Texas Fishing Forum

Gibbons Creek Questions

Posted By: Kevin D.

Gibbons Creek Questions - 05/26/15 12:54 AM

I haven't been on Gibbons Creek for years, but I used to love that lake. What happened to all of the trees in the water? There used to be tons of standing trees to fish. Now there appear to be very few.

What is the secret to fishing this lake now? Especially with the water being up so much? The only thing I did that got so much as a bump on was a SPRO Frog in the lilly pads, but didn't put anything in the boat before the storms hit.

Re: Gibbons Creek Questions - 05/26/15 01:43 PM

Wow, 70 views, and not one response. I guess Gibbons Creek has gone down quite a bit in quality, and that is a real shame.
Posted By: JoeFriday

Re: Gibbons Creek Questions - 05/26/15 04:24 PM

Haven't fished that lake since the late 80's. It's on the list for a re-visit since my son will be in College Station starting in the Fall.
Posted By: RO519

Re: Gibbons Creek Questions - 05/26/15 04:30 PM

I fished it a few times while I was in school. We caught some good fish. We stopped fishing it when the hours got cut back to weekends only. We would run out there after class during the week, but you can't do that anymore. The "trees" are still there. Plenty of stumps in the lake.
Posted By: BigbassZ7

Re: Gibbons Creek Questions - 05/26/15 05:06 PM

I fish gibbons freq. when the water goes down about 2' it will look like a different lake with tons of visible standing timber. I stay away from the dense pads they look nice but are tough to fish, my approach is normally tie on a square bill and a deep diver and grind away
Posted By: JHNiem

Re: Gibbons Creek Questions - 05/26/15 05:54 PM

The lake is tough to fish once the fish hit the summer pattern for me. I do pretty good in the winter and during the spawn. The fish will get incredible shallow on this lake. In the summer I fish some off shore structure and trees off of points and catch a few fish. Deep diving crankbaits and jigs are normally what I use but I am not a gibbons creek expert by any means.

Re: Gibbons Creek Questions - 05/27/15 02:46 PM

Square bills, deep divers, and jigs. Got it. Any particular color?
Posted By: de_legaspi

Re: Gibbons Creek Questions - 05/30/15 12:44 PM

I try to get out to Gibbons about 1-2 times a year. I have had luck in areas that are 5-15ft. deep that have a harder, rocky structure to it. Use a tungsten weight with plastics to get a good feel for what's under the water and if it has some hard structure, fish it slow. I never seem have any luck up the lake by the trees or the island by the boat ramp. No matter how hard the fishing can be, I never really write off this lake.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Gibbons Creek Questions - 05/30/15 01:32 PM

Trees are still there but the bass aren't....
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum