Texas Fishing Forum

Bass with cancer in PA

Posted By: Rog

Bass with cancer in PA - 05/07/15 01:30 AM

And we worry about ours with black spots......
http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/06/health/smallmouth-bass-cancerous-tumor-susquehanna-river/index.html
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Bass with cancer in PA - 05/07/15 01:46 AM

never seen one like that, and ive dealt with a lot of sick fish...
Posted By: cephusjoe

Re: Bass with cancer in PA - 05/07/15 02:08 AM

That's a smallmouth with a big lip! banana
Posted By: TanHner36

Re: Bass with cancer in PA - 05/07/15 02:18 AM

One of my home rivers. It's been going on for a while unfortunately. Pollution in the Lehigh, Delaware and Susquehanna has always been pretty high. I've caught quite a few deformed fish from all of them including Smallies. Pittsburgh and the Greater Lehigh Valley area are still recovering from a lot of pollution from the old steel industries in both towns. Both were unregulated due to the times and were a stones throw from the major rivers.
Posted By: TXfisherman12

Re: Bass with cancer in PA - 05/08/15 04:42 PM

I grew up near "The River", as we called it, and caught tons of smallmouth, and an occasional largemouth, bass from it over the years. And then to see the fishery slide dramatically is sad. Nobody knows what happened and continues to happen to the fish. I am not convinced it is pollution, but may be the cause. Everybody has a theory. I traveled back there last summer and got a chance to fish it, and only caught one tiny smallmouth, but looked healthy. Some of the tributary streams in Lanc Co still have healthy smallmouth populations.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum