Texas Fishing Forum

Fluorocarbon breaking inside the spool

Posted By: Jkrez

Fluorocarbon breaking inside the spool - 05/13/15 12:51 PM

No matter which brand of fluoro I use, I always somehow get a break in the middle of my spool. I've lost countless lures by casting and watching the lure and the line fly into the lake.

Now let me say that I'm not the best caster in the world...I don't get birds nest, I get eagles nests about once a trip on one of my reels. I do string my reels under tension and I don't let loose string stay loose inside the reel (as long as I see/feel it in time).

Does anyone else have this problem? Anyone know what's causing this for me?
Posted By: timwins31

Re: Fluorocarbon breaking inside the spool - 05/13/15 12:58 PM

i would bet it's the backlashes. Floro line is VERY brittle and a tiny kink can cause it to snap. That stiff floro line may also be why you're having trouble casting. It's so stiff it can unspool itself. If you want sensitive line check out some P Line CXX copolymer. It's stronger than floro and much more limp, easier to cast too.
Posted By: blackhorse

Re: Fluorocarbon breaking inside the spool - 05/13/15 12:58 PM

Try High Seas copolymer, know exactly what your talking about

Re: Fluorocarbon breaking inside the spool - 05/13/15 01:00 PM

Does Copolymer have the same benefits as fluoro?
Posted By: 6BOOMER

Re: Fluorocarbon breaking inside the spool - 05/13/15 01:03 PM

This is why I also switched to P-Line Copolymer..
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Fluorocarbon breaking inside the spool - 05/13/15 01:07 PM

Don't give up on flourocarbon line. Get a good one, like InvisX, it will be soft enough to make casting easy. And strong enough to feel confident with it.

I've been using it, in 15lb, to flip and pitch HEAVY weeds lately on a Falcon Amistad. Good stuff.

But, yes, the backlashes are probably causing the kink in the line. Also could just be a bad spool of line.
Posted By: westxbass82

Re: Fluorocarbon breaking inside the spool - 05/13/15 01:09 PM

If you get hung up, don't put the pressure of the break off on the spool. Fluoro will cut into itself and create weak spots. Before I figured this out, I had the same problem. Since I figured it out, I've never had that problem.

Re: Fluorocarbon breaking inside the spool - 05/13/15 01:10 PM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
Don't give up on flourocarbon line. Get a good one, like InvisX, it will be soft enough to make casting easy. And strong enough to feel confident with it.

I've been using it, in 15lb, to flip and pitch HEAVY weeds lately on a Falcon Amistad. Good stuff.

But, yes, the backlashes are probably causing the kink in the line. Also could just be a bad spool of line.

I've been using InvisX and Sniper, both with the same issues. I've also used some other random brands just to give them a try, and the same thing.

And it's not just 1 spool of line, it's many spools.
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: Fluorocarbon breaking inside the spool - 05/13/15 01:18 PM

It's possible that you don't have your reel adjusted correctly, and they way you cast can also cause issues.
Posted By: 96speed

Re: Fluorocarbon breaking inside the spool - 05/13/15 01:32 PM

Sounds like its getting knicked somehow. Could be your reel or possibly your rod guides that damages the line a tiny bit here and there.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Fluorocarbon breaking inside the spool - 05/13/15 01:37 PM

Well. If it's many different brands, and spools of flourocarbon, then it's obviously not the line. I'd look at the reels for burrs on the level wind and look at the rod guides for wear. Something is causing the line to get weak spots. List of reasons that flourocarbon breaks.

1. Really big fish and hard hookset with a single looped line tie
2. Abrasion cuts on the line that go unnoticed until it's too late
3. Using far too small of a weight line for the application
4. Line dig in the spool from a previous hard hookset that causes a kink/weak spot
5. Over stretching under weighted line
6. Severe backlashes causing knot kinks in the line
7. Bad spool of line.

These are the "line related" problems.

The rod and reel can also be major issues too. If the rod tip is missing an insert, it will link the line on a hookset, then the next cast it can break where the link was. A bad guide insert anywhere on the rod can cause abrasion nicks leading to broken line (had this happen on a StCroix that was brand new).

Like I said. Don't give up on the line. I use it everyday on every reel that I own that isn't a braid setup. I simply never have these issues. And I backlash on occasion. Just not the huge nests your having. I actually have more backlashes flipping and pitching with flourocarbon. The trick is to straighten it out ASAP. And not pull on the line when doing so.
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: Fluorocarbon breaking inside the spool - 05/13/15 01:38 PM

Originally Posted By: 96speed
Sounds like its getting knicked somehow. Could be your reel or possibly your rod guides that damages the line a tiny bit here and there.

Run a q-tip along each of your guides on your rod and if it pulls anywhere, you have another problem and it's not the line. Is this happening on different set-ups?
Posted By: emorydog

Re: Fluorocarbon breaking inside the spool - 05/13/15 01:52 PM

Likely casting with a loop in the spool
Posted By: Razorback

Re: Fluorocarbon breaking inside the spool - 05/13/15 01:56 PM

If you get a bad kink in fluourocarbon you might as well cut everything above it because at some point it is going to break. I would bet your problem has to do with kinks caused by backlashes.
Posted By: timwins31

Re: Fluorocarbon breaking inside the spool - 05/13/15 02:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Jkrez
Does Copolymer have the same benefits as fluoro?

I honestly think its better than fluoro. It sinks, it's very limp, and it's very sensitive as well. I use it for almost all of my single hook presentations. Plus it's limp enough that you can crank with it, throw spinner baits on it, pretty much any moving bait. And the thing that I love the most, it stretches way less than fluoro.
Posted By: And Mye

Re: Fluorocarbon breaking inside the spool - 05/13/15 02:36 PM

you could always spool with braid, then use a flouro leader.
Posted By: Undertaker56

Re: Fluorocarbon breaking inside the spool - 05/13/15 03:09 PM

Seagaur!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: 374 Trigger

Re: Fluorocarbon breaking inside the spool - 05/13/15 03:32 PM

Junk the the Flo and spool up with CXX p line problem solved
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Fluorocarbon breaking inside the spool - 05/13/15 03:53 PM

If you don't pick a bird nest all the way out it'll cut the line.

That's your problem.

Other than that, fluoro is junk. Spool up with a premium mono and you won't get bird nests.
Posted By: Amac88

Re: Fluorocarbon breaking inside the spool - 05/13/15 05:09 PM

When you put new line on your reels, do it with the line coming off the top of the line spool instead coming from the bottom and use some line conditioner. I use seagaur flouro and never have issues.
Posted By: Rickmb

Re: Fluorocarbon breaking inside the spool - 05/13/15 05:55 PM

I have had this happen a few times with flouro and with PLine Flouroclear. In my case what curses it is letting the line loosen on the spool and eventually it will kink. Brittle lines will weaken hand eventually break. I watch for this now and will occasionally make a long cast and peel off line until I'm down into the neatly packed coils on the spool. I stretch the line as I reel it back on. No more problems.
Posted By: 04champ

Re: Fluorocarbon breaking inside the spool - 05/13/15 07:30 PM

I have been using Invisx for years and have never had this problem.

My dad, on the other hand, had this problem for a long time with Big Game. I noticed that he did not properly clear his backlashes.

I'm quite sure that your problem is your backlashes, either the way you are picking them out or you are not completely clearing them and loops or kinks are forming inside the spool
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Fluorocarbon breaking inside the spool - 05/13/15 07:35 PM

Originally Posted By: emorydog
Likely casting with a loop in the spool

Yep.. Even a tiny loop left in the spool will slap around when you cast and eventually break during the middle of a cast. Line does not simply break for no reason while casting. This is an operator error. Fluorocarbon is stiffer than mono and less forgiving but it will not just snap in two for no reason.
Posted By: basslegacy

Re: Fluorocarbon breaking inside the spool - 05/13/15 11:05 PM

Nobody mentioned this so I will add... DO NOT PULL HARD on your line when a back lash is stuck. This is the kiss of death. It will make the kink permanent causing you to repeat backlashes, and will also cut into the line. Funny how some people feel like they should just pull hard and the backlash will magically come out! Also, some fluros have more memory than others. Some are softer and some are more abrasion resistant. I prefer invisX for any light line applications and abrazX when fishing in and around cover. It is definitely more abrasion resistant, but has a little more memory. I'm actually starting to prefer abrazX overall... Nobody talks about it but it is dang good.
Posted By: basslegacy

Re: Fluorocarbon breaking inside the spool - 05/13/15 11:06 PM

And copolymer has WAY more memory than pure fluro. That is the downside of it IMO.
Posted By: Bud Will(iams) Fish

Re: Fluorocarbon breaking inside the spool - 05/14/15 01:39 AM

I did not read through all the comments so if this is a repeat sorry. It is from loops in your spool due to backlashes. You can not get away with loops in the spool with Fluoro.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Fluorocarbon breaking inside the spool - 05/14/15 01:47 AM

Some really good feedback here. I think the "breaking inside the spool" indicates you have damaged the line getting out your frequent tangles.

An interesting discovery by the Tackle Tour line reviews found that, first of all, fluorocarbon lines actually do stretch more than claimed, and average of 10.5% as I recall. But, another measurement that now goes into the Tackle Tour rating system for these lines found that fluorocarbon lines under constant pressure "deform," that is, they never fully recover from an elongation. That means they have been physically altered, likely weakened. More than mono or braid? I don't know but the fact that the material is often more brittle than the others means it would certainly be subjected to more of these sorts of line irrecoverable stresses.

This is just a nerdy way of determining that fluorocarbon is sensitive to cutting into itself, to kinks and wind knots, to stretching from which it doesn't fully recover.

One last idea, not for your predicament since your line is breaking off inside the spool, but for all lines and it appears particularly the fluorocarbon, you certainly wouldn't want to clip your lure or hook at the end of the day to the hook keeper, then crank down the line. It would create a sharp acute angle up at the end of the rod and a likely breaking point. Keep your line loose.

Brad
Posted By: Txduckgunner

Re: Fluorocarbon breaking inside the spool - 05/14/15 02:55 AM

Originally Posted By: 6BOOMER

OH NO! HE SAID P LINE! pline= [censored]!
Unfortunately, you will try different lines along your flouro journey.
The Berkley vanish and the p lines are usually some of the first mistakes.
Even once you have moved on to quality lines ie. seguire and BPS 100% fluoro etc.
If you are for some reason to have some colossal backlash you are able to identify those distinctive kinks, and can learn to identify them. The better lines have a lot less trouble with spool kink breaks than others.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Fluorocarbon breaking inside the spool - 05/14/15 03:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Txduckgunner
Originally Posted By: 6BOOMER

OH NO! HE SAID P LINE! pline= [censored]!
Unfortunately, you will try different lines along your flouro journey.
The Berkley vanish and the p lines are usually some of the first mistakes.
Even once you have moved on to quality lines ie. seguire and BPS 100% fluoro etc.
If you are for some reason to have some colossal backlash you are able to identify those distinctive kinks, and can learn to identify them. The better lines have a lot less trouble with spool kink breaks than others.

P Line CXX is a very good co-polymer line.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Fluorocarbon breaking inside the spool - 05/14/15 03:04 AM

Originally Posted By: basslegacy
And copolymer has WAY more memory than pure fluro. That is the downside of it IMO.

That depends on the co-polymer line you are using. Some have very little memory.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Fluorocarbon breaking inside the spool - 05/14/15 03:10 AM

P-Line cx and cxx rocks, but the fluoroclear is like vanish.
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Fluorocarbon breaking inside the spool - 05/14/15 03:35 AM

Do you by chance smoke?
While worm fishing, I have more than one had ashes fall in my spool. Holding the rod up with the reel right in front while smoking. A little ash falls in and melts the line, on the next cast it sends the bait airborn.
Posted By: T54

Re: Fluorocarbon breaking inside the spool - 05/14/15 05:03 AM

I had this problem a lot when I was using Invizix. I switch the Sniper and it hasn't been an issue, but I have been more meticulous about clearing any loops.
Posted By: Manchu

Re: Fluorocarbon breaking inside the spool - 05/14/15 04:11 PM

Quit reeling down on your kinks
Posted By: FishFace.007

Re: Fluorocarbon breaking inside the spool - 05/14/15 07:51 PM

So you see it, it could be one of a thousand issues. Either the backlashes, inferior quality line, something on the surface of your guides or lack of guide insert. For the backlashes I would say tighten up your brakes until it stops backlashing. Won't cast as far but will spend more time fishing then picking your lash. Gradually loosen the brakes as you start to backlash less and less over time. If you still have the problem check your guides with the q-tip, as suggested earlier. Good luck!
Posted By: Undertaker56

Re: Fluorocarbon breaking inside the spool - 05/14/15 08:46 PM

Another good thing is a spool pick got one from bass pro shops about 3.00
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum