Texas Fishing Forum

Grapevine spillway history

Posted By: Rob Lay

Grapevine spillway history - 05/27/15 11:49 PM

Lake is currently at 555.72 and spillway is 560. I went back and these are the only 4 times I can find in Grapevine Lake history where it went over the spillway. Anyone remember?

Appears the dates it went over were...

June 5th, 1957 - 560.80 max
October 31st, 1981 - 563.29 max
June 13th, 1989 - 562.32 max
May 3rd, 1990 - 562.96 max

Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Grapevine spillway history - 05/28/15 12:09 AM

I was there in 1981, it when it washed out the road behind the spillway and made the big deep hole that later they concreted...
Posted By: 361V

Re: Grapevine spillway history - 05/28/15 12:19 AM

Yes. One of those in the 80's caused lots of erosion & washed out the road for a long time.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Grapevine spillway history - 05/28/15 12:49 AM

I watched the road go in 81. the pond it created is deeper than the lake itself on one side of it and is full of fish till this day. it uncovered a bunch of dino tracks as well. that road used to be "U" shaped instead of a straight shot to the bait store.
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Grapevine spillway history - 05/28/15 01:02 AM

Originally Posted By: senko9S
I watched the road go in 81. the pond it created is deeper than the lake itself on one side of it and is full of fish till this day. it uncovered a bunch of dino tracks as well. that road used to be "U" shaped instead of a straight shot to the bait store.

You must be old. hammer

Re: Grapevine spillway history - 05/28/15 01:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Rob Lay

that's also a major reason none of the vegetation tpwd planted never took or any natural vegetation for that matter.

Re: Grapevine spillway history - 05/28/15 01:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Brent S

You must be old. hammer

haha, only 41 here. I grew up on that lake since it was all bikers on the cliffs in the 70's.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Grapevine spillway history - 05/28/15 01:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Brent S

You must be old. hammer

haha, only 41 here. I grew up on that lake since it was all bikers on the cliffs in the 70's.

Dang bro! You're as old as I am! wink

Re: Grapevine spillway history - 05/28/15 01:49 AM

no im not Gary... grin
Posted By: BrianTx01

Re: Grapevine spillway history - 05/28/15 01:59 AM

Tonight's storms should be enough to push it over in a few days. I was down at California Crossing today and it is already full.
Posted By: T Gutierrez

Re: Grapevine spillway history - 05/28/15 02:22 AM

I can remember in 81 there were people standing in the water as it topped the spillway netting fish as they came over. ( about 50 yards or so after it crested the spillway) I was only a 10 year old pup when that happened.

Re: Grapevine spillway history - 05/28/15 02:42 AM

I was skipping rocks at you.
Posted By: BrianTx01

Re: Grapevine spillway history - 05/28/15 02:47 AM

I don't remember anything about 1981...too young.

Re: Grapevine spillway history - 05/28/15 02:48 AM

ill give up the spillway pond but am curious if anyone here has fished it. its surrounded by reeds so bank access is limited. I used to hit it hard in my float tube, easiest jig fish ive ever caught. the concrete 45 angle is a topwater dream. it used to be core but now its city so I have no idea on the legalities.

Re: Grapevine spillway history - 05/28/15 02:51 AM

Originally Posted By: BrianTx01

it was the bees knees...
Posted By: T Gutierrez

Re: Grapevine spillway history - 05/28/15 03:08 AM

ill give up the spillway pond but am curious if anyone here has fished it. its surrounded by reeds so bank access is limited. I used to hit it hard in my float tube, easiest jig fish ive ever caught. the concrete 45 angle is a topwater dream. it used to be core but now its city so I have no idea on the legalities.

That's the promise land down there I'm sure! Lol

I really don't know because every time I got brave enough to venture down there I was cut off by security of the golf course, the core or the police. So it must be sacred! Lol
Posted By: stix921

Re: Grapevine spillway history - 05/28/15 03:13 AM

I have always wanted to get down there. Born and raised down the street and never done it. It's got to be filled with hogs

Re: Grapevine spillway history - 05/28/15 03:16 AM

I had a relationship with the coe, it wasn't cause my job. I just went and asked and as long as I didn't touch the concrete they were cool. most ignorant bass ive ever caught, it was amazing. fish

Re: Grapevine spillway history - 05/28/15 03:20 AM

they used to have a way cool type museum at their dam office of the lake with many pics. not sure if its still there.

Re: Grapevine spillway history - 05/28/15 03:22 AM

Originally Posted By: stix921
I have always wanted to get down there. Born and raised down the street and never done it. It's got to be filled with hogs

it still is, its 70 foot deep.
Posted By: tx_basser

Re: Grapevine spillway history - 05/28/15 03:23 AM

There is allot of BS flowing over the spillway in this thread.

Re: Grapevine spillway history - 05/28/15 03:25 AM

Originally Posted By: tx_basser
There is allot of BS flowing over the spillway in this thread.

like what?

Re: Grapevine spillway history - 05/28/15 03:29 AM

Originally Posted By: T Gutierrez

That's the promise land down there I'm sure! Lol

I really don't know because every time I got brave enough to venture down there I was cut off by security of the golf course, the core or the police. So it must be sacred! Lol

gotta park n pay at rockledge and hike over. it used to be free but I like it better this way for obvious reasons.
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Grapevine spillway history - 05/28/15 01:12 PM

Boy, this thread brings back some memories.... I remember when the big blow out happened, we fished and ski'd the lake every weekend possible(party on) everything around GV was free, parks,ramps etc... We drank beer like fish in the 70's, the biggest worry was bikers and the self proclaimed Grapevine Army that hung out at Murel beach and Rock ledge park..
Once the over flow blew the road out everything kind of gradually chanced to being more restrictive, you can't fart out there now without getting a ticket... Those blow hole fish are legndary for those that made the trek... grin Your right David.
Posted By: Chelsea FC

Re: Grapevine spillway history - 05/28/15 01:56 PM

We used to have it in our local pond rotation . Had a few good trips to "The Hole"
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Grapevine spillway history - 05/28/15 02:02 PM

David is always right. It comes with age.

Re: Grapevine spillway history - 05/28/15 08:30 PM

Neat stories.

Re: Grapevine spillway history - 05/30/15 08:00 PM

from pics yesterday it looked like it was about over. anyone confirm if it has gone over today?
Posted By: North Texas Bass Assasin

Re: Grapevine spillway history - 05/30/15 08:45 PM

looks like is still .09 away
Posted By: North Texas Bass Assasin

Re: Grapevine spillway history - 05/30/15 08:45 PM

looks like is still .09 away
Posted By: theflyguy3

Re: Grapevine spillway history - 05/30/15 11:11 PM

Grapevine has finally spilled over for the first time in 25 years.
Posted By: Brandon Adamcik

Re: Grapevine spillway history - 05/30/15 11:12 PM

Pics or it didn't happen
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Grapevine spillway history - 05/30/15 11:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Brandon Adamcik
Pics or it didn't happen
Posted By: JoshMan734

Re: Grapevine spillway history - 05/30/15 11:59 PM

It's barely going over but it's over!
Posted By: LvilleLrat

Re: Grapevine spillway history - 05/31/15 12:21 AM

Originally Posted By: BrianTx01

I don't remember a lot either but it was not because I was to young bouncy

Re: Grapevine spillway history - 05/31/15 01:07 AM

https://www.facebook.com/CityOfGrapevine...e=1&theater
Posted By: mike c.

Re: Grapevine spillway history - 05/31/15 01:08 AM

I was there in 81 also, me and my brother had a boat and made a lot of money going and getting peoples boats out of dry storage buildings. They were way out in the water and the boats were floating in the buildings. A lot of them we had to lift the trailer up and attach to the boat to get them out. the road below the spillway was gone and he and I were 2 of the people out there netting fish as they came over the spillway
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum