Texas Fishing Forum

Thank You to Fishermen and Country Folks

Posted By: TXBatman

Thank You to Fishermen and Country Folks - 05/23/15 04:48 PM

Good Morning All,

As most of us know, our beloved USA is going through a significantly trying time where race relations are concerned. There are idiots on ALL sides of this issue who have done NOTHING but fan the flames of hatred and distrust! Sometimes, I suspect that this is all part of some sick, evil design by [whomever] and for WHATEVER! But most of us will agree that our nation is in dire need of healing, lest it (we) implodes upon herself! This healing, has to begin with SOMEONE! And who better to initiate such healing than fishermen/fisherfolk (a little PC in action..Hahaha!)?

Forgive this post for not containing any fishing information, but I wanted to take a moment to express my appreciation for fishermen and country folks. EVERYWHERE that my brother and me have towed our Skeeter, we have been treated with courtesy, respect and eager friendliness by other anglers and locals. There are no friendlier, non-presumptuous folks than fishermen and country folk! Whether it was a friendly offer of fishing tips, or the jovial welcome of the operators of one of the good 'ol "Mom and Pop" Filling Stations (You know! The ones that serve the delicious greasy hamburgers and awesome fried chicken!!). Yes, there is a difference in a Filling Station, and a mere gas station...but that's another topic!

In these places, the folks (and I'm speaking of white people), are ALWAYS very welcoming to us. Keep in mind that a lot of those little towns are predominately white. And all of our experiences have been great. From Lake Fork, to Ray Roberts, to Richland Chambers, Tawakoni, Possum Kingdom, Squaw Creek (Glen Rose) and many more....nothing to report but good! Anyone that knows me, will testify that I have NEVER carried a race card! I was not raised that way....And I'm from the Deep South (Louisiana/Mississippi). My wife and me are blessed to make a VERY good living. And our appearances herald that! However, we HAVE noticed subtle signs of pause and presumption at various times and places! But all of these times in places were in urban and metropolitan settings, and from people who at least appeared to be modernists and/or professionals. But this NEVER happens with fishermen or country folks. The closest we ever came to an experience of presumption was the time that we pulled the boat to Lake Fork to do some bass fishing. We stopped at a little Bait and Tackle Shop, and as soon as we walked in, the nice lady behind the counter hurried over to the minnow tank, picked up the net and asked "How many you need hun?" Hahahahaha!! We both got a kick out of it, but we recognized that her eagerness to serve us showed that there was no aversion to our presence there! Needless to say, I bought a couple of the most expensive spinnerbaits in the place just to show what we were about!! Hahahaha!!

So, I just wanted to jumpstart the healing process by saying THANK YOU to all fisherfolks and country folks who love AND TREAT EVERYBODY with dignity, respect and courtesy. I'm sure that I've probably come across some on this forum at some point, so thank you especially. Forgive me if you see this post on the other forums, but since I fish for largemouth, crappie and sandbass, I would like for all to see it! Again, thank you for being the type of people that you are. For it is folks like YOU that make America the greatest nation on Earth! May God bless and keep you, and please know tah I am praying for everyone that has been affected in some way by the severe weather and floods that we have experienced of late. Again, THANK YOU!

Just Another American
Posted By: Skip

Re: Thank You to Fishermen and Country Folks - 05/23/15 04:57 PM

What you say has a lot of merit. It is all about treating people the way you want to be treated. And I think our country will be OK.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Thank You to Fishermen and Country Folks - 05/23/15 05:02 PM

right on man. cheers
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Thank You to Fishermen and Country Folks - 05/23/15 05:06 PM

Proof this old world ain't near as bad as some would like you to believe. LOTS of positivse around us if we just look hard enough.

Great post. Thanks and glad ya'll had a great time.
Posted By: El Skeeter

Re: Thank You to Fishermen and Country Folks - 05/23/15 05:10 PM

Great post!!
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: Thank You to Fishermen and Country Folks - 05/23/15 05:41 PM

I don't know who you are.....but I wish you had a louder voice......God Bless and come fish Fork anytime, I always have a spare room. clap
Posted By: John Anderson

Re: Thank You to Fishermen and Country Folks - 05/23/15 05:49 PM

Great post... I live in a small country town in Liberty, Tx and we have different races in our area and we treat everyone with respect. There is bad apples in every bunch but if the good ones stick together we can make it through this.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Thank You to Fishermen and Country Folks - 05/23/15 06:56 PM

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Good fishing my friend.
Donald
Posted By: cephusjoe

Re: Thank You to Fishermen and Country Folks - 05/23/15 08:13 PM

Glad you've had great experience!
Posted By: BCBPuma

Re: Thank You to Fishermen and Country Folks - 05/23/15 09:24 PM

I second this post. I moved to lake fork area from Chicago 3.5 years ago and I can't tell you how great I have been treated by the wonderful people here in Texas. Theres always someone that want to get a rise out of a situation and there are some that take the bait. But this is my thoughts exactly about fisherman everywhere. Great post and if you and your brother are out at Fork hit me up.

Derrick
Posted By: Phoenixbird721

Re: Thank You to Fishermen and Country Folks - 05/23/15 10:39 PM

this is the truth man. I wish I could like this a million times over, good luck to you on your future outings!
Posted By: Trickster

Re: Thank You to Fishermen and Country Folks - 05/23/15 10:54 PM

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Can I borrow one of those spinner baits? grin
Posted By: FMJshooter

Re: Thank You to Fishermen and Country Folks - 05/23/15 10:58 PM

Media stirs the pot for ratings, leaders and politicians do it to keep people riled in their camp. At the end of the day they get paid to stir chit and gain power.

Most folks outside the city have better things do with their time and want to be left alone so they can enjoy themselves with like minded people.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Thank You to Fishermen and Country Folks - 05/23/15 11:13 PM

Originally Posted By: John Anderson
Great post... I live in a small country town in Liberty, Tx and we have different races in our area and we treat everyone with respect. There is bad apples in every bunch but if the good ones stick together we can make it through this.

Our bad apples are caused because of drugs. Not people in general. We thankfully have great southern small town folk.
Posted By: Rodney2100

Re: Thank You to Fishermen and Country Folks - 05/24/15 12:33 AM

Great post..the young ones on this forum need to read this.
Posted By: lakeforkfisherman

Re: Thank You to Fishermen and Country Folks - 05/24/15 12:44 AM

TXBatman, we don't care what color you are. Thank you for your post. I agree with you. Fisherman are (for the most part) a bunch of good people that just want to enjoy and appreciate God's gifts to us here on earth.

Welcome to the forum!
Posted By: BVF_LoP_Guide

Re: Thank You to Fishermen and Country Folks - 05/24/15 12:45 AM

Great post ! Glad yall had a good trip !
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Thank You to Fishermen and Country Folks - 05/24/15 01:01 AM

Well said my Brother.
Posted By: M. Alexander

Re: Thank You to Fishermen and Country Folks - 05/24/15 01:09 AM

God bless you, man. Great post.
Posted By: RZ520

Re: Thank You to Fishermen and Country Folks - 05/24/15 03:00 AM

I'm from the South (Texas), grew up in a little town. All us kids were the same (white, black, brown, whatever). Didn't know folks hated each other because of color 'til I left home and went to the city. Now everyone hates everyone and only cares about "Me, Me, Me...." Well, I'm white but my best friend is black. We share a Boat often and talk about our country upbringing and could pass for brothers. Country living style and fishing is what we share. I'm fortunate to have the nice Boat and means to go fishing. He does not have a lot of money, but I feel I need him at least as much as he needs me 'cause I need his company.
I don't know why young black people hate us so much, but it is obvious everytime a young black man looks at me with those daring eyes. What has caused this? I think it is TV leaders wanting power. I wish we could just all get along and share this world in a friendly way.
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: Thank You to Fishermen and Country Folks - 05/24/15 05:11 AM

People of all races have died defending this great country and that what sets us apart from the rest of the world. Thanks Batman for posting this subject, maybe we can fish together someday.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Thank You to Fishermen and Country Folks - 05/24/15 06:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
Proof this old world ain't near as bad as some would like you to believe. LOTS of positivse around us if we just look hard enough.

Great post. Thanks and glad ya'll had a great time.
Posted By: FlaNative

Re: Thank You to Fishermen and Country Folks - 05/24/15 12:58 PM

Excellent post... thumb thumb
Posted By: B-rader

Re: Thank You to Fishermen and Country Folks - 05/24/15 02:21 PM

Awesome post , if you're ever looking to get out on Roberts give me a shout
Posted By: Phototex

Re: Thank You to Fishermen and Country Folks - 05/24/15 03:09 PM

An outstanding post by an upstanding American! I totally welcome your remarks and agree with you. I am Caucasian, but carry no race card. You would be welcome in my boat or home at any time, and I'd gladly fish from the back seat of yours. Thank you for the extremely refreshing post!

Tom
Posted By: txfsh

Re: Thank You to Fishermen and Country Folks - 05/24/15 04:26 PM

The great Dr. King once said that we should judge a person by the content of their character not the color of their skin. I have always lived by those words. When 9-11 happened we came togeather as a people and set aside our petty prejudices. Its a shame that it took that tragedy to do that but at least it shows that we can unite as one. Sir...I applaude you for extending the olive branch. I have never met you but will always consider you as a friend.
Posted By: Cass Caldwell

Re: Thank You to Fishermen and Country Folks - 05/24/15 04:30 PM

Great stuff!
Posted By: Brocephus

Re: Thank You to Fishermen and Country Folks - 05/24/15 08:14 PM

TX Batman, Totally agree with you, and great post.

It's obviously a complex issue, not easily understood or explained. I'm sure that none of us will ever understand all the reasons for why this stuff seems to be happening, and getting worse. I'm with you and I don't want to over simplify it but it boils down to one thing, evil. None of this is happenstance.

One political party shows it's true colors so people get angry and vote for the other. Then that political party shows its true colors so people get angry and vote for the other one again. When someone suggests that maybe neither party has our best interests in mind, and are only serving special interests, people call you crazy or paranoid. But the true definition of crazy is doing the same thing and expecting different results.

Politicians, the news media, social media, political correctness - they have us all focused on race and partisan politics and while we are distracted and focused on each other, the manipulators behind the scenes are robbing us blind and building a fence of control around us. Call me crazy, but if one is really paying attention these days, one can start to connect the dots.

I love fishing more than anything and I feel like it my greatest release from the "real world". It's been such a great bonding tool for me and my dad, my friends, etc. I hope that I can continue to go fishing as long as I'm drawing breaths and can make some more friends and build some new bonds along the way.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum