Texas Fishing Forum

Blackbird pattern.

Posted By: Fishspanker

Blackbird pattern. - 05/11/15 01:16 AM

Going to be a run on blackbird baits tomorrow ........lol.

How crazy is that? Watched how Martens was fishing it. Sometimes the Tules were over head high.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Blackbird pattern. - 05/11/15 01:40 AM

Some people think he is crazy, I think he is a bright sum b!tch!!
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Blackbird pattern. - 05/11/15 01:43 AM

its a frog thing...

Re: Blackbird pattern. - 05/11/15 01:47 AM

Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Blackbird pattern. - 05/11/15 02:27 AM

I have been riding with the pros for 6 years now in the TTBC. Aaron was by far the most interesting guy I have rode with in terms of what he is thinking and doing. He pays crazy attention to what he is doing, why he is doing it and his equipment. There is a reason he is consistently in the upper echelon. He is just that good.

Others I have rode with were no slouches. Evers, Dudley, Thrift, Ike, Tak, Klein, Rose, Strader, R Lane

Aaron was the most interesting.
Posted By: crankn101

Re: Blackbird pattern. - 05/11/15 03:12 AM

You guys have never heard of this or seen it?

Its common in the Neb and Kansas area, one of my Favorite spots here in Colo is a blackbird nesting area.

Re: Blackbird pattern. - 05/11/15 03:15 AM

ive seen it.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Blackbird pattern. - 05/11/15 04:25 AM

Lots of bigger topwaters come in a blackbird color--very productive.
Posted By: Rudy Lackey

Re: Blackbird pattern. - 05/11/15 09:09 AM

North lake,Marine creek many moons ago.
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Blackbird pattern. - 05/11/15 01:48 PM

google yellow headed black bird bait... they use them a bunch in cali
Posted By: gutcheck

Re: Blackbird pattern. - 05/11/15 02:04 PM

The poppin frog in that cali color does not work here though, it s only good out there in the west so don't waste your time... sarcastic
Posted By: TBassYates

Re: Blackbird pattern. - 05/11/15 06:34 PM

My dad always taught me to use a black buzzbait because of the red winged black birds that used to nest and live in the reeds at lakes. He caught his biggest fish ever with that bait in front of the reeds that used to be right in front of Vals Landing at Fork after he switched out my white buzzbait I had tied on. I still have that picture of him and that bass and you can bet I have used black buzzbaits many times since that day. I have also heard of people talk about using them to match black dragon fly's on Sam Rayburn.
Posted By: MikeSouza

Re: Blackbird pattern. - 05/11/15 07:37 PM

We used to throw a black Snagg Proof frog around red-winged black bird nesting areas on the delta. Worked great and was a great way to catch big fish.
Posted By: FLIPPINaFX

Re: Blackbird pattern. - 05/11/15 09:42 PM

David what's your opinion on it? What's the tie? Birds or what?
Posted By: Phototex

Re: Blackbird pattern. - 05/12/15 03:53 PM

"Flippin-the-Bird" sells a Red Wing Blackbird model.
Posted By: Phototex

Re: Blackbird pattern. - 05/12/15 03:55 PM

"Flip In the Bird" sells a Red Wing Blackbird model:

Flip In The Bird http://www.flipinthebird.com/
Posted By: Steve Reed MFT

Re: Blackbird pattern. - 05/12/15 04:27 PM

The original yellow headed blackbird frog was created after an employee at our shop witnessed it first hand. He then got Snag Proof to make a full run of the color in their frogs. It has gone on to become the best selling color we've carried and a consistent producer at Clear Lake and the Delta - although most people believe red/black at the Delta is a more accurate representation of the bird population there.

Re: Blackbird pattern. - 05/12/15 05:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Flippincat
David what's your opinion on it? What's the tie? Birds or what?

me?
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Blackbird pattern. - 05/12/15 06:10 PM

I've got a black Jitterbug that I've had for years. I painted some red spots on the sides.

Looks like a baby black bird splashing around.

works like a Turk.
Posted By: kellisag

Re: Blackbird pattern. - 05/12/15 06:20 PM

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Flipin_The_Bird_Topwater_Bait/descpage-FTBTB.html

Gotta love the consumer impulse buying! All but one color on backorder.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Blackbird pattern. - 05/13/15 01:28 PM

This is my Black Buzz Bird that I throw around the reeds. I build the skirt which goes in front of the regular skirt out of the Stanley Pro Trailer and fill the rattle holes with skirt material to make the wings. It can be used on the black bladed spinner bait and jigs.

Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Blackbird pattern. - 05/13/15 01:46 PM

I rob a nest and use live hatchlings for bait! bolt

Ha! Just kidding.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Blackbird pattern. - 05/13/15 02:11 PM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
I rob a nest and use live hatchlings for bait! bolt

Ha! Just kidding.

Nothing like the real thing. Ha..
Posted By: Jim Deeds

Re: Blackbird pattern. - 05/13/15 03:22 PM

I used to use this, but found the squirrel pattern to be so much more effective.

I discovered this pattern by accident one day a few years ago. Up in the end of our lake, it's really swampy. Lots of shallow water, vegetation, cypress trees.... a lot like Caddo.

Anyway, one evening I was fishing up in that area by myself and it was real quiet. It was almost dark when I noticed a laydown tree that was extending out from the bank into the creek channel. I then noticed an acorn sitting on the end of the tree out in the creek. While I watched, a fox squirrel ran down the tree and began to eat the acorn. Suddenly, there was a huge swirl and a big bass jumped out the water, grabbed the squirrel and disappeared!

Well, things quieted back down and it got slick as glass again. Suddenly, the bass came back up out of the water and placed the acorn back onto the tree.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum