Texas Fishing Forum

Which line for C-Rigs

Posted By: Okhissa2

Which line for C-Rigs - 05/08/15 09:28 PM

What is everyone's choice of line and leaders on there C-Rigs. I have never really fished it and I am setting up a rod just for C-Rigging and was wondering what most people used as there main line Braid or Floura ?
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Which line for C-Rigs - 05/08/15 09:38 PM

It's over complicated, but my preference is main line braid improved alberto knot to 20ft of fluoro. Weight(s) two beads. Swivel. Then 2ft of mean green copoly to hook. I like the low stretch and sensitivity of braid as my main line, the abrasion resistance and low visibility of fluoro as a long leader and the buoyancy of Mean Green as my shorter leader to hook.
Posted By: RedRaider3933

Re: Which line for C-Rigs - 05/08/15 09:43 PM

20 fluoro main, 15 fluoro leader. Length depends on depth. As short as 12 inches all the way up to 4+ feet.
Posted By: Phoenix_Ed

Re: Which line for C-Rigs - 05/08/15 09:44 PM

I make it simple, cause I'm not too smart, 40lb Power Pro, 1 oz Tungsten weight, bead, small swivel, 15 lb Big Game leader. I don't loose too many weights with this setup, I keep a few leaders tied up, and it catches fish.

Oh and I drive a Phoenix!
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: Which line for C-Rigs - 05/08/15 11:40 PM

Braid to flouro Alberto knot
Posted By: Okhissa2

Re: Which line for C-Rigs - 05/08/15 11:51 PM

Thanks guys for the info and tips.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Which line for C-Rigs - 05/09/15 12:46 AM

That's my favorite way to fish. I mainly use braid lately. I am too lazy to dig around for another spool for leaders so I just stick with braid the entire way. I can always straighten out the hook if it gets hung bass enough but it rarely does.

I have had good success on big game line too. I am not all that particular and will use what ever line happens to be on the reel that I pick up.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Which line for C-Rigs - 05/09/15 12:48 AM

it all depends on the application. ive done as light as 8# to 80lb. braid.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Which line for C-Rigs - 05/09/15 02:58 PM

65# braid with a 15# fluro leader.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Which line for C-Rigs - 05/09/15 03:12 PM

Originally Posted By: E5Zero
I make it simple, cause I'm not too smart, 40lb Power Pro, 1 oz Tungsten weight, bead, small swivel, 15 lb Big Game leader. I don't loose too many weights with this setup, I keep a few leaders tied up, and it catches fish.

Oh and I drive a Phoenix!
Done.
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Which line for C-Rigs - 05/09/15 03:36 PM

Braid of your choice, i like 50# power pro to swivel with 17-20 flouro or co-poly leader. The weight clacker and bead go above the swivel on the braid. I like about a 2 foot leader.

You get tangled way less on the cast with a leader...it doesn't do the twisty thing near as much
Posted By: Anchorman

Re: Which line for C-Rigs - 05/09/15 03:36 PM

This is the only rig I used braid on. The leader will be determined by the conditions, water clarity, size of bait, how much trash is on the bottom. I liked to downsize when I could. If its windy I would go with the heavier 1 oz weight but I rarely used one that heavy. I usually started light and worked my way up. You just need it heavy enough to keep in touch with your rod at all times....you don't want slack. Same for the leader. If I could get away with I would use 12lb. But if its a larger bait or in heavy cover 17 mean green gets the nod.

I had a technique I figured out on my own that worked great for me. I would look at how the current (wind) was behaving. And then look for primary and secondary points, grass lines, flats near creek channels (drift between them), where the wind would allow me to drift through the target area or across the point with no or little use of my trolling motor. I would let out a lot of line and drift pulling Carolina rigs. Caught a lot of big bass this way. I primarily used this technique to pull them out of deeper water. It always amazed me how many fish live way off shore in deeper water.

I write this all in past tense because I don't bass fish much anymore. I used to fish 2-3 days a week. But fatherly duties changed that and we sold our lake house! UGH.

I hope this helps you catch some nice ones. Good luck.
Posted By: redskeeter190

Re: Which line for C-Rigs - 05/09/15 11:05 PM

30lb braid.....15lb Big Game...
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Which line for C-Rigs - 05/09/15 11:59 PM

20# Big Game on main and leader. Caught tons of fish over the years on it. Of course it's primarily on that cesspool Conroe where visibility is limited.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Which line for C-Rigs - 05/10/15 01:05 AM

My C-rig is 20 lb. Invizx all the way to the hook. I start with a glass bead, steel clacker, glass bead, 1 oz. egg sinker plus 2 Carolina keepers and a 18"-24" leader. This rig never moves down with 2 Carolina keepers and I don't tie numerous knots either, plus the Carolina Keepers allow me to adjust the length of the leader without cutting the leader and re-tying, what a pain. And, I usually only lose the hook and keep everything else if I break off. I'll never go back to the different line plus a leader, multiple knot scenario.
Posted By: XPrezident

Re: Which line for C-Rigs - 05/10/15 02:27 AM

I've used the same setup since I learned how to use it. 7.1:1 reel 7'10" rod 20lb flouro main 3/4-1 1/4 oz weight two plastic beads, number 2 Spro swivel 12lb flouro leader. I've tried different setups but keep going back to original. Everyone's different so try different setups.
Posted By: Rudy Lackey

Re: Which line for C-Rigs - 05/10/15 01:47 PM

65# Power Pro 20# Big Game
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Which line for C-Rigs - 05/10/15 02:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank
My C-rig is 20 lb. Invizx all the way to the hook. I start with a glass bead, steel clacker, glass bead, 1 oz. egg sinker plus 2 Carolina keepers and a 18"-24" leader. This rig never moves down with 2 Carolina keepers and I don't tie numerous knots either, plus the Carolina Keepers allow me to adjust the length of the leader without cutting the leader and re-tying, what a pain. And, I usually only lose the hook and keep everything else if I break off. I'll never go back to the different line plus a leader, multiple knot scenario.

I'm gonna try this setup. I used the last one of my Speedo Beads last summer and have not been happy with the carolina keepers due to them sliding down the line with a 1 oz weight. I shoulda tried two. Duh! hammer
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Which line for C-Rigs - 05/11/15 12:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.
Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank

I'm gonna try this setup. I used the last one of my Speedo Beads last summer and have not been happy with the carolina keepers due to them sliding down the line with a 1 oz weight. I shoulda tried two. Duh! hammer

I think you'll like it Ken, good luck
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum