Texas Fishing Forum

Strike King is the best company, check this out...

Posted By: DTX Angler

Strike King is the best company, check this out... - 05/28/15 06:06 AM

Before every tournament they send us a huge package of their products that we pick out. Also the owner picks people from my team to fish the triple T tournaments and BFL tournaments with some pros.
bow_down
Posted By: Ryorgensen

Re: Is knowing the strike king owner a good thing? - 05/28/15 09:19 AM

If I'm suppose to be jelious then it's working.....haha...
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Is knowing the strike king owner a good thing? - 05/28/15 12:43 PM

Sounds like a great opportunity to get a cool summer internship in the industry if you wanted.

I would make sure you take a minute and not only thank him by email but send a handwritten thank you. A company like Strike King gets thousands of requests for product per year. Those chose to help you out so make sure they know you realize and appreciate the opportunity.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Is knowing the strike king owner a good thing? - 05/28/15 12:44 PM

And we all wonder why lures cost so much.... I suppose much like welfare we will pay for someone else's free lures.

Just for clarification though, I'd take that box for free as well.
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Is knowing the strike king owner a good thing? - 05/28/15 12:46 PM

I would like to know him.. must be nice!

Also +1 to what Mark said.

Re: Is knowing the strike king owner a good thing? - 05/28/15 12:59 PM

Originally Posted By: grout-scout
And we all wonder why lures cost so much.... I suppose much like welfare we will pay for someone else's free lures.

Its marketing costs. Smart strategy to make high school anglers SK fans considering how many baits they will buy in the future. Its actually direct marketing to your target consumer.

Kinda hard for me to find fault with any company supporting high school anglers. uess you can if you try hard enough though.
Posted By: fwfisher

Re: Is knowing the strike king owner a good thing? - 05/28/15 01:00 PM

There's a bit of a difference between a commercial and a government organization...

Re: Is knowing the strike king owner a good thing? - 05/28/15 01:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
Sounds like a great opportunity to get a cool summer internship in the industry if you wanted.

I would make sure you take a minute and not only thank him by email but send a handwritten thank you. A company like Strike King gets thousands of requests for product per year. Those chose to help you out so make sure they know you realize and appreciate the opportunity.

Trust me I do!

Re: Is knowing the strike king owner a good thing? - 05/28/15 02:29 PM

Its marketing costs. Smart strategy to make high school anglers SK fans considering how many baits they will buy in the future. Its actually direct marketing to your target consumer.

Kinda hard for me to find fault with any company supporting high school anglers. uess you can if you try hard enough though.

They have high school angler teams now? Is this like a high school program or kids that join a group outside of school? I don't recall seeing or hearing about anything like this in our area, of course we don't have good lakes here either.
Posted By: Jigfish

Re: Is knowing the strike king owner a good thing? - 05/28/15 02:39 PM

i'll take the lot for $50. How's that banana

Re: Is knowing the strike king owner a good thing? - 05/28/15 02:49 PM

They have high school angler teams now? Is this like a high school program or kids that join a group outside of school? I don't recall seeing or hearing about anything like this in our area, of course we don't have good lakes here either.

Yep teams all across the state. It's a big deal.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Is knowing the strike king owner a good thing? - 05/28/15 03:32 PM

Yes, during the spring, there are posts at least once a week asking for volunteers to be a boat captain for high schoolers. Seems like a big deal and getting more popular.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Is knowing the strike king owner a good thing? - 05/28/15 03:55 PM

Good for companies to support high school anglers. I see no point in this post, "hey look at me I know they owner and get special treatment" should of posted something like "got my strike king cranks and plastics ready for summer, man they make some great stuff what do yall think of their products" this seems like a cruddy attempt to brag about something. I'm sure the OP meant better but it comes off that way

Re: Is knowing the strike king owner a good thing? - 05/28/15 04:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Good for companies to support high school anglers. I see no point in this post, "hey look at me I know they owner and get special treatment" should of posted something like "got my strike king cranks and plastics ready for summer, man they make some great stuff what do yall think of their products" this seems like a cruddy attempt to brag about something. I'm sure the OP meant better but it comes off that way

I was trying to show good of a company strike king is, with supporting us. I never meant to come off as bragging about them as a sponsor. I was trying to be funny with the picture because they send us so much stuff!!
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Is knowing the strike king owner a good thing? - 05/28/15 04:21 PM

You'd have been better off with a title like "Strike King is Such a Great Company!", but I wouldn't lose too much sleep over your original wording DTX. Congrats on having what it takes to attract a great sponsor!

Re: Is knowing the strike king owner a good thing? - 05/28/15 04:26 PM

I think that's kinda what bothered me as well, almost like a showboating comment. It's not so bad now knowing that he's a high school kid since they can't exactly afford to go buy this kind of stuff on their own.

Oh well, times have changed.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Is knowing the strike king owner a good thing? - 05/28/15 05:03 PM

Originally Posted By: DTX Angler

I was trying to show good of a company strike king is, with supporting us. I never meant to come off as bragging about them as a sponsor. I was trying to be funny with the picture because they send us so much stuff!!

ya I figured you just wanted to support your sponsor. Glad to see your getting some great tackle. 6xds are my go to in summer
Posted By: Kevin Bryant

Re: Is knowing the strike king owner a good thing? - 05/28/15 05:53 PM

These were my thoughts as well. There was no mention in the original post about being a high school team. It definitely came off as a bragging about being in with someone and showing it off. Maybe the intentions were different, but it definitely didn't read that way. Regardless, I am jealous and would love a big box of free SK goodies haha.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Is knowing the strike king owner a good thing? - 05/28/15 05:55 PM

Wow. Just wow.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Is knowing the strike king owner a good thing? - 05/28/15 06:18 PM

That's awesome. Like Mark said you can never thank a sponsor enough. Don't defend yourself against these guys that didn't like your post. It's not worth your time. There was nothing wrong with your post or the way you worded it.

Re: Is knowing the strike king owner a good thing? - 05/28/15 06:46 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
You'd have been better off with a title like "Strike King is Such a Great Company!", but I wouldn't lose too much sleep over your original wording DTX. Congrats on having what it takes to attract a great sponsor!

Thanks for the feedback... I changed it
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Is knowing the strike king owner a good thing? - 05/28/15 06:47 PM

cool guy, used to laugh when he walked around bps and would mention things to anglers who blew him off not knowing who he was.

Re: Is knowing the strike king owner a good thing? - 05/28/15 06:50 PM

Originally Posted By: SAKS
That's awesome. Like Mark said you can never thank a sponsor enough. Don't defend yourself against these guys that didn't like your post. It's not worth your time. There was nothing wrong with your post or the way you worded it.

Yeah I have finals to worry about lol. But I didn't mean to make people mad, I don't know how this affects people in a bad way. I was just showing what they do and how it's funny how they send us so much stuff.

Re: Is knowing the strike king owner a good thing? - 05/28/15 06:55 PM

Yeah I have finals to worry about lol. But I didn't mean to make people mad, I don't know how this affects people in a bad way. I was just showing what they do and how it's funny how they send us so much stuff.

Envision losing $50 worth of baits on a fishing trip that you worked your butt off to buy and then seeing guys get a bunch of free stuff. That's why people take it wrong in case you really didn't understand. Good luck on your finals.

Re: Is knowing the strike king owner a good thing? - 05/28/15 06:56 PM

Originally Posted By: senko9S
cool guy, used to laugh when he walked around bps and would mention things to anglers who blew him off not knowing who he was.

Which one, Charlie Spence or Ray Murski. Who owns Strike King now?

Re: Is knowing the strike king owner a good thing? - 05/28/15 06:57 PM

I think that's kinda what bothered me as well, almost like a showboating comment. It's not so bad now knowing that he's a high school kid since they can't exactly afford to go buy this kind of stuff on their own.

Oh well, times have changed.

Not my intention of this post. And I have a job and a car?
Posted By: Tony_Wornick

Re: Is knowing the strike king owner a good thing? - 05/28/15 06:58 PM

Envision losing $50 worth of baits on a fishing trip that you worked your butt off to buy and then seeing guys get a bunch of free stuff. That's why people take it wrong in case you really didn't understand. Good luck on your finals.

Us losing baits has nothing to do with it. I lose baits all the time, I'm not mad that he got a box of lures.
Losing baits is part of the game. I don't get mad when KVD gets a free spinnerbait.

Re: Is knowing the strike king owner a good thing? - 05/28/15 07:00 PM

Envision losing $50 worth of baits on a fishing trip that you worked your butt off to buy and then seeing guys get a bunch of free stuff. That's why people take it wrong in case you really didn't understand. Good luck on
your finals.

Yeah I totally get it. I have a job and pay for all my stuff except the free stuff like this. Also all this stuff isn't mine it's distributed out to the team.

Re: Is knowing the strike king owner a good thing? - 05/28/15 07:03 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
Originally Posted By: senko9S

Whcih one, Charlie Spence or Ray Murski. Who owns Strike King now?

Ray Murski and they both own 50-50
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Strike King is the best company, check this out... - 05/28/15 07:14 PM

Strike king has been donating and backing youth programs for a long, long time. I'm 47 and when I was a kid [13 or so) they donated tons of stuff to a fishing camp I attended every year. We even got tough the basics of spinner bait fishing by the man himself- Jimmy Houston.

Re: Strike King is the best company, check this out... - 05/28/15 07:20 PM

I was asking Senko but thx DTX. Since Mr's Spence and Murski are fishing the best bass lake in heaven, I assume you mean both families still own it. I thought Mr. Murski bought the whole shebang from Spence?

Re: Strike King is the best company, check this out... - 05/28/15 07:32 PM

fouz don't remember his name. tall grey haired guy, lived in dallas I think around 2000.

Re: Strike King is the best company, check this out... - 05/28/15 07:38 PM

That would be Mr. Murski, David. A true legend, fisherman, hunter and salesman. His family/foundation have done a ton for the youth of our great state.

Re: Strike King is the best company, check this out... - 05/28/15 07:40 PM

super nice guy when we would talk, thanks. fish
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Strike King is the best company, check this out... - 05/28/15 07:42 PM

eek2 Chris how the heck do you know all these guys ??? LOL... cheers
Posted By: crowsie14

Re: Strike King is the best company, check this out... - 05/28/15 08:01 PM

thumb
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Is knowing the strike king owner a good thing? - 05/28/15 08:20 PM

Wow. Someone you don't know receiving free baits shouldn't get you this worked up. I don't understand how it affects you at all, other than apparently making you jealous. That's what the above statement comes off as - jealousy because no one gives you free lures.

As has been said above, this probably comes out of SK's marketing budget and, look! It's working. We are talking about Strike King lures. It's far less expensive than giving Mark Zona, for example, a bunch of free sunglasses and paying to film a commercial and buy advertising slots on World Fishing Network. It also provides SK with good PR for supporting young anglers who will now probably spend money on SK lures in the future.

Strike King owns the lures it produces until they are sold to retail outlets. They can give as many away for free as they like (while they can stay in business doing so) and it still doesn't affect you, grout-scout, personally, unless you take umbrage and decide to never buy another SK product.

Lastly, you losing $50 of lures on a fishing trip is a you problem, not some high school kid who is sponsored by a lure company. I'd suggest maybe using some braid or buying some cheaper lures, though.
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: Strike King is the best company, check this out... - 05/28/15 08:22 PM

Congrats on the hook up. Keep everyone you meet close if you plain on advancing in this industry. Enjoy high school as much as you can. The Real world sucks along with the open fishing world. Hard to set yourself apart from thousands of people that want the same thing you do.
Posted By: emorydog

Re: Is knowing the strike king owner a good thing? - 05/28/15 08:36 PM

Careful there having an opinion duck hunter, you leave yourself open to snarky mindless drivel from the sheep on here who have no opinion unless they are told by someone what their opinion is.

SK is a great company and like to see them spreading fishing to the young. Not a fan of the original opening title, but seems to now be adjusted by the OP to better convey his excitement. Who wouldn't be excited to get a box of stuff for the team sent to his house...bet the rest of the team didn't waste any time getting over there to stake their claim.
Posted By: Jeff Gilbert

Re: Is knowing the strike king owner a good thing? - 05/28/15 08:45 PM

Originally Posted By: emorydog
Careful there having an opinion duck hunter, you leave yourself open to snarky mindless drivel from the sheep on here who have no opinion unless they are told by someone what their opinion is.

SK is a great company and like to see them spreading fishing to the young. Not a fan of the original opening title, but seems to now be adjusted by the OP to better convey his excitement. Who wouldn't be excited to get a box of stuff for the team sent to his house...bet the rest of the team didn't waste any time getting over there to stake their claim.

You haven't lived until you get a free box of crapola from SURPLUS INNOVATIONS.... I know the owner (one Emory Dog Weber) roflmao

Ray Murski was a mentor of a lot of us in the business for many years. He was the ambassador of the fishing world and a deep loss just a few years back. I'm good friends and serve on the board of the Texas State Bass Tournament with Mike, his son and he has the same heart and passion for kids and fishing that was instilled in him by Ray. The Murski's, Phil Marks, John Barnes, and that whole group are first class.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Is knowing the strike king owner a good thing? - 05/28/15 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Wow. Someone you don't know receiving free baits shouldn't get you this worked up. I don't understand how it affects you at all, other than apparently making you jealous. That's what the above statement comes off as - jealousy because no one gives you free lures.

As has been said above, this probably comes out of SK's marketing budget and, look! It's working. We are talking about Strike King lures. It's far less expensive than giving Mark Zona, for example, a bunch of free sunglasses and paying to film a commercial and buy advertising slots on World Fishing Network. It also provides SK with good PR for supporting young anglers who will now probably spend money on SK lures in the future.

Strike King owns the lures it produces until they are sold to retail outlets. They can give as many away for free as they like (while they can stay in business doing so) and it still doesn't affect you, grout-scout, personally, unless you take umbrage and decide to never buy another SK product.

Lastly, you losing $50 of lures on a fishing trip is a you problem, not some high school kid who is sponsored by a lure company. I'd suggest maybe using some braid or buying some cheaper lures, though.

Haha. I, having been married to a school teacher for almost 30 years, am GLAD the high school kids get a little help (free stuff) and a reason to get excited and brag a little. It will be these same kids trying to wash cars and going door to door trying to raise money to get to do what us [censored] do for fun every day. I ain't mad at em... I'm glad for them.

Now!!! On the other hand, I my [censored] neighbor EVER got a box of lures for free, I'd be pissed!! Lol. It's bad enough listening to him talk up his "mystery tackle box" junk. I tell him I'd rather have my boat stocked with the right stuff. Even if it was my own hard earned money going towards it, than to try and bass fish with a Minnesota Walleye lure. Lol n

Congrats kid....no go catch something and post pics of the lures doing what they should be doing, instead of looking pretty in a package.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum