Texas Fishing Forum

Heavy rain effect on spawn

Posted By: fishinIZ

Heavy rain effect on spawn - 05/08/15 12:19 AM

With Alan Henry coming up so fast with fish on the beds, I have 2 questions:

1- What is the likelihood of the nests being washed out and loosing this seasons offspring

2- If they are washed out, what effect can we expect to see if any the next couple years

Just some things I wonder about
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Heavy rain effect on spawn - 05/08/15 12:49 AM

Kinda depends how far along in the spawn a particular fish is. If its early i suspect they can readjust and still spawn
Posted By: Bass98

Re: Heavy rain effect on spawn - 05/08/15 02:03 AM

They don't all spawn at the same time. Some fish might have gotten washed out and some have already spawned. The flooded cover should really help the fry.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Heavy rain effect on spawn - 05/08/15 02:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Bass98
They don't all spawn at the same time. Some fish might have gotten washed out and some have already spawned. The flooded cover should really help the fry.
this. ^^^^

It also makes it harder for guys like me to sight em, well, because I can't see em! Hah.

Knowing where a few beds were right before the hard rain and wind, I went to them a day or two after. Water was HORRIBLE muddy. Still yanked em up. I say the water clarity doesn't effect the spawn in a negative way. In fact, with guys like me, and other bed predators, I guess it would have a few more positives.
Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: Heavy rain effect on spawn - 05/08/15 02:27 PM

If eggs were laid already. Good possibility of losing those. I seen it on Tawakoni twice before.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum