Texas Fishing Forum

Castaway vs Kistler vs Falcon

Posted By: duncan07

Castaway vs Kistler vs Falcon - 05/24/15 01:32 AM

I know these companies all have ties of some sorts, but anyone have any opinions on who makes the best rods today?
Posted By: 90 5.0

Re: Castaway vs Kistler vs Falcon - 05/24/15 01:46 AM

Everyone has different opinions, but all of my castaway and falcon rods are back-ups now or rarely used bait rods and my main rods i use all the time are primarily kistlers(or loomis)
Posted By: M. Alexander

Re: Castaway vs Kistler vs Falcon - 05/24/15 01:59 AM

Falcon for me...mostly Lowriders, but have a few Caras. I've been using them exclusively for 20 years now. The only one I've ever broken has been on a ceiling fan. The Caras are super nice, but I really believe the Lowrider is the best bang for your rod buck out there.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Castaway vs Kistler vs Falcon - 05/24/15 02:22 AM

Personally I don't believe any rod builder is vastly superior to any other. I comes down to what do you like and what your willing to pay. KVD uses Quantum rods along with AOY Hackney but nobody ever talks about Quantum rods. Would they use a different rod if there was no sponsorship? I personally prefer my Falcon Cara's except in heavy techniques where I use Power Tackle. I have a AllStar flippin stick that cost 1/3 of my Power Tackle and has performed just as good for me but in my mind the Power Tackle is a better rod because I paid more for it. I think you can pick just about any brand and as long as you like it they will perform well. You don't have to spend a fortune to get a quality rod. Spend a little time and don't let anyone tell you what to like.
Posted By: BoomBoom

Re: Castaway vs Kistler vs Falcon - 05/24/15 02:31 AM

I love my Kistler rods, but I agree with what others have said. There are a ton of good rods out there. Find what works for you and your price range.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Castaway vs Kistler vs Falcon - 05/24/15 03:35 AM

Kistlers are stellar rods. I love all of mine faviorte rods I throw
Posted By: 90 5.0

Re: Castaway vs Kistler vs Falcon - 05/24/15 04:58 AM

Originally Posted By: SAKS
Personally I don't believe any rod builder is vastly superior to any other. I comes down to what do you like and what your willing to pay. KVD uses Quantum rods along with AOY Hackney but nobody ever talks about Quantum rods. Would they use a different rod if there was no sponsorship? I personally prefer my Falcon Cara's except in heavy techniques where I use Power Tackle. I have a AllStar flippin stick that cost 1/3 of my Power Tackle and has performed just as good for me but in my mind the Power Tackle is a better rod because I paid more for it. I think you can pick just about any brand and as long as you like it they will perform well. You don't have to spend a fortune to get a quality rod. Spend a little time and don't let anyone tell you what to like.

That seems to be about the norm, most top level pro's use what 1/2 of tff would consider "Junk"
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Castaway vs Kistler vs Falcon - 05/24/15 05:04 AM

The more and longer i fish the more I find rods that are good/better for specific techniques

I carry a variety of manufactures and don't think one is any better than others
I have 6-8 shamino crucials I like for heavy flipping/working baits. I carry 2-3 falcons for cranking square bills and deep cranks. Hell I even carry a cheap $40 academy all star that is a great trap rod

I find myself finding specific setups that work great and keep them instead of changing rods every few years to keep up with the jones's

Find what works for what your wanting and go with it
Posted By: Gangster

Re: Castaway vs Kistler vs Falcon - 05/24/15 12:28 PM

I use BPS Extremes, with the exception of a Lowder and Shimano Crucial Flippin stick.The BPS poles have brought in everything I have hooked with no problems. I think fishing equipment is designed to catch more fisherman than fish. It is a marketing scheme and we all take it hook line and sinker. Literally. Pun intended. I mainly watch my line more than feel as I don't have great feeling in my hands. Learned that tip from Rick Clunn.

Re: Castaway vs Kistler vs Falcon - 05/24/15 04:47 PM

Its kind of funny that a pro would use with good success what an amateur considers inferior. Edwin Evers uses all BPS rods and reels. That would have been a better example than I gave originally. I was just wanting to show that a couple of the best there is uses equipment that will never get thrown into a conversation when talking about topics like this one.

Re: Castaway vs Kistler vs Falcon - 05/24/15 04:54 PM

I think so too. But i am also guilty.
Posted By: SIR-FISH-LOT

Re: Castaway vs Kistler vs Falcon - 05/24/15 07:11 PM

I use castaway for years, now I use falcons rods with that been say I think the old castaway rods better.
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: Castaway vs Kistler vs Falcon - 05/24/15 07:51 PM

I like Falcon rods for their longevity.... Classic, simple, strength..... I use TFO Tacticals too but I'm thinking I'm moving all to Falcon and Fenwick.....something to be said for companies that never go away.

People, bass guys in particular, try to buy talent and keep up with the Jones'....my 2¢
Posted By: Rudy Lackey

Re: Castaway vs Kistler vs Falcon - 05/24/15 07:55 PM

BPS Extremes & Crucial My favs...
Posted By: bFROG5

Re: Castaway vs Kistler vs Falcon - 05/24/15 11:50 PM

Kistler makes quality rods and are run by awesome folks that really stand behind their product. great warranties and one of the best rods for the money.
Posted By: Bud Will(iams) Fish

Re: Castaway vs Kistler vs Falcon - 05/24/15 11:53 PM

I have Crucials, Cumaras, and Falcon Caras. I spent way more on the Cumaras and Caras but I find myself picking up my crucials more than the others.
Posted By: Phoenix_Ed

Re: Castaway vs Kistler vs Falcon - 05/25/15 12:28 AM

Originally Posted By: bFROG5
Kistler makes quality rods and are run by awesome folks that really stand behind their product. great warranties and one of the best rods for the money.

Living clost to Kister's office, I have bought several of mine directly through them. Always nice to meet the guy in person who puts his name on a product, plus I like supporting a small business. Lots of good rods out there, about like a Ford vs Chevy topic!
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Castaway vs Kistler vs Falcon - 05/30/15 06:10 PM

Out of the 3 that you listed I would choose Kistler.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum