Texas Fishing Forum

Broken Bow lake, all ramps closed

Posted By: GarySHO

Broken Bow lake, all ramps closed - 05/12/15 04:54 PM

Lake is up about 19 feet and still rising. All ramps are closed for all those interested.
Posted By: brandon f.

Re: Broken Bow lake, all ramps closed - 05/12/15 05:54 PM

Originally Posted By: GarySHO
Lake is up about 19 feet and still rising. All ramps are closed for all those interested.

wow

I would like to see some pics of that!

Looks like Broken Bow drains into Millwood Lake just north of Texarkana and it is already around 13' high before it goes into the Red River.

Makes you wonder how much water will be flowing through there in a few days/weeks when Texoma starts letting water out too...

There is a crazy amount of coordination between organizations and states when it comes to all of this. Actually I guess all 3 lakes are Core lakes, but still...
Posted By: Brandon Adamcik

Re: Broken Bow lake, all ramps closed - 05/12/15 07:33 PM

im sure it will wash out Beavers Bend Park again
Posted By: danceswithbass

Re: Broken Bow lake, all ramps closed - 05/12/15 08:07 PM

I have a trip planned up there in June so been following it some, they let a lot of water out down spillway creek in the month of April. The flow seems to be manageable now and the trout fishing has actually returned to being decent (unlike 2007 when it blew out roads and all the holding cover) if the local bulletin boards are accurate.
Posted By: mudd

Re: Broken Bow lake, all ramps closed - 05/12/15 08:43 PM

Here in Shreveport we expecting River to crest at close to 30ft. Hasn't been that high since 90's

Re: Broken Bow lake, all ramps closed - 05/12/15 08:57 PM

Right now it is holding everything because of everything else is flooded.It runs into little river which feeds Millwood. I drove over Little river twice Sunday and it was out of its banks.Pine Creek Lake is on Little Riverand it is 28 feet high and holding. They have not held water in Pine Creek for a while due to Dam damage.It will be 2007 all over again.

Re: Broken Bow lake, all ramps closed - 05/12/15 09:51 PM

...but, that was before the water level rose. I talked to the fly shop up there and they cant release much water out because the Red River is overflowing. When it gets back to normal, they are probably going to open things up again
Posted By: Tony_Wornick

Re: Broken Bow lake, all ramps closed - 05/13/15 12:43 AM

If this is valid, it sucks..was headed there this weekend for a few days of fun fishing.
Can't fish the local lakes as they are all closed.
Posted By: largemouthokie

Re: Broken Bow lake, all ramps closed - 05/13/15 01:44 AM

Some people will put in at the narrows. Its to bad because the fish are biting. Trout guide told me he is doing very good and catching some big rainbows.

Re: Broken Bow lake, all ramps closed - 05/13/15 09:44 AM

Does anybody know if Pine Creek is closed, hard to find info on that lake?

Re: Broken Bow lake, all ramps closed - 05/13/15 12:10 PM

I would imagine Pine Creek is closed. It is 28 feet high. As for putting in at the narrows on Broken Bow, I was told yesterday that that is useless. Log jams up the river is so bad that you can't get through, that you could practically walk across the river on jammed up debris because there is no flow, just incoming.

Re: Broken Bow lake, all ramps closed - 05/13/15 03:27 PM

Had a friend put in at the narrows yesterday. He called me last night. they went to linson and holly creek. Caught 30 on a jig. Gary, you probably know the guy.
Posted By: RNF

Re: Broken Bow lake, all ramps closed - 05/13/15 03:30 PM

Pine Creek ramps are closed. I drove up Sunday evening to check and all gates were locked. You can still put in on old highway 3& 7 on the west side or a couple of the dirt roads on the west side about midway up the lake.
Posted By: mbass81

Re: Broken Bow lake, all ramps closed - 05/13/15 03:41 PM

I fish up there some and have been going to the lake for 30yrs but have not heard of the narrows. Where is it located? And Millwood is way up the river is way out of its banks. It may be awhile before they all get back to some normal.

Re: Broken Bow lake, all ramps closed - 05/13/15 03:43 PM

Originally Posted By: largemouthokie
Had a friend put in at the narrows yesterday. He called me last night. they went to linson and holly creek. Caught 30 on a jig. Gary, you probably know the guy.
Cool. You can hear all kinds of things.We caught them good Sunday, left when the bottom fell out.

Re: Broken Bow lake, all ramps closed - 05/13/15 03:48 PM

Narrows is located just before you get to Smithvile turn off. It is the long concrete bridge that crosses the river just off hyw 259. You cannot get that far up in a bass boat unless river is up.To put in at the narrows is more or less using the dirt road for a ramp, no good place to leave a vehicle. I may drive up Friday morning and see what it looks like at Turkey creek.
Posted By: BassinHawg

Re: Broken Bow lake, all ramps closed - 05/13/15 05:24 PM

Millwood in Arkansas is 7.25 ft high right now but it is expected to get 13 ft high.

Gates are opened and releasing 24750 cfs and it is still rising. Gates may have to close to keep the Red River from flooding even more.

Corp is locking the gates to parks and closing ramps already.

To add to all this there is more rain expected for the next 7 days.

Re: Broken Bow lake, all ramps closed - 05/13/15 09:08 PM

I just got a text saying Pine Creek started spilling so more is headed to Millwood.
Posted By: bcshineon

Re: Broken Bow lake, all ramps closed - 05/16/15 05:48 PM

Any updates on Broken Bow? I see they have opened some gates and releasing a rate of 6000 cfs. I'm thinking about heading that way Sunday and hope to fish Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. I'm 500 miles away.
Posted By: mbass81

Re: Broken Bow lake, all ramps closed - 05/16/15 10:36 PM

Lake is still 18ft high so not sure when the ramps will reopen

Re: Broken Bow lake, all ramps closed - 05/17/15 02:10 AM

Originally Posted By: bcshineon
Any updates on Broken Bow? I see they have opened some gates and releasing a rate of 6000 cfs. I'm thinking about heading that way Sunday and hope to fish Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. I'm 500 miles away.
The ramps won't open for at least a week or ten days if we don't get any more rain I would guess. You can get in up north at Holly Creek or Game reserve.
Posted By: jkg2003

Re: Broken Bow lake, all ramps closed - 06/10/15 03:13 PM

I know this is an old post, but is the lake open to boaters yet?

Thanks

Justin

Re: Broken Bow lake, all ramps closed - 06/10/15 04:55 PM

No. Looking like maybe Sunday it will be down enough for them to open 2 ramps. Still needs to drop a little over 3 feet to get to the point that they CAN. I can't say they will,,,

Re: Broken Bow lake, all ramps closed - 06/10/15 09:40 PM

Had a guide tell me today that it might open this weekend. Looking good. Should be 619 something tomorrow. Got our fingers crossed.
Posted By: rh47

Re: Broken Bow lake, all ramps closed - 06/11/15 05:46 PM

At what elevation will they stop the water release?

Re: Broken Bow lake, all ramps closed - 06/11/15 07:19 PM

Originally Posted By: rh47
At what elevation will they stop the water release?
I don't know, you can't predict what the corp will do. I would think they will keep spilling until it is back down to normal but that will depend on the weather.From all the spilling from all the surrounding lakes barring a flood, they will keep going another 18 feet worth. So at least another 18-20 days minimum.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum