Texas Fishing Forum

What Baits Do Ya'll Use in Rapid Filling Murky Lakes ?

Posted By: Lee in Texas

What Baits Do Ya'll Use in Rapid Filling Murky Lakes ? - 05/13/15 02:46 AM

thankfully, getting full pool levels or close to on the lake now but, the waters are not going to be 'clear' for a while. What baits do ya'll use in these conditions?
Still darker, i.e., watermelon creature baits? Lighter colors? Chatter baits? Spinner baits? Top water?
Am at a loss as to what ya'll think is the best and your 'go to bait'....
Thanks in advance,
God Bless
Posted By: JerryC

Re: What Baits Do Ya'll Use in Rapid Filling Murky Lakes ? - 05/13/15 02:51 AM

Fred,

In these stained and or dirty waters, I have been really successful with Junebug colors on my soft plastics.
Posted By: timwins31

Re: What Baits Do Ya'll Use in Rapid Filling Murky Lakes ? - 05/13/15 02:58 AM

I'll be throwing a lot of moving baits, chatterbait, spinner bait, squarebill, swimbait.
Posted By: M. Alexander

Re: What Baits Do Ya'll Use in Rapid Filling Murky Lakes ? - 05/13/15 03:02 AM

Colorado bladed spinnerbait, 10" black/blue/blue fleck power worm & senko...close to cover as possible, on mud lines & near current of incoming water. Good luck!
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: What Baits Do Ya'll Use in Rapid Filling Murky Lakes ? - 05/13/15 03:12 AM

Black n blue rage craw on a 0/3 Gama hook. Screw lock pegged tungsten weight. Caught 17 this evening. Lost 6 possibly good sized. Of the 17, one was tiny, biggest was about 2 1/2lbs. Average was just under 2 ea.

Flip and pitch into every nook and cranny of fresh water/grass. Almost all fish were caught in less than 1 1/2ft of water within 2-4 ft of the bank.

Re: What Baits Do Ya'll Use in Rapid Filling Murky Lakes ? - 05/13/15 03:14 AM

Did you use any scent or added coloring? thanks
God Bless
Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
Black n blue rage craw on a 0/3 Gama hook. Screw lock pegged tungsten weight. Caught 17 this evening. Lost 6 possibly good sized. I the 17, one was tiny, bigger was about 2 1/2lbs. Aver gave was just under 2.

Flip and pitch into every nook and cranny of fresh water/grass. Almost all fish were caught in less than 1 1/2ft of water within 2-4 ft of the bank.
Posted By: blooper961

Re: What Baits Do Ya'll Use in Rapid Filling Murky Lakes ? - 05/13/15 03:16 AM

Black plastic worms. Stick out like a sore thumb in murky water.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: What Baits Do Ya'll Use in Rapid Filling Murky Lakes ? - 05/13/15 03:18 AM

Does it have reeds??

Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: What Baits Do Ya'll Use in Rapid Filling Murky Lakes ? - 05/13/15 03:18 AM

No. Just right out of the packaging. Went through an entire 7 pack of craws in 3 hours. The ones I missed came back to the boat without claws. Lol. If it was slow, chances are I would have sprayed some bang garlic, but I lost the first fish on the first cast. And never tried anything different. The bass would crush it as soon as it hit the water. A few were caught on the first hop. None were caught twitching or draggin. It was pitch and get ready. Lots o fun. Wish I got an earlier start.

Re: What Baits Do Ya'll Use in Rapid Filling Murky Lakes ? - 05/13/15 03:21 AM

Ok, thanks. Looks like two schools of thought, one with some form of vibration and one with darker colored creature baits.
roflmao well, can at least narrow it down to those......doesn't sound so far like added coloring or scents, i.e., garlic/shad seem to be in the mix.
Good stuff to know....thanks ya'll
God Bless

Re: What Baits Do Ya'll Use in Rapid Filling Murky Lakes ? - 05/13/15 03:22 AM

No sir, not that I know of or have found yet.
CONFESSION: Haven't been on Eagle Mountain since it has filled, YET. But I sure will be roflmao
NICE fish Donald,
God Bless
Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
Does it have reeds??

Posted By: Brent S

Re: What Baits Do Ya'll Use in Rapid Filling Murky Lakes ? - 05/13/15 03:31 AM

Here's my two cents.

Given the time of year, the majority of fish will be in 16 ft or less. There's two methods I would key in on.

1. Shallow fish in the flooded vegetation.

These fish are up shallow and feeding on craws, fish, frogs, lizards, worms, etc. The technique to use is flipping. Depending on how thick the vegetation is peg your weight and flip a creature bait or large profile plastic in dark colors. The fish will be spread out so cover water.

2. Main lake schoolers.

These fish are feeding on shad and follow their movements. I would target points and flats in 10 to 16 ft and throw a crank bait with a fast retrieve. If there is a lot of vegetation in that 10 to 16 ft range throw a swim jig with your favorite swimbait trailer. The key is to fish fast. The spawn is done and the fish should be more active.

Important things to note for dirty water. Large profile lures and rattles are important. Colorado bladed spinnerbaits and chatterbaits will also work.
Posted By: T54

Re: What Baits Do Ya'll Use in Rapid Filling Murky Lakes ? - 05/13/15 03:59 AM

in the days immediately after a flood, a lot of fish won't move up right away, they will actually stay about where they were before the flood. So if they were in 5 foot before it flooded and it came up 10 foot, there should be fish in 15. The water quality is really poor and those fish don't rush right up into it. It needs to settle out first.

Re: What Baits Do Ya'll Use in Rapid Filling Murky Lakes ? - 05/13/15 11:46 AM

roflmao FLOOD, good description! I was hesitant to call it 'stained'.....just plain muddy.
Should, I hope clear in a few days.....
God Bless
Posted By: GarySHO

Re: What Baits Do Ya'll Use in Rapid Filling Murky Lakes ? - 05/13/15 12:23 PM

chartreuse dynamite
Posted By: Phototex

Re: What Baits Do Ya'll Use in Rapid Filling Murky Lakes ? - 05/13/15 01:24 PM

In those conditions, I've had good results with:

1. Colorado-bladed single-spins, usually with either fluorescent orange or chartreuse blades, slow-rolled or waked parallel to the flooded vegetation
2. Black 6" and 8" plastic worms, T-rigged and pegged in the flooded vegetation
3. Black/blue fleck Biffel Bugs. Rage craws, and Brush Hogs, T-rigged and pegged, flipped into the thickest newly-flooded brush you can find
4. Red or orange Rattletraps, fished fast on flooded banks without much brush
Posted By: KingwoodCat

Re: What Baits Do Ya'll Use in Rapid Filling Murky Lakes ? - 05/13/15 01:34 PM

Originally Posted By: timwins31
I'll be throwing a lot of moving baits, chatterbait, spinner bait, squarebill, swimbait.

What he said, the muddy water will cause a need for vibration from moving baits for the fish to home in on. Their lateral lines will get a workout for quite some time to follow.

Re: What Baits Do Ya'll Use in Rapid Filling Murky Lakes ? - 05/13/15 07:55 PM

Man, were going to need 'something' that generates movement or noise! More rain coming....banks are almost all overflowing.....
Not griping, tickled to have water for a change....
Good tips here...thumb
Thanks all....
God Bless
Posted By: Leever

Re: What Baits Do Ya'll Use in Rapid Filling Murky Lakes ? - 05/13/15 08:53 PM

Gill net works well.
Posted By: Bois d'arc

Re: What Baits Do Ya'll Use in Rapid Filling Murky Lakes ? - 05/13/15 08:56 PM

Lipless baits....lots of rattle baits. 2cents

Re: What Baits Do Ya'll Use in Rapid Filling Murky Lakes ? - 05/13/15 08:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Leever
Gill net works well.
frkazoid I need one....
Posted By: Superslab

Re: What Baits Do Ya'll Use in Rapid Filling Murky Lakes ? - 05/18/15 01:31 AM

I've been having good success with running a Strike King sexy shad 3/4 oz spinner thru flooded vegetation.
Posted By: gatt40

Re: What Baits Do Ya'll Use in Rapid Filling Murky Lakes ? - 05/18/15 01:56 AM

Fished Coleto today and she was high and muddy. Did pretty good early on Chartreuse 3/4 oz. spinner bait with bronze and silver willow blades. Crawdad color square bill crank baits also worked. As the day got on, switched to dropshot over grass in deeper water on natural and darker color plastics rigged Texas style. Good luck.
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: What Baits Do Ya'll Use in Rapid Filling Murky Lakes ? - 05/18/15 02:02 AM

Lots of noise, vibration, and color. 3/8 to 3/4 oz. spinner baits with tandem willows, buzz baits, all thrown up as shallow as I can get in the heaviest new freshly flooded cover available........
Posted By: chargerboat

Re: What Baits Do Ya'll Use in Rapid Filling Murky Lakes ? - 05/18/15 02:03 AM

UV tight line uvenko, 3to 1
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum