Texas Fishing Forum

"guarding" the hook vs. "hook up" ratio?

Posted By: Rob Lay

"guarding" the hook vs. "hook up" ratio? - 05/04/15 03:58 PM

I know there are all kinds of hook guards. Most protect against grass snags or hard snags. Is there a direct relationship with the more of a hook guard the less of a hook up ratio? Are there actually hook guards that don't decrease wanted hook ups?
Posted By: WAWI

Re: "guarding" the hook vs. "hook up" ratio? - 05/04/15 04:00 PM

As best I can tell my hook guards guard against fish.
Posted By: CapN Ron

Re: "guarding" the hook vs. "hook up" ratio? - 05/04/15 04:16 PM

Rob. I don't have a lot of issues. Of course, I'm in east Texas using big line and big rods 99% of the time.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: "guarding" the hook vs. "hook up" ratio? - 05/04/15 04:20 PM

Hook guards on what type of hook/bait Rob?
Posted By: timwins31

Re: "guarding" the hook vs. "hook up" ratio? - 05/04/15 04:33 PM

Not sure how to answer this. I'll just say, in general, I try to avoid a guard of any kind as much as possible. I might actually prefer losing baits over losing fish because the lure was too "protected" from the cover. And yes, I've lost a LOT of jigs in my life. Lol. This new Mark Pack jig is probably the best of both worlds from what I've seen so far. . .
Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: "guarding" the hook vs. "hook up" ratio? - 05/04/15 06:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.
Hook guards on what type of hook/bait Rob?

anything really, I use whacky a bunch, but jig was mostly in back of my mind.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: "guarding" the hook vs. "hook up" ratio? - 05/04/15 08:06 PM

Rob, sent you an email.
Posted By: DevinJoe

Re: "guarding" the hook vs. "hook up" ratio? - 05/05/15 07:23 AM

IMO the thicker the weed gaurd the more fish u lose. I,trim mine even with the tip of the hook. Then I cut a little over Hale of the gaurd off at the head. Its still doesn't hang up a lot and u rarely loose fish once hooked
Posted By: DevinJoe

Re: "guarding" the hook vs. "hook up" ratio? - 05/05/15 07:24 AM

Sorry. Half not hale
Posted By: FMJshooter

Re: "guarding" the hook vs. "hook up" ratio? - 05/06/15 03:49 AM

Yep I think tuning weed guards isn't done a whole lot but I like to do it. All weedguards aren't equal some are stiff some are soft so trimming and thinning can be trial and error deal, bad new is when you go too thin you're probably losing it. Obviously the thicker the brush the more you need too so it can be somewhat of an art to get it just right for what your'e fishing.
Posted By: ChrisBlackmon95

Re: "guarding" the hook vs. "hook up" ratio? - 05/06/15 03:55 AM

Originally Posted By: timwins31
Not sure how to answer this. I'll just say, in general, I try to avoid a guard of any kind as much as possible. I might actually prefer losing baits over losing fish because the lure was too "protected" from the cover. And yes, I've lost a LOT of jigs in my life. Lol. This new Mark Pack jig is probably the best of both worlds from what I've seen so far. . .
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum