Texas Fishing Forum

Bye Bye Grass on Ray Roberts

Posted By: txsuperman

Bye Bye Grass on Ray Roberts - 05/08/15 10:00 PM

All this rain coming this fast. The grass doesn't stand a chance. And it was coming in good. Even found hydrilla.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Bye Bye Grass on Ray Roberts - 05/09/15 01:31 AM

That stinks but the water is more important than the grass.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Bye Bye Grass on Ray Roberts - 05/09/15 01:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Happykamper
Posted By: fishnfireman

Re: Bye Bye Grass on Ray Roberts - 05/09/15 01:50 AM

You might be surprised how quick it comes back..
Posted By: 361V

Re: Bye Bye Grass on Ray Roberts - 05/09/15 01:58 AM

They were about start mowing the grass. I'll take the water. Bet the grass is back this summer.
Posted By: daman

Re: Bye Bye Grass on Ray Roberts - 05/09/15 01:58 AM

Ill take the rain and lakes filling up...sure there will be someone along soon to gripe about this soon
Posted By: jcarring99

Re: Bye Bye Grass on Ray Roberts - 05/09/15 02:07 AM

I just want gripe about something. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Bye Bye Grass on Ray Roberts - 05/09/15 04:58 AM

My prediction (no alcohol involved angel2): Grass will be thick in the backs of creeks by Memorial Day, mark your calendars.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Bye Bye Grass on Ray Roberts - 05/09/15 05:04 AM

calendar marked
Posted By: txsuperman

Re: Bye Bye Grass on Ray Roberts - 05/09/15 04:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank
calendar marked

I'll be looking too. lol
Posted By: fish4bass

Re: Bye Bye Grass on Ray Roberts - 05/09/15 04:13 PM

It won't matter. It's going to close for the summer like it did in '07. Flooded with no boat access before this is over.
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: Bye Bye Grass on Ray Roberts - 05/09/15 06:28 PM

Yep it will come back faster than you think....All the high and dry spots here on Cooper near the natural shore at pool stage start to pop hydrilla pretty quick. If you know of some spots on Ray Bob that held hydrilla when it was full those spots will have it in a month or 2 or 3.........
Posted By: Shawn Mead

Re: Bye Bye Grass on Ray Roberts - 05/10/15 12:08 AM

As clear as that lake has been, the hydrilla will flourish
Posted By: Skeeter man ZX225

Re: Bye Bye Grass on Ray Roberts - 05/10/15 12:31 AM

it will still be there just now in deeper water, I also heard that all the ramps are closed as of today, the lake is almost 5 feet high.
Posted By: Hammbone

Re: Bye Bye Grass on Ray Roberts - 05/10/15 12:33 AM

Just left Sanger ramp and it is open.
Posted By: steve Mbass

Re: Bye Bye Grass on Ray Roberts - 05/10/15 01:44 AM

Jorden good for maybe another two or three feet, I would think
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Bye Bye Grass on Ray Roberts - 05/10/15 06:10 AM

We found hydrilla growing in several different areas today. I think the grass will come back
Posted By: Allison1

Re: Bye Bye Grass on Ray Roberts - 05/10/15 03:18 PM

Pull it up with crankbaits. It will drift towards shallow water and poof, fish haven.
Posted By: adam_p

Re: Bye Bye Grass on Ray Roberts - 05/10/15 04:05 PM

Originally Posted By: steve Mbass
Jorden good for maybe another two or three feet, I would think

I went and looked at it at about 10pm last night. Looks like about a foot to me.
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Bye Bye Grass on Ray Roberts - 05/10/15 06:48 PM

The lake was rising fast yesterday and got pounded by heavy rain for 2 hours in the morning. Another few feet up and the water will be across the road going in to Jordan Park
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Bye Bye Grass on Ray Roberts - 05/10/15 07:24 PM

I bet it will be over that tonight, water is poring in from every creek in Gainesville, and lake kiowa still over the spillway. They were closing old denton Rd when I drove through 20 minutes ago water over the road in 5-6 places.

Re: Bye Bye Grass on Ray Roberts - 05/10/15 10:36 PM

They have the gates open now.

Re: Bye Bye Grass on Ray Roberts - 05/11/15 03:07 AM

Ray Roberts (TX) 638.29 632.50 5.79 5/10/2015 8:15:00 PM 5.79 feet high as of 8PM

Re: Bye Bye Grass on Ray Roberts - 05/11/15 04:00 AM

I am shocked that is only as high as it is. We got 6 inches of rain today and I live just north of the lake. We got 5 inches Thu night and 3 inches yesterday.
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Bye Bye Grass on Ray Roberts - 05/11/15 05:05 AM

Still a lot of run off headed into the lake, it won't crest for at least 36 hours if we don't get more rain.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Bye Bye Grass on Ray Roberts - 05/11/15 12:18 PM

It could catch a few feet more after all the runoff reaches the lake. As stated, more rain forecast as well. Great time to build a pipeline from the trinity to the colorado lol

Re: Bye Bye Grass on Ray Roberts - 05/11/15 01:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Happykamper
I retract this statement.

Re: Bye Bye Grass on Ray Roberts - 05/11/15 04:29 PM

Lake is closed
Posted By: buda13

Re: Bye Bye Grass on Ray Roberts - 05/11/15 05:50 PM

Originally Posted By: fish4bass
Lake is closed

Question is for how long... Ray Bob cant release much water until Lewisville can handle it. Correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe Lewisville and Grapevine releases both go to the same watershed down stream, which is also already flooded. Regardless the lake is still on the rise with more rain expected for the next 10+ days, and all COE ramps are closed at the current level. As we all know from a few years ago, it takes several days after the water recedes for the grade under the parking lots and ramps to dry out enough to be reopened. According to the nice folks at the Marina the regular ramp is closed, they do have a functional ramp but its for private slip owners only and they told me it was not open for negotiation. LOL. It could be a month before all ramps are reopened and back to normal.

Re: Bye Bye Grass on Ray Roberts - 05/12/15 12:01 AM

Originally Posted By: buda13
Lake is closed

Question is for how long... Ray Bob cant release much water until Lewisville can handle it. Correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe Lewisville and Grapevine releases both go to the same watershed down stream, which is also already flooded. Regardless the lake is still on the rise with more rain expected for the next 10+ days, and all COE ramps are closed at the current level. As we all know from a few years ago, it takes several days after the water recedes for the grade under the parking lots and ramps to dry out enough to be reopened. According to the nice folks at the Marina the regular ramp is closed, they do have a functional ramp but its for private slip owners only and they told me it was not open for negotiation. LOL. It could be a month before all ramps are reopened and back to normal.

It was closed for about 45 days last time it did this in '07.

Re: Bye Bye Grass on Ray Roberts - 05/12/15 03:34 AM

If you live south of the lake.... you may have been notified to be ready to evacuate. Looks like serious rain on the way and they are letting the water go. Zebras on the loose.

Re: Bye Bye Grass on Ray Roberts - 05/12/15 11:29 AM

They are opening the gates on Roberts today, regardless of downstream water levels, the lake is a 7.01 feet high and they can no longer keep holding the water. With more rain on the way and Wednesday is a 100 percent chance with accumulations expected to reach up to 4+ inches it could be a long time before we get to use the lake again. Question is how much can Lewisville hold back, with the dam being in serious condition that was announced a few years back, never heard if they ever fixed what they thought was wrong with the dam??

Re: Bye Bye Grass on Ray Roberts - 05/12/15 11:33 AM

No fishing pressure during post spawn has to be a good thing for the fish.
Posted By: B-rader

Re: Bye Bye Grass on Ray Roberts - 05/12/15 12:27 PM

Posted By: AgSellers04

Re: Bye Bye Grass on Ray Roberts - 05/12/15 12:32 PM

This is going to get worse before it gets better.

Re: Bye Bye Grass on Ray Roberts - 05/12/15 12:56 PM

Lots of folks were preaching to never complain about the rain, I am going to go against the grain here and complain, ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: boatfisher

Re: Bye Bye Grass on Ray Roberts - 05/12/15 01:59 PM

I just spoke to the Lake Ray Roberts office and they said that all ramps are closed.
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: Bye Bye Grass on Ray Roberts - 05/12/15 02:35 PM

Man I am going to have a great time fishing the lake by myself in my kayak after this all settles down!

On a more serious note, I am praying for the people who live down stream today. We have many friends who live in that area south of the dam close to the creeks and the Greenbelt trail. I hope they and their property will all be OK after this is all over with!!
Posted By: 04champ

Re: Bye Bye Grass on Ray Roberts - 05/12/15 02:39 PM

Elm Fork shooting range was under water on Friday. If Roberts and Lewisville and Grapevine all have to dump water simultaneously, it might be washed away...
Posted By: TXBeerHunter

Re: Bye Bye Grass on Ray Roberts - 05/12/15 02:59 PM

Lake is closed

Ray Roberts empties to Lewisville which empties to the Trinity, Grapevine empties to the Trinity (as do Lavon and Ray Hubbard), all that goes to Richland Chambers I believe, then Livingston.

Re: Bye Bye Grass on Ray Roberts - 05/12/15 03:10 PM

Originally Posted By: TXBeerHunter
Lake is closed

Ray Roberts empties to Lewisville which empties to the Trinity, Grapevine empties to the Trinity (as do Lavon and Ray Hubbard), all that goes to Richland Chambers I believe, then Livingston.

Lewisville and Grapevine empty into the Elm Fork which flows through Farmers Branch, Irving, and Dallas. The East Fork (out of Hubbard) meets the Elm Fork south of Dallas and the next lake on the Trinity is Livingston. There aren't any major population centers on the Trinity between Dallas and Livingston that I'm aware of. So the flood danger would be in the Coppell, Carrollton, Farmers Branch, Dallas areas.

Re: Bye Bye Grass on Ray Roberts - 05/12/15 03:20 PM

Livingston has it wide open straight to the gulf. The Trinity is definitely flowing!
Posted By: dragonsdaddy

Re: Bye Bye Grass on Ray Roberts - 05/12/15 03:23 PM

Originally Posted By: TXBeerHunter
Lake is closed

rc is not fed directly by the trinity. it can have water pumped in, but the trinity is east of and downstream from the dam. same for cedar creek, as to the access to the trinity.
Posted By: slim 285

Re: Bye Bye Grass on Ray Roberts - 05/12/15 03:30 PM

The Trinity does not feed Richland Chambers. Richland Chambers emptys in to the Trinity
Posted By: Razorback

Re: Bye Bye Grass on Ray Roberts - 05/12/15 03:31 PM

Livingston is already full, so they're going to have to release as much water as possible in anticipation of what is coming from upstream. Let's hope that emergency advisory is wrong about the 10-12 inches of rain on the way.

By the way, I know it has been pointed out that Richland Chambers is not directly fed by the Trinity, but RC is now above normal and still rising from the torrential rain they had in that area a couple of nights ago.
Posted By: Chuck N. Wind

Re: Bye Bye Grass on Ray Roberts - 05/12/15 04:57 PM

Did they ever fix the spillway height on Ray Roberts, or will highway 377 still flood first?
Posted By: Razorback

Re: Bye Bye Grass on Ray Roberts - 05/12/15 07:00 PM

It looks like they have at least temporarily stabilized the water level on Ray Roberts. Now we have to wonder if they can lower it any before the next round of heavy rain moves in.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/tx/nwis/uv/?site_no=08051100&PARAmeter_cd=00062,72020,00054
Posted By: David Rush

Re: Bye Bye Grass on Ray Roberts - 05/12/15 07:43 PM

Our property borders the Trinty in Carrollton. We flooded in '80 and '89. Hope it doesn't get that bad again! That was a mess.
Posted By: redsoxnation

Re: Bye Bye Grass on Ray Roberts - 05/13/15 06:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Bass Buster1
Man I am going to have a great time fishing the lake by myself in my kayak after this all settles down!

Can you still launch a yak if the ramps are closed? If so, it's gonna be on.... banana
Posted By: Chuck N. Wind

Re: Bye Bye Grass on Ray Roberts - 05/13/15 06:38 PM

Originally Posted By: redsoxnation
Originally Posted By: Bass Buster1

Can you still launch a yak if the ramps are closed? If so, it's gonna be on.... banana

Not only are the ramps closed, all of the parks themselves are completely closed. No public access until after May 28th at the earliest. I have not checked with the Marina.

Re: Bye Bye Grass on Ray Roberts - 05/13/15 06:57 PM

there's places you can launch a kayak that aren't in parks
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum