Texas Fishing Forum

Ray Roberts Ramp Closures!!

Posted By: Chris G

Ray Roberts Ramp Closures!! - 05/08/15 03:29 PM

Dannie Golden just called me and asked me to post this. He got a call from Chris True from TPWD. He was on the water so asked me to post.

As of right now, they have CLOSED both the Buck Creek and Sanger Ramps and want everyone using either Isle Du Bois (State Park) or Johnson. He also said there was a very good chance all ramps could be closed as early as tomorrow and to look for updates.
Posted By: 04champ

Re: Ray Roberts Ramp Closures!! - 05/08/15 03:33 PM

Really? The lake is only 2 feet high. It's still going up but most of those ramps should be good for several more feet
Posted By: dandeeks

Re: Ray Roberts Ramp Closures!! - 05/08/15 03:35 PM

good to know... thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Paul - Lake Fork

Re: Ray Roberts Ramp Closures!! - 05/08/15 03:36 PM

http://rayroberts.uslakes.info/Level.asp

Re: Ray Roberts Ramp Closures!! - 05/08/15 03:40 PM

it's almost 3 feet high now and is rising at a VERY fast rate. Its come up something like 7-8" in last 2 hours if I read it right this morning.
Posted By: Fishn4Deer(PatrickSharp)

Re: Ray Roberts Ramp Closures!! - 05/08/15 03:46 PM

Long drive to show up to the ramps being closed soap
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Ray Roberts Ramp Closures!! - 05/08/15 03:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishn4Deer(PatrickSharp)
Long drive to show up to the ramps being closed soap

Many more ramps on that lake. Lake has been a lot higher, there will still be open ramps.
Posted By: ToadSnatcher14

Re: Ray Roberts Ramp Closures!! - 05/08/15 03:56 PM

I've put in when it was 7' high if I remember right.

Re: Ray Roberts Ramp Closures!! - 05/08/15 03:59 PM

I've also put in at much higher levels. I'm just passing on info I was asked to post. Don't shoot the messenger who was just trying to help....better yet, everyone complain about it and head out to Sanger's ramp and try to launch then come back and complain more because they closed it.

my buddy just told me they might close all ramps at 4 foot over pool? I thought when it came up from the big drought in the early 2000s it was way higher than that and the ramps were open

Originally Posted By: Chris G
I've also put in at much higher levels. I'm just passing on info I was asked to post. Don't shoot the messenger who was just trying to help....better yet, everyone complain about it and head out to Sanger's ramp and try to launch then come back and complain more because they closed it.

this sounds like the best solution

Do you know if they will make the marina close their ramps? They should be able to handle plenty of water as well

Re: Ray Roberts Ramp Closures!! - 05/08/15 04:12 PM

Originally Posted By: 04champ

I was being sarcastic. TPWD is only going to close ramps if they feel they could become unsafe to use for whatever reason. I am by no means suggesting people complain...that just tends to be what a % of the people on here do all the time. Again, don't shoot the messenger. They have closed 2 ramps and will most likely close more. As RedRanger said, there are other ramps out there that TPWD doesn't own. If I recall last time we flooded, Sanger Marina was one of the only ramps open and was charging something like $20 to launch.

Re: Ray Roberts Ramp Closures!! - 05/08/15 04:16 PM

Originally Posted By: 04champ

I was being sarcastic. TPWD is only going to close ramps if they feel they could become unsafe to use for whatever reason. I am by no means suggesting people complain...that just tends to be what a % of the people on here do all the time. Again, don't shoot the messenger. They have closed 2 ramps and will most likely close more. As RedRanger said, there are other ramps out there that TPWD doesn't own. If I recall last time we flooded, Sanger Marina was one of the only ramps open and was charging something like $20 to launch.

so was I! cheers

Hopefully the water will level off soon and we won't have to worry about it but that seems unlikely.

With Lewisville still up it could take them a while to pull Roberts down.
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Ray Roberts Ramp Closures!! - 05/08/15 04:23 PM

RHBC is keeping an eye on this. Nothing said about Jordan yet? We may be postponing or trying a late change of location. We will be in touch with our members!
Posted By: Drop-Shot

Re: Ray Roberts Ramp Closures!! - 05/08/15 05:21 PM

One extreme to the other.... but this one is a better problem to have.
Posted By: adam_p

Re: Ray Roberts Ramp Closures!! - 05/08/15 05:37 PM

I guess the milfoil will all die off again

Re: Ray Roberts Ramp Closures!! - 05/08/15 05:40 PM

It was starting to grow really well in the 10-12 ft range too
Posted By: ToadSnatcher14

Re: Ray Roberts Ramp Closures!! - 05/08/15 05:42 PM

Posted By: Hossman

Re: Ray Roberts Ramp Closures!! - 05/08/15 05:42 PM

Not really surprised at Buck Creek being closed what with that BNSF freight train derailing in Spring Creek just north of Buck. Probably don't want a bunch of lookies. Kinda surprised at the other ramps though.
Posted By: eagle 2

Re: Ray Roberts Ramp Closures!! - 05/08/15 05:53 PM

Originally Posted By: ToadSnatcher14

Cool stuff right there!

Re: Ray Roberts Ramp Closures!! - 05/08/15 07:14 PM

I just talked to TPWD at Isle DuBois. They are not anticipating any other ramp closures at this time although they will keep an eye on it depending on weather. I think the Buck and Sanger closures have more to do with the train derailment than rising water
Posted By: Fishn4Deer(PatrickSharp)

Re: Ray Roberts Ramp Closures!! - 05/08/15 07:16 PM

fish see yall bright and early!
Posted By: steve Mbass

Re: Ray Roberts Ramp Closures!! - 05/08/15 07:29 PM

Thank you Chris for posting.
Posted By: steve Mbass

Re: Ray Roberts Ramp Closures!! - 05/08/15 07:49 PM

So is Isle DuBois safe to put in at?
Posted By: RW Fred

Re: Ray Roberts Ramp Closures!! - 05/08/15 08:18 PM

I'm skipping this one. Staying in close and will fish Hubbard tomorrow. You guys have a great time.
Posted By: adam_p

The train derailment is about as far from Buck creek ramp as possible and still effect the lake. It has nothing to do with Buck being closed and id bet nothing to do with Sanger being closed either. Both of those were the first ramps to close when the lake got high last time.
Posted By: RW Fred

And be safe.
Posted By: Rudy Lackey

Re: Ray Roberts Ramp Closures!! - 05/08/15 08:25 PM

Dannie Golden just called me and asked me to post this. He got a call from Chris True from TPWD. He was on the water so asked me to post.

As of right now, they have CLOSED both the Buck Creek and Sanger Ramps and want everyone using either Isle Du Bois (State Park) or Johnson. He also said there was a very good chance all ramps could be closed as early as tomorrow and to look for updates.

Thank you Chris G !

Re: Ray Roberts Ramp Closures!! - 05/08/15 08:37 PM

RHBC will fish as scheduled. As per Parks and Wildlife the ramps will stay open at this time.
Posted By: RangerBass21

Re: Ray Roberts Ramp Closures!! - 05/08/15 08:49 PM

Figures, lake finally gets full and can't fish it because they didn't move the docks up.
Posted By: bigal12

Re: Ray Roberts Ramp Closures!! - 05/08/15 09:13 PM

Sanger Ramp is good to go at the moment. The dock has been pulled up.
Posted By: Basshead21

Re: Ray Roberts Ramp Closures!! - 05/08/15 09:17 PM

I was just at the marina. It was open.
Posted By: txsuperman

Re: Ray Roberts Ramp Closures!! - 05/08/15 09:56 PM

Good bye grass on Ray Roberts. All this rain this fast. The grass doesn't stand a chance
Posted By: get-bit

Re: Ray Roberts Ramp Closures!! - 05/08/15 10:07 PM

Thanks Chris for posting. Chris with the park told me they close them when the water gets onto the pavement, cause it will cause damage when driven on while under water. Sure some will disagree, just passing along what I was told. They did this before in 07 or 08 whenever it was. The lake wasn't all that muddy today, in most places. Did manage 7 bass, but had to work really hard for them.

Hoping it stays open!!

Re: Ray Roberts Ramp Closures!! - 05/08/15 10:24 PM

The RHBC will continue our year long tradition of hitting a lake at the worst possible time. roflmao Thanks for the report Danny. If you are coming out to fish tomorrow guys, just be safe.
Posted By: boatfisher

Re: Ray Roberts Ramp Closures!! - 05/08/15 10:31 PM

Ramp open at Pilot Point. Rangers raised the docks quickly this morning.
Posted By: lodell23

Re: Ray Roberts Ramp Closures!! - 05/08/15 11:00 PM

Here's the state park ramp
Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

Re: Ray Roberts Ramp Closures!! - 05/08/15 11:25 PM

Thanks Chris,Pond Creek ramp does not look very good.It will close soon, so don't drive down that road until you know it's open.
Posted By: CodyTuckerOutdoors

Re: Ray Roberts Ramp Closures!! - 05/08/15 11:55 PM

Just talked to the parks.

Jordan is open and will remain open.
Isle du Bois is open and will remain open.
Sanger access is open as well.

Buck creek, pecan creek, pond creek, and Johnson are all closed. This is from the state park office.

Re: Ray Roberts Ramp Closures!! - 05/08/15 11:58 PM

Jordan and isle du Bois look good. I don't know how much more it can handle though. The texas parks and wildlife are not the ones that make the call on when to let water out. That's the cores call.
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Ray Roberts Ramp Closures!! - 05/09/15 12:08 AM

Be safe put there running the lake guys lots of trash and trees floating.

This is what coming from kiowa still alot of water headed to ray roberts. Kiowa was 4ft high over night.

Re: Ray Roberts Ramp Closures!! - 05/09/15 12:34 AM

New update. Jordan and IDB are the only two ramps staying open. And they can't gaurantee they won't be closed by morning.!
Posted By: get-bit

Re: Ray Roberts Ramp Closures!! - 05/09/15 12:51 AM

There were many floaters today. Both on main lake and creeks.

Watch out for the snakes and fire ants too. Just thought this week there were lots of floating piles of ants. They were everywhere today. That and many spiders when you take your boat up thru the junk. I think I killed 7 spiders today Fun stuff. Things we shouldn't have to deal with in the boat smile
Posted By: ez_4_u00

Re: Ray Roberts Ramp Closures!! - 05/09/15 01:02 AM

From my understanding they won't open the gates until the concrete pilings are poured for the new bridge on lewisville. They are trying to lower lewisville to make that happen, opening the gates on roberts would just keep Lew at the level it's at now.
Posted By: TOMCAT21

Re: Ray Roberts Ramp Closures!! - 05/09/15 01:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Hossman
Not really surprised at Buck Creek being closed what with that BNSF freight train derailing in Spring Creek just north of Buck. Probably don't want a bunch of lookies. Kinda surprised at the other ramps though.

That is UP track going across Buck. BNSF is much further west and north.
Posted By: FSWITX

Re: Ray Roberts Ramp Closures!! - 05/09/15 03:17 AM

Well this could changes my plans for Sat. Thanks for the info. Guess I'll be check TFF before heading out.
Posted By: JoeFriday

Re: Ray Roberts Ramp Closures!! - 05/09/15 03:25 AM

Originally Posted By: get-bit
There were many floaters today. Both on main lake and creeks.

Watch out for the snakes and fire ants too. Just thought this week there were lots of floating piles of ants. They were everywhere today. That and many spiders when you take your boat up thru the junk. I think I killed 7 spiders today Fun stuff. Things we shouldn't have to deal with in the boat smile

I understand you know how to remove snakes from the boat and keep on fishing now. roflmao
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Ray Roberts Ramp Closures!! - 05/09/15 04:51 AM

Sanger was open tonight. The docks are above the top of the channel on the ramp. Only about a foot of ramp left before you get to the turn-around. The Gates were closed at pond creek. Water is getting close to filling up the overflow spillway creek bed (it looked like it crested the concrete dike, but isn't flowing back there yet). I have never been over there when it was 'full', so this looks cool to me. I was headed to Fork in the AM anyway, never been there at full pool either!
Posted By: happycampr

Re: Ray Roberts Ramp Closures!! - 05/09/15 05:50 AM

Too bad some of that water can't be piped out west to Hubbard Creek, Meredith... or south to Travis, Buchanan... low as some of them are I'm not sure they would mind the zebra mussels
Posted By: Rudy Lackey

Re: Ray Roberts Ramp Closures!! - 05/09/15 12:58 PM

I hit a floater in the bow of my boat. Popped out of my seat and pulled
kill switch.
Heads up !!

Re: Ray Roberts Ramp Closures!! - 05/09/15 04:53 PM

Floaters are random everywhere!! Be careful out here!
Posted By: lodell23

Re: Ray Roberts Ramp Closures!! - 05/09/15 06:34 PM

+4.12....how much longer till they're all closed?
Posted By: passinthru

Re: Ray Roberts Ramp Closures!! - 05/09/15 10:46 PM

Pecan Creek is closed, just drove out there an hour ago!
Posted By: Trickster

Re: Ray Roberts Ramp Closures!! - 05/09/15 11:11 PM

We were out there and got off the lake before the storm hit around 9:45. It rained and lightninged pretty good. Jordan was in good shape.

Re: Ray Roberts Ramp Closures!! - 05/10/15 06:08 AM

We got more heavy rain out there for 2+ hours today but Jordan was in good shape. On the way out we noticed how close the water is to the road. If we get more flooding rain, you may not be able to make it to the ramp! Fishing was VERY tough by the way.
Posted By: Skeeter man ZX225

Re: Ray Roberts Ramp Closures!! - 05/10/15 10:54 AM

Hey guys the lake levels have nothing to do with pouring concrete pylons for bridges. Lewisville is already in flood state too, ask the corps why the gates are not open. Probably has to do with flood control for the downstream areas. And "wow" what will this do for the BLT next weekend, there is more rain coming all next week too.
Posted By: ez_4_u00

Re: Ray Roberts Ramp Closures!! - 05/10/15 01:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Skeeter man ZX225
Hey guys the lake levels have nothing to do with pouring concrete pylons for bridges. Lewisville is already in flood state too, ask the corps why the gates are not open. Probably has to do with flood control for the downstream areas. And "wow" what will this do for the BLT next weekend, there is more rain coming all next week too.

I did ask the corps and this was the response I got via text.

Posted By: David Burton

Re: Ray Roberts Ramp Closures!! - 05/10/15 06:50 PM

1961 cfs is being released from Ray Roberts. Only 20 cfs from Lewisville! So, they aren't passing the water through. They are just making room for more flood waters in Ray Roberts!

Ray Roberts Lake
10 MAY 2015
Current Elevation Normal Elevation Currently Releasing
637.43 632.50 1961 cfs
Reservoir Control Section
Posted By: Basshead21

Re: Ray Roberts Ramp Closures!! - 05/10/15 10:48 PM

Marina ramp is closed.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum