Texas Fishing Forum

West Texas Rains

Posted By: ksalmon

West Texas Rains - 05/05/15 02:55 AM

Getting a damn nice rain up here in Lubbock. Between 2 and 3 inches depending on where you are in the city. Some areas have seen over 6 inches. Hopefully Alan Henry will see some of this system as well.
Posted By: fwfisher

Re: West Texas Rains - 05/05/15 03:00 AM

Fill em up!
Posted By: guntz67

Re: West Texas Rains - 05/05/15 03:09 AM

C'MON fill em up for sure.
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: West Texas Rains - 05/05/15 03:27 AM

John Robinson on Channel 11 said it had rained 3" at Justiceburg, so we can hope that Gail got a lot, too, so AH should see a rise in the next couple of days.

Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: Bluecatkayak

Re: West Texas Rains - 05/05/15 05:14 AM

In lovin it! I wonder how the lakes up north are doing with the rain?

Re: West Texas Rains - 05/05/15 12:02 PM

Up 2.5' and still rising.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: West Texas Rains - 05/05/15 12:07 PM

That is GREAT News. Hope you all get a lot more. cheers So far down here in South Central Texas we have not got any from this latest system. nuts Got over five inches last week. Some areas got six or seven inches. clap Hope we get a lot more. thumb

Side Note: Several lakes are going to need a HURRICANE to fill em. eeks
Posted By: elm creek

Re: West Texas Rains - 05/05/15 12:19 PM

We barely got a sprinkle yesterday, they are still giving us a chance all week but I think the big rain is all going to be north and west of us.

Re: West Texas Rains - 05/05/15 12:22 PM

Jerry I wish this system would just park its butt right over Ivie.
Posted By: 9094

Re: West Texas Rains - 05/05/15 02:17 PM

It is all going pretty far north of us here in Albany.
Posted By: Harry Dunn

Re: West Texas Rains - 05/05/15 02:38 PM

Tahoka is reporting 9.1" of rain. Seagraves got about that much as well. Hwy's 87 and 385 are closed. So much for going to Midland today.

Re: West Texas Rains - 05/05/15 02:43 PM

I've also heard some reports that the lake is already up over 4 ft since yesterday. Seems like a bit of an overstatement but I'm hoping it's true.

Re: West Texas Rains - 05/05/15 02:44 PM

According to USGS site Alan Henry is up about 4.5 feet so far and rising.
Posted By: Panhandle

Re: West Texas Rains - 05/05/15 02:45 PM

I saw video of the Brazos in Justiceburg. Alan Henry is going to go WAY up! angel
Posted By: Razorback

Re: West Texas Rains - 05/05/15 03:31 PM

I'm guessing Alan Henry will fill completely from this event. I'm glad for you guys. The rains we've gotten in parts of the state have been a real blessing.

Re: West Texas Rains - 05/05/15 03:39 PM

She just fill completely, we can hope. USGS data site shows it up about 5.2'. Hopefully, there was enough rain to fill her up. Won't be nearly as long of a walk, now.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/tx/nwis/uv/?site_no=08079700

NOW it shows it up 6'. At this rate, it will be going over the spillway before long. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: jb504079

Re: West Texas Rains - 05/05/15 03:57 PM

Anyone know about Greenbelt and Mackenzie? Alan Henry is rising fast according to USGS.....saweeet!
Posted By: elkfish

Re: West Texas Rains - 05/05/15 04:04 PM

thank you Lord for the rains...I hope it will spread to Ivie, Stamford, and Hubbard Creek! I know there are several more that need too...
Posted By: Alex K.

Re: West Texas Rains - 05/05/15 04:05 PM

Dang, AH only has 4.16 more feet till it's full.

Re: West Texas Rains - 05/05/15 04:05 PM

What type of rapid rise will this do to the fishing? I assume it will need a few days to settle down after the rise.
Posted By: Panhandle

Re: West Texas Rains - 05/05/15 04:25 PM

Originally Posted By: ksalmon
What type of rapid rise will this do to the fishing? I assume it will need a few days to settle down after the rise.

The last time it did this, she was going 4ft over the spillway. They closed the lake for a few days.
Posted By: balata9999

Re: West Texas Rains - 05/05/15 04:27 PM

Make it tough I would expect for the railroad tournament wed and thursday. Although if the mudlne doesn't make it down to the dam and you can stay in clearer water it might be real good in the newly flooded shallows. I would expect much of the water right of the ramp would be mud and very tough for a few days though. It will end the sight fishing for spawners for the year I would expect.

Re: West Texas Rains - 05/05/15 04:34 PM

Originally Posted By: jb504079
Anyone know about Greenbelt and Mackenzie? Alan Henry is rising fast according to USGS.....saweeet!

They have both come up a few inches according to the USGS site, but nothing like Alan Henry so far.
Posted By: txninja

Re: West Texas Rains - 05/05/15 04:36 PM

Maybe this will wash all the spotted bass out.... We can only dream.
Posted By: bigbass87

Re: West Texas Rains - 05/05/15 06:09 PM

Will any of this make its way to PK?

Re: West Texas Rains - 05/05/15 06:48 PM

If I'm reading the graph right Alan Henry is only about 2.5 feet below full pool now. It has come up something like 8 feet today.
Posted By: hornet527

Re: West Texas Rains - 05/05/15 07:12 PM

2-3 inches east of bronte yesterday maybe it'll eventually get to Ivie

Re: West Texas Rains - 05/05/15 08:49 PM

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_f...059%2F&_rdr

Re: West Texas Rains - 05/05/15 09:28 PM

I don't think there's any doubt Alan Henry will fill completely. The rise in one day has been unbelievable.
Posted By: Pkguy

Re: West Texas Rains - 05/05/15 09:57 PM

Is that footage below AH and if so will that get to PK?

Re: West Texas Rains - 05/05/15 10:54 PM

That footage is above AH. That's the Brazos right before it dumps
Into AH. Hwy 84 near Justiceberg.

Re: West Texas Rains - 05/05/15 10:54 PM

That is above Alan Henry. It is currently at 2218.96 at the 5:30pm reading. Full pool is 2220 I believe.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: West Texas Rains - 05/06/15 03:24 AM

AH just about full. Water is hitting JB Thomas now, gone up 2 feet in the last few hrs, that lake has more water in it than its had in 30 years, gonna be interesting to see how close to full pool it gets, don't think it ever has been.

Re: West Texas Rains - 05/06/15 03:27 AM

3 inches low right now. Will definitely hit full pool.

Re: West Texas Rains - 05/06/15 03:28 AM

Yep, according to USGS, AH is at 2219.73, so right at full pool. It should get there overnight. PK should be getting quite a bit last this week, too. Hope t does.

Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: lconn4

Re: West Texas Rains - 05/06/15 02:25 PM

just saw this site today

http://www.mesonet.ttu.edu/

Re: West Texas Rains - 05/06/15 02:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Bossbowman
AH just about full. Water is hitting JB Thomas now, gone up 2 feet in the last few hrs, that lake has more water in it than its had in 30 years, gonna be interesting to see how close to full pool it gets, don't think it ever has been.

Thomas now up almost 6 feet. I have never had any luck fishing in that mud hole in the past. Are they going to stock it again?
Posted By: SC-001

Re: West Texas Rains - 05/06/15 03:19 PM

Originally Posted By: ksalmon
Originally Posted By: Bossbowman

Thomas now up almost 6 feet. I have never had any luck fishing in that mud hole in the past. Are they going to stock it again?
Don't know, I doubt it without a hurricane every 2 or 3 years that water will get used up by surrounding towns, thomas and spence just historically haven't had the rain for the watershed size. As of now though its like west texas has a brand new lake.

Re: West Texas Rains - 05/06/15 03:40 PM

Will any of that water make it to Hubbard Creek? I'm not familiar with the area but it looks like Hubbard Creek is downstream in the Brazos basin. I know they are in desperate need of water there.
Posted By: 9094

Re: West Texas Rains - 05/06/15 04:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Razorback
Will any of that water make it to Hubbard Creek? I'm not familiar with the area but it looks like Hubbard Creek is downstream in the Brazos basin. I know they are in desperate need of water there.

No. It has to rain south of HC to do any good.
Posted By: chadcox

Re: West Texas Rains - 05/06/15 09:00 PM

Originally Posted By: 9094
No. It has to rain south of HC to do any good.

Unfortunately. I'd much rather keep driving past henry to go to Hubbard.
Posted By: machinist

Re: West Texas Rains - 05/07/15 03:05 AM

Or on the hills west of Albany. When you cross the bridge coming into Albany from the West you are
going over Hubbard Creek. That runs into Hubbard Creek Lake there at the Stephens county line.

Johnny
Posted By: pil,b

Re: West Texas Rains - 05/07/15 03:34 AM

And my grandson could wee wee across the stream there at the bridge. fish
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum