Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Tawakoni

Posted By: slotfish70

Lake Tawakoni - 05/26/15 04:34 AM

I just heard water is going over the spillway at Tawakoni. It is finally full.
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Lake Tawakoni - 05/26/15 05:02 AM

A full Tawakoni is a lot of fun. Glad to see it.
Posted By: james1584

Re: Lake Tawakoni - 05/26/15 03:40 PM

I heard that too, but I was really questioning it. I mean it was a foot low the day before, and suddenly it was going over. The spillway must be pretty low for that to happen.
Posted By: Skeeter_1

Re: Lake Tawakoni - 05/26/15 03:46 PM

this is TRUE... I got a facebook video yesterday of water going over the spillway at Tawakoni. I was there one day last week fishing and the fishing for me was tough with all the new water. But it was settle down and be fun as mentioned above.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Lake Tawakoni - 05/26/15 03:47 PM

There was a flow creating a pretty good current in Duck Cove before the rain hit. It was bound to be full today with that rain!
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Lake Tawakoni - 05/26/15 04:04 PM

Lake Tawakoni's spillway is at 437.5' and the water level, just a few minutes ago, was 437.65', so over the spillway it goes until all of that acreage of .15 feet of extra water drops below 437.5.

I'd imagine the lake is taking on additional water from run-off, then more rain in the general forecast.

It has some low flow outlets and some discharge pipes, too, so it could be they use these in anticipation of more rain so they might have started the discharge in advance of it hitting 437.5' though I am not sure.

It seems Bill Wilcox mentioned that at least one or more east Texas lakes dropped their water levels ahead of spring rains, you know, to make room for what was coming, perhaps head off flooding.

Brad
Posted By: Rube G.

Re: Lake Tawakoni - 05/27/15 01:24 AM

I drove over the Sabine (Hwy 69) this evening. The river bottom is out of it's banks, Tawakoni should rise quite a bit more.
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Lake Tawakoni - 05/27/15 02:15 AM

Yep, water lapping over the top today.. Took some pic's with my phone, hadn't seen that in a Looooooooooong time..
Posted By: rodiebob

Re: Lake Tawakoni - 05/27/15 02:51 AM

Im close to there where Sabine Creek runs through..More is coming..Finally the great Twak is full!! I bet it will be amazing this summer and fall!!
Posted By: Bass98

Re: Lake Tawakoni - 05/27/15 02:57 AM

I hope the fishing gets better which it should. I have been out there once since it came up caught one bass and a bunch of sand bass. I have not read a good report yet for largemouth.
Posted By: Skeeter man ZX225

Re: Lake Tawakoni - 05/27/15 11:59 AM

Was on Tawakoni Monday fishing is very tough, most people that we talked to had the same problem. lots of cover and few bass to be found. This is the most willow trees that I have ever seen in a lake, you would think that the fish would be somewhere in the willows, but we did not get one bite out of the willows. Monday the lake was 1 foot low and Tuesday it was 1 foot high, hope it 2 weeks the lake settle a little and the bite picks up. this upcoming weekend they are predicting more rain, makes for a tough pre-fish. good luck
Posted By: Andrew Taylor

Re: Lake Tawakoni - 05/27/15 12:05 PM

Posted By: Dan Phifer

Re: Lake Tawakoni - 05/27/15 09:00 PM

That is great. I kept looking at every lake being full and Tawakoni was inching up.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum