Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Medina?

Posted By: Grant2

Lake Medina? - 05/11/15 05:16 PM

Anyone know if the lake is coming up. Last I saw this lake was in trouble hope they are getting the rain.
Posted By: NoWeighers

Re: Lake Medina? - 05/11/15 05:35 PM

4.5% Ain't caught squat.. Still hoping..
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Lake Medina? - 05/11/15 06:24 PM

It's almost full! I think it came up 4' a few weeks ago so if I remember correctly it's only down 85' now (give or take a few feet.)
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Lake Medina? - 05/11/15 06:26 PM

Most the the rains have been west or south of the watershed so no, the lake has received squat as mentioned above.

Medina have a very small and unique watershed. The valleys and hills above the lake is not very large. Kind of like a small funnel that starts up around the Tarpley area and the small Town of Medina where the rain has to fall in order to run off into the Medina river which fills the lake.
It can rain just a few miles either side or above that area and not a drop will end up in the river.
When a system camps out over that area it can put a very Large amount of water into that funnel and bring the lake up overnight.
I've seen it happen several times since the early 70's.
Posted By: banderapass1

Re: Lake Medina? - 05/11/15 06:38 PM

I see too many landowners on the Medina river placing large cement dams across the river in their river access.
Most people with land on the river think they own their part of the river too.
The land owner will tell you as long as there is a trickle of water going over their dam they are legal..
Go look at Deer Creek Camp. and other areas like that and you will see.Then they say they have permits to have the dams..We need a lot of water to fill up the underground water aquifers up first ,then the Medina lake will start gaining water back if San Antonio will stay out of it. 2cents

Re: Lake Medina? - 05/14/15 01:11 AM

Man sure hope this lake gets some rain.
Posted By: Debra Hengst

Re: Lake Medina? - 05/14/15 01:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Grant2
Man sure hope this lake gets some rain.

We are going to need "forty days and forty nights" to get her back up again and if that happens lots of fingerlings from TP&W.

Debra cool
Posted By: Catfish-hunter

Re: Lake Medina? - 05/20/15 03:47 AM

At 10% now. Anyone planning on trying to launch?
Posted By: dragonsdaddy

Re: Lake Medina? - 05/20/15 02:16 PM

up 20 feet in the last 5 weeks. http://medina.uslakes.info/Level.asp
Posted By: joel45acp

Re: Lake Medina? - 05/20/15 02:29 PM

Originally Posted By: catfish/crappie-hunter
At 10% now. Anyone planning on trying to launch?

Where would you launch from? I'm 20 mins from the lake and I've never fished it before. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: harley

Re: Lake Medina? - 05/20/15 03:21 PM

Has any one given Red's cove a look.Might be the only place to launch.Locals have you guys checked it out ??

Re: Lake Medina? - 05/20/15 04:15 PM

Yup,they are cleaning up around there and mowing. Betting some will try this weekend. As far as ramp,I bet it's back to 4x4 only. I'm planning on trying Sunday but we'll see. Hope to drive by and see some empty boat trailers before the trip. Please post if anyone goes.
Posted By: Rickmb

Re: Lake Medina? - 05/20/15 04:26 PM

I have heard there are not a lot of game fish left. It will be curious to see how if fishes when it comes up. It needs another 20 ft before I will try. The last time I fished there it was about 50 ft low. It's about 70ft low now.

Re: Lake Medina? - 05/20/15 06:10 PM

Kayak people been doing well. You'd have to think recruitment is null,never is good in that lake anyway. But surely with the bait balled up,there are some nice ones left.

Re: Lake Medina? - 05/24/15 04:17 AM

Won't be 68' low for long. Got some nice rain in the right spots fast no hard. Cross your fingers! Could see 25% in a few days
Posted By: T54

Re: Lake Medina? - 05/24/15 07:37 AM

It's coming up about 2.5 feet an hour right now

Re: Lake Medina? - 05/24/15 10:25 AM

up over 13 feet today, already. it has a chance to come up several fathoms more today. lots of water fell in its watershed.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Lake Medina? - 05/24/15 12:46 PM

Now at 40' low!
Posted By: jvela

Re: Lake Medina? - 05/24/15 01:15 PM

Based on the Texas Water Data webpage, Medina is up 34.66 ft from a year ago. That's awesome! Although it will definitely be a while before fishing gets good again.

Re: Lake Medina? - 05/24/15 01:33 PM

almost 1/2 of that is today as it is up over 16 feet since midnight. expect the rise to continue for today at least. can a lake rise 90 feet in 3 weeks? we'll see soon enough.

Re: Lake Medina? - 05/24/15 01:34 PM

http://medina.uslakes.info/Level.asp
Posted By: fishonmyline

Re: Lake Medina? - 05/24/15 01:37 PM

Medina River still above flood stage and discharging 20600 cfs

Re: Lake Medina? - 05/24/15 01:45 PM

Rain in the right spot for several hours can bring that lake up overnight!
I've seen it happen several of times in the last 50 years.
In that time it's not been 90 feet low, but I remember the stories of back in the fifties when it was almost dry and how it came up fast.
A tropical storm can cause those storms to form and be stationary over the hill country for hours and dump feet of rain. That is what usually does it, and these storms are smaller and more widespread.

Re: Lake Medina? - 05/24/15 01:51 PM

Glad to see this lake getting the rain they needed it bad.

Re: Lake Medina? - 05/24/15 02:00 PM

The Medina river at Bandera reached a whopping 24.74 feet above flood stage but now has leveled out at 19.1 feet above flood stage this morning.
40 feet is a lot to overcome, but Medina may start looking like a lake again in the next few days. banana banana banana
Posted By: jvela

Re: Lake Medina? - 05/24/15 02:04 PM

Wowaweewa! cyclop
Posted By: Razorback

Re: Lake Medina? - 05/24/15 03:47 PM

Medina has come up 28 feet since last night and is rising at a rate of 10 inches per hour. If it kept up that pace it would rise another 20 feet by tomorrow morning.
Posted By: southtexascracker

Re: Lake Medina? - 05/24/15 04:07 PM

That is unreal. Seems like it's coming up super quick for only a 20k CFS inflow. Is that just bc it's narrow and deep vs spread out?

Re: Lake Medina? - 05/24/15 04:15 PM

Meanwhile Choke Canyon has come up only two inches in the last three days. That seems crazy. Hasn't more than two inches of rain fallen directly on top of the lake?

Re: Lake Medina? - 05/24/15 04:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Razorback
Meanwhile Choke Canyon has come up only two inches in the last three days. That seems crazy. Hasn't more than two inches of rain fallen directly on top of the lake?

That water is coming. It will take awhile, but it's on it's way.
Posted By: MLTX

Re: Lake Medina? - 05/24/15 04:27 PM

We got a ton of rain last night and she is coming up pretty quickly we have water in Habys and Elm this morning

Re: Lake Medina? - 05/24/15 05:20 PM

Choke has actually fallen one inch since 4 a.m. They have to be releasing water out of the lake. There's no other way to explain what is happening with its level.

Re: Lake Medina? - 05/24/15 05:48 PM

Hope she fills up!!

Re: Lake Medina? - 05/24/15 06:09 PM

Choke has actually fallen one inch since 4 a.m. They have to be releasing water out of the lake. There's no other way to explain what is happening with its level.

It's possible that it's begun to spill out into those flats and then the lower depressions are starting to fill in, so yes I can see where the level falling a few inches can happen.

Re: Lake Medina? - 05/24/15 06:28 PM

Originally Posted By: southtexascracker

That water is coming. It will take awhile, but it's on it's way.

Local rainfall usually doesn't help Choke to a large degree! A lot of local flooding will end up in the Atascosa, or Nueces which end up going into an already full Lake Corpus Christi, and then to the bays. It has to rain miles and miles upstream in the Hills at the headwaters of the Frio and other creeks to really effect Choke.

Re: Lake Medina? - 05/24/15 06:44 PM

There are flood warnings in effect for both the Frio River and San Miguel Creek. The flood on the Frio was described last night as so severe as to be life threatening. The NWS specifically mentioned that the San Miguel flood near Tilden will inundate roads, bridges, and oil rigs above Choke Canyon.

All of South Texas got hammered by torrential, in some cases historic, rainfall yesterday and last night. And, this is the third flood above and around Choke in the last week or so. Something has been going on to keep the lake from rising.

Re: Lake Medina? - 05/24/15 07:04 PM

Razorback, the water is still miles and miles upstream. It's not at the lake yet.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum