Texas Fishing Forum

Best lure for 8+ lb bass in private lake

Posted By: Jigflippa

Best lure for 8+ lb bass in private lake - 05/21/15 06:56 PM

Going to a private lake I get to fish sometimes. Last time caught 50 fish over 3 pounds on senkos but none over about five. This lake is amazing. I want to specifically try to catch a ten pounder and weed out some of the threes. Any tips? I know you must think I'm exaggerating but I am dead serious about the size of these fish. The lake is old so I know there's some hogs in it. The bass are schooling in there. It's like nothing I've ever seen. They school like stripers. The lake is abt 50 acres
Posted By: Sparlin

Re: Best lure for 8+ lb bass in private lake - 05/21/15 06:57 PM

Bigger lures?
Posted By: MidloMan

Re: Best lure for 8+ lb bass in private lake - 05/21/15 06:57 PM

Big swimbaits
Posted By: texashelms

Re: Best lure for 8+ lb bass in private lake - 05/21/15 07:05 PM

1. Start eating them 3 pounders.
2. Invite me and I'll show you how it's done.

Most likely someone stocked that lake with bass years ago. Thats why they're the same size.
Posted By: BASS101

Re: Best lure for 8+ lb bass in private lake - 05/21/15 07:08 PM

Buzzbait, Super spook, swimbaits and I would try some big worms like 12 - 16 inch.... good luck!
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Best lure for 8+ lb bass in private lake - 05/21/15 07:17 PM

Finding a private lake that has 8 lb plus fish is the first priority. You gotta fish where they live.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Best lure for 8+ lb bass in private lake - 05/21/15 07:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
Finding a private lake that has 8 lb plus fish is the first priority. You gotta fish where they live.

id say he has found that...... If you are catching them up to 5lbs in a 50 acre lake I would be willing to bet there are some bigger fish. Start with swimbaits 6-8inch soft body ones like the 316 rising son. what structure does the lake have? and whats the address?
Posted By: JoeFriday

Re: Best lure for 8+ lb bass in private lake - 05/21/15 07:26 PM

wopics

Please post pics of this private lake and identifying landmarks nearby. We've got to see it to believe it.
Posted By: west tex angler

Re: Best lure for 8+ lb bass in private lake - 05/21/15 07:36 PM

Don't overrule the fact that it might not have 8 lb bass. It just might be overstocked, and have too many fish.
Does the landowner do any work with state game and fish to do surveys?

Anyway, I can do all of this for you, can I bring a rod??
Posted By: WCGunns

Re: Best lure for 8+ lb bass in private lake - 05/21/15 07:43 PM

Jig with trailer
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Best lure for 8+ lb bass in private lake - 05/21/15 07:44 PM

I can't tell you how to do it here in a public forum but I can show you.

PM me.

woot
Posted By: timwins31

Re: Best lure for 8+ lb bass in private lake - 05/21/15 07:46 PM

Big swimbait for the real big fish, 10"+. If you want a real ride, throw an A rig in the middle of those 3lb schoolers. You can harvest some serious numbers with that thing when the fish are schooling.
Posted By: JacksonBean

Re: Best lure for 8+ lb bass in private lake - 05/21/15 07:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Jigflippa
The lake is old so I know there's some hogs in it. The bass are schooling in there. It's like nothing I've ever seen. They school like stripers. The lake is abt 50 acres

50 acre lakes require active management typically do grow big bass or you end up with a lot of skinny 3 pounders and nothing close to eight. The big ones just can't compete and cannibalize the way the younger fish can. But that's not what this is about.

Like others said..... Throw big swimbaits. I was able to fish a lake similar to this recently and we caught most of ours on 7" Senkos, jigs and top water baits.

Sounds like fun.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Best lure for 8+ lb bass in private lake - 05/21/15 07:54 PM

Good recommendations above:

At sunrise and if some clouds, I'd use big (over 100mm/4inches in length) topwaters: full size spooks, striper walking and popping baits, big prop baits, big frogs

Posted By: Billy_Lawson

Re: Best lure for 8+ lb bass in private lake - 05/21/15 08:28 PM

I'll keep it simple for you. The big swim bait deal is the best way to target giants, but you need some water clarity for it consistently work. If the the water in said pond is dirty, then rig up a 3/4 oz tx rig pegged with a beaver style bait and flip the thickest nadtiest cover you got. Get right in the heart of it. Don't worry about how you will get them out of the cover, you can figure that out once they are on. But what if water is dirty and there is not much cover? Big 3/4 oz jig with a full sized hyper freak trailer. Drag it, hop it, swim it, do different retrieves til you get a bite. These techniques won't get as many bites as others, but all 3 have proven over time to catch a big fish.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Best lure for 8+ lb bass in private lake - 05/21/15 08:42 PM

chatterbait with green over white skirt, slow roll it around cover and the bank early and late day. if you can find a channel in the lake let the chatterbait hit bottom and jig it with short but sharp jerks then let sit for a few secs. repeat.

this works great on bigger bass in private waters.

next would be a med. sized swimbait in whatever perch type is there, this is what caught this (private lake or would have been new Okie state record at the time).

Posted By: Bissett

Re: Best lure for 8+ lb bass in private lake - 05/21/15 09:12 PM

Are you fishing from the bank or do you have access to a boat for this place?
Posted By: Dr JL

Re: Best lure for 8+ lb bass in private lake - 05/21/15 10:24 PM

Need more info
Water clarity?
Water depth?
Types of cover, structure?
Known wt of lake record?
And yeah bank or boat?

Hard to say without a little more info.

Re: Best lure for 8+ lb bass in private lake - 05/21/15 10:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Billy_Lawson
I'll keep it simple for you. The big swim bait deal is the best way to target giants, but you need some water clarity for it consistently work. If the the water in said pond is dirty, then rig up a 3/4 oz tx rig pegged with a beaver style bait and flip the thickest nadtiest cover you got. Get right in the heart of it. Don't worry about how you will get them out of the cover, you can figure that out once they are on. But what if water is dirty and there is not much cover? Big 3/4 oz jig with a full sized hyper freak trailer. Drag it, hop it, swim it, do different retrieves til you get a bite. These techniques won't get as many bites as others, but all 3 have proven over time to catch a big fish.

I like this advice based on water clarity.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Best lure for 8+ lb bass in private lake - 05/21/15 11:27 PM

So many things we have to know to really advise you on getting one of the DD's out of there. Many have been mentioned. There are two things not pertaining to the baits that will make all the difference in getting one. Although if the lake has deep grass then you can throw this out the window also.

- Overcast day which has not been much of a problem lately. HA...
- The other is silence.

You will have to be in a well equipped boat to get the silent part down. This technique will give you the chances to fish the shore line for the medium size bass as well as the deeper parts of the lake. Work the shallows with the trolling motor staying out of the deep water areas. Go very shallow and parallel cast the shore line. Once you get the boat positioned to make a drift with a very light wind then take that advantage. Never use the trolling motor and turn off all electronics. Let the drift take you to the deeper water where ever it will take you; but do not uses the trolling motor. I like to use the drift blade to slow the boat down if there is a little too much wind.

Once you get to the far end of the lake then fish the bank again until you can get to a different drift line and start another drift being very silent with your equipment, music, talking and movement in the boat.

I use 3 baits for this technique.
- My custom spinner bait and custom jig. Both are equipped to work on all the senses a big bass uses to determine if the meal is worthy of the bite.
- My short/light C-Rig with custom hand poured bait again holding all the senses that the big bass is looking for.

If the lake is long with no bends so you can stay off the trolling motor then you can add a 4th. bait which would be long lining a DD crank for the right depth. You can control depth changes by rod positioning, reeling in and letting out line.

Even drifting this small lake you will lessen your chances with every drift made. So make your first two drifts good ones.
Posted By: texashelms

Re: Best lure for 8+ lb bass in private lake - 05/22/15 12:03 AM

I would say try some Phish sticks from Phantom tackle but i can't find them anymore, sorry. mad
Posted By: Fast Lane

Re: Best lure for 8+ lb bass in private lake - 05/22/15 01:15 AM

Drag a 1/2 ounce Jig with a Rage Craw Trailer or a 7" Senko Texas rigged with a 1/8 ounce weight.

Re: Best lure for 8+ lb bass in private lake - 05/22/15 04:50 AM

I like that drift idea Mr Harper.
Keep stealthy!
Posted By: YAKaddict

Re: Best lure for 8+ lb bass in private lake - 05/22/15 10:51 AM

Magnum flukes!
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Best lure for 8+ lb bass in private lake - 05/22/15 11:25 AM

Swim bait
Jig
Magnum fluke
7 inch Senko
Posted By: H B

Re: Best lure for 8+ lb bass in private lake - 05/22/15 01:28 PM

That's awesome, nothing better than a private bass pond thats loaded with big ones...

I would rig up these 5 rods

Brush Hog or Swim Jig with brush hog on the back
Mag Fluke (weightless)
Alabama Rig
Zara Spook
6" Huddleston Swimbait

Have fun buddy
Posted By: OUFishing-Sean

Re: Best lure for 8+ lb bass in private lake - 05/22/15 01:45 PM

I also like to throw a 10" power worm
Posted By: ChrisBlackmon95

Re: Best lure for 8+ lb bass in private lake - 05/22/15 10:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Billy_Lawson

Yep!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum