 05/31/15 12:18 PM

Outstanding read
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Tharp and Erhler has no waypoints going into the TTBC - 05/31/15 01:54 PM

Thanks for posting. Insightful article by Mr. Tharp--not surprised Ehrler and Tharp are good friends.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Tharp and Erhler has no waypoints going into the TTBC - 05/31/15 02:29 PM

Good read
Posted By: TexBbq

Re: Tharp and Erhler has no waypoints going into the TTBC - 05/31/15 02:44 PM

Very good read. Tharp knows how to break it down.

Re: Tharp and Erhler has no waypoints going into the TTBC - 06/01/15 02:39 AM

Both of them are among the very best.
Posted By: lamoon78

Re: Tharp and Erhler has no waypoints going into the TTBC - 06/01/15 04:34 AM

Nobody at that level should be able to get any help at the lakes they will fish.
Posted By: DKennimer

Re: Tharp and Erhler has no waypoints going into the TTBC - 06/01/15 04:54 AM

Good read. Tharp is a true gentleman. I love his attitude.
Posted By: T54

Re: Tharp and Erhler has no waypoints going into the TTBC - 06/01/15 10:14 AM

Originally Posted By: lamoon78
Nobody at that level should be able to get any help at the lakes they will fish.

Impossible to regulate it and I don't fault people for having a network. They have information cutoffs anyway. It's the most overblown thing at that level, IMO.
Posted By: Mark Jones

Re: Tharp and Erhler has no waypoints going into the TTBC - 06/01/15 04:00 PM

Originally Posted By: T54

Impossible to regulate it and I don't fault people for having a network. They have information cutoffs anyway. It's the most overblown thing at that level, IMO.

Bingo, it's irrelevant. They have to go out and catch them consistently over a multiple day event and beat 100+ other anglers who are the best in the world at finding them with or without information.
Posted By: TDR2

Re: Tharp and Erhler has no waypoints going into the TTBC - 06/01/15 10:50 PM

Have someone give you a random graph covered with waypoints on their home lake. To a person who didnt find them and dont know what they are, they can be pretty darn worthless.

Re: Tharp and Erhler has no waypoints going into the TTBC - 06/02/15 04:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Mark Jones
Originally Posted By: T54

Bingo, it's irrelevant. They have to go out and catch them consistently over a multiple day event and beat 100+ other anglers who are the best in the world at finding them with or without information.
I disagree and think its bull [censored] and IMHO its a form of cheating. If your the top 100 then go out on your practice days and figure them out on your own.

Re: Tharp and Erhler has no waypoints going into the TTBC - 06/02/15 04:48 AM

Looks like some of them did go out figure them out on their own. One was good for a win and the other a nice 11th place finish. I am betting more went blind into this than those that got help.

Re: Tharp and Erhler has no waypoints going into the TTBC - 06/02/15 04:57 AM

I think you would be suprised how many get local help from guides and some of the good sticks that spend alot of time on that paticular body of water they will be fishing. I know they do it I know numerous people that they get it from but hey if they can get away with it then to each his own but I dont and never will agree with it and think its totally wrong. To the few that dont I respect them more as a angler than the ones that do. Thats just my outlook on it.
Posted By: Kevin Sharp

Re: Tharp and Erhler has no waypoints going into the TTBC - 06/03/15 01:18 AM

I think you would be suprised how many get local help from guides and some of the good sticks that spend alot of time on that paticular body of water they will be fishing. I know they do it I know numerous people that they get it from but hey if they can get away with it then to each his own but I dont and never will agree with it and think its totally wrong. To the few that dont I respect them more as a angler than the ones that do. Thats just my outlook on it.

I have no idea how many of the pros you rode with during the TTBC, but I rode with three of them. Not only did they not have waypoints, they didn't even know where they could run. I did ask Mark Rose and Jason Christie why they were fishing the spots they were and both said they were just on points in front of spawning coves. Greg Hackney on day two said he was just running bank looking to catch a fish big enough to win a truck. He was fishing Little Caney and asked me twice if it was ok to run where we were.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Tharp and Erhler has no waypoints going into the TTBC - 06/03/15 01:34 AM

In 7 years of riding with them in the TTBC two things are common. They all say that fishing memories is a sure way to lose. Also that info doesn't mean much. They like to let the fish tell them what to do . The info they do like is from others in their group of a elite pros they hang out with. It's tough out there to make it alone. Most have a small group that helps each other find a pattern that had a chance of at least cashing a check.

Info is also a good way to get help losing. It cuts both ways .
Posted By: Monte Coon

Re: Tharp and Erhler had no waypoints going into the TTBC - 06/03/15 01:38 AM

Great article and having had the opportunity to fish with Brent in the Pro-Am it was obvious he had no way points he would be running up the lake and see something on his map like a creek channel and follow it for miles zigging and zagging back and forth pointing out what he saw. He mentioned to us that he had caught several good ones the day before in 35 feet of water and he had no idea they lived that deep on Fork. We spent about half of our 3 hour tournament time just riding around looking it was pretty cool.
Posted By: chickenfried76

Re: Tharp and Erhler had no waypoints going into the TTBC - 06/03/15 04:22 AM

for the average spare weekend guy like me, i think waypoints are good and bad. i'm not a big fan of tournament fishing, but it is very cool to see a guy go to fork or any lake with limited or no information and do well. it shows that they can read the conditions and execute. that kind of intuitiveness is a trait that all successful people hold.

personally when i go fishing, i always getted trapped in hitting "my spots". too often i leave the lake not loading the boat with fish. this is a great lesson in going blind, just reading the maps and conditions to know where fish should be holding. reading this gives me more confidence, albeit possilbly stupid bull-headed confidence, in looking at a shallow or deep water spot and fishing the conditions.

the good pro guys go on instinct, and it is paying off. i plan to employ this same kind of instinct when hitting the lake next time the ramps open around DFW.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum