Texas Fishing Forum

Bucket List Trip: Toledo Bend and Fin n' Feather Resort !!

Posted By: Lee in Texas

Bucket List Trip: Toledo Bend and Fin n' Feather Resort !! - 05/02/15 06:22 PM

Man, all I can tell you all is the trip was fantastic. Many, so many thanks to ALL the wonderful people at Fin n' Feather Resort, especially owner Tom Sistrunk! He and Kim Hill (resort manager), wife Retha Sistrunk, Kristy Davis (restaurant manager), Crissy Jordan, Daron Caun, Danny Rogers, Breanna Reeves, Natalie Gaby, Melanie and everyone else!
ALL, and I do mean all went out of their way to make sure we had a great time and as we were Texas Fishing Forum members treated us like VIP's!!
The rooms were fantastic, service outstanding and even after a HUGE storm which we just missed, had the resort on the repairs quickly underway.
Darold Gleason Guide is nothing short of outstanding! Put us on the fish the very first afternoon we were there (after a huge storm now mind you - water wave action, cloudy and very dirty water) boated over 40 black bass in just a few hours!
Caught my PB (ya'll don't laugh to hard now - still learning this fishing stuff) of 3 1/2 to 4lbs!!

Caught numbers of smaller fish and on the way back in, Darold saw something across the bay (Houesn sp) on the east side, we stopped and my neighbor who went with me boated a 4 1/2lb besting me....LOL.

Here are the three of us on the return of the biggest fish..Darold in the center:

The second day, without Darold we didn't do so well, the wind was blowing like crazy and few EXCEPT for Darold and his two clients who came in and we met for lunch, caught over 100 !! That was before lunch!!
The next day was blue bird skies and tough...so not much.
Did get one REALLY strong bite on a Strike King square bill 1 1/2" in about 3 feet of water. I had that rigged using 20lb braid and something (I can't honestly say how big or what) hit and BROKE THE DARN BRAID, almost dragging me and rod/reel off the boat! I just wish I had at least got to see the fish.
Oh, BTW, seems our best bites and the best rig was a Carolina rig, 1 oz slip weight and a small watermelon colored lizard.
Seems a Carolina rig and whatever your favorite bait (smaller) catches the best bite (for now anyhow)
Ok the where, north of Fin n' Feather in 25' of water throwing in towards the south shore up in to 15' to 18' of water.
Tom and the crew lost he crappie house, walkway and pier due to the storm before we got there. I am told the crappie bite even there is/was fantastic! They are rebuilding it as we speak, should be back this week. The walkway is already repaired and access to all the boat stalls is again possible.
I caught a picture of the owner Tom Sistrunk, helping clean up the place for a big tourney going on this weekend.

There were a number of fishermen there from Sam Rayburn, Tawokani(sp), Lake Fork and several guides fishing as well.
One of the best guides, along with Darold Gleason, is David Truax. These two come HIGHLY recommended by the owner Tom.
Our trip was fantastic! If Toledo Bend is not on your 'bucket list to fish', I recomend you add it. When you go, even for a day trip, make sure you launch, lunch and meet the folks now own and running Fin n' Feather Resort....you will be glad you did!

This coming week, if not raining, will be cloudy and good wave action and probably great fishing again.

If I can give you any information on Darold Gleason or David Traux, guides, PM me here and be happy to do so. BOOK NOW, they are both very, very filling with clients for both 1/2 and full day trips.

If you go, make a point of looking up Tom. Big guy usually driving around in a blue golf cart...let him know your from/on the Texas Fishing Forum!!!

God Bless...........(and thanks to Tom, Darold and all the Fin n' Feather crew)
Fred aka Lee in Texas
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Bucket List Trip: Toledo Bend and Fin n' Feather Resort !! - 05/02/15 06:38 PM

Great post, good report Lee! Glad to see you rippin some lips! cheers
Posted By: mikefish42

Re: Bucket List Trip: Toledo Bend and Fin n' Feather Resort !! - 05/02/15 07:01 PM

Nice fish, I would like to have a trip like that.

Re: Bucket List Trip: Toledo Bend and Fin n' Feather Resort !! - 05/02/15 07:18 PM

There were MANY guides and experienced fishermen all fishing there on TB. MANY. On the walls of the office at Fin n' Feather, there were just covered with pictures of double digit fish!!
You really would enjoy it.
The folks there are all great, more than willing to give you information on what is and what is not biting and generally where on the lake but, if you want to boat something on the order of 100+, you better contact one of the two guides I mentioned above.
They KNOW that lake and they KNOW the bass there!!
God Bless
Posted By: M. Alexander

Re: Bucket List Trip: Toledo Bend and Fin n' Feather Resort !! - 05/02/15 07:29 PM

Sounds like you had a blast, Lee. Happy for you!
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Bucket List Trip: Toledo Bend and Fin n' Feather Resort !! - 05/02/15 08:16 PM

Great report and glad you crossed one off your bucket list. Nice fish and congrats on the PB!
Posted By: JimmyP

Re: Bucket List Trip: Toledo Bend and Fin n' Feather Resort !! - 05/02/15 08:21 PM

Great report Lee. My wife and I will be at Fin & Feather this coming Friday for 10 days. Going out with Darold on Monday. Hope we do as well as ya'll did.

Re: Bucket List Trip: Toledo Bend and Fin n' Feather Resort !! - 05/02/15 09:06 PM

Originally Posted By: JimmyP
Great report Lee. My wife and I will be at Fin & Feather this coming Friday for 10 days. Going out with Darold on Monday. Hope we do as well as ya'll did.

If your going out with Darold, you WILL thumb . Make sure ya'll say hi to Tom when you get there and go by for lunch/supper.
The food is FANTASTIC, LOL, BE HUNGRY!
God Bless
Posted By: Fork Fanatic

Re: Bucket List Trip: Toledo Bend and Fin n' Feather Resort !! - 05/02/15 10:05 PM

Sounds like a good trip Lee. Glad you got to scratch that lake off your bucket list. I plan to retire on TB in a very few short years. It's a good lake.
Posted By: D Thomas

Re: Bucket List Trip: Toledo Bend and Fin n' Feather Resort !! - 05/02/15 11:22 PM

clap
Cheering for you Lee!
Posted By: JerryC

Re: Bucket List Trip: Toledo Bend and Fin n' Feather Resort !! - 05/03/15 02:25 AM

Cool Deal Fred, glad you had fun!
Posted By: SRitchey

Re: Bucket List Trip: Toledo Bend and Fin n' Feather Resort !! - 05/03/15 02:31 AM

Glad you got to go what a cool deal! Glad you caught 'em and congrats on the PB!
Posted By: buckjunkie

Re: Bucket List Trip: Toledo Bend and Fin n' Feather Resort !! - 05/03/15 06:48 AM

Sounds like y'all had a blast. Glad y'all caught some fish. I was there a week or so ago, but it was tough. I may have to go back soon.
Posted By: Phototex

Re: Bucket List Trip: Toledo Bend and Fin n' Feather Resort !! - 05/03/15 11:34 AM

Glad your trip to TB was pretty much what you'd hoped it would be. The downside, of course, is that you'll just want to go back, over and over. grin
Posted By: RodBreaker CWill

Re: Bucket List Trip: Toledo Bend and Fin n' Feather Resort !! - 05/03/15 11:38 AM

WTG Lee. Glad you enjoyed your trip. My parents live about 2 miles past Fin N Feather. I try and go to TB as much as possible. The fishing there is awesome. I have 2 tournys this month on TB and will be headed back that way next week. Have never used either of the guides you spoke highly of due to the fact that my dad is an above average fisherman and knows the lake very well. He almost always puts me on some nice fish when I'm there. Hope he can put us on some bigguns come May 15th-17th for the Sealy Big Bass Splash that we will be fishing. That tourny alone gives out over $660,000 in cash and prizes. thumb fish

Re: Bucket List Trip: Toledo Bend and Fin n' Feather Resort !! - 05/03/15 12:14 PM

Man, if you haven't been to TB, ask Rod Breaker or Jaret Latta, or any number others on here!
The 'Lake', and now 'the time' and 'the place' to be fishing!!
Call the folks in my signature, ask them, get your reservation.
But if you haven't been there before line up with one of the local guides!!!
I'm sure by now the crappie house is being re-built so, crappie fishermen don't have to go far!
Good luck and God Bless
thumb
Posted By: RodBreaker CWill

Re: Bucket List Trip: Toledo Bend and Fin n' Feather Resort !! - 05/03/15 01:00 PM

Lee when I was there a couple weeks ago we loaded up on Crappie. Black with a chartreuse tail jigs. Caught our limit of 50, went and got a sandwich and cleaned them and went back out that afternoon and got another 50. That's catchin right there, not fishin. thumb
Posted By: reelswift

Re: Bucket List Trip: Toledo Bend and Fin n' Feather Resort !! - 05/03/15 03:00 PM

Thats an awesome pic with the heavy clouds and wave action love those kinda of conditions seams like I always find the the big girls when the weather turns rough.

Originally Posted By: Lee in Texas
Man, all I can tell you all is the trip was fantastic. Many, so many thanks to ALL the wonderful people at Fin n' Feather Resort, especially owner Tom Sistrunk! He and Kim Hill (resort manager), wife Retha Sistrunk, Kristy Davis (restaurant manager), Crissy Jordan, Daron Caun, Danny Rogers, Breanna Reeves, Natalie Gaby, Melanie and everyone else!
ALL, and I do mean all went out of their way to make sure we had a great time and as we were Texas Fishing Forum members treated us like VIP's!!
The rooms were fantastic, service outstanding and even after a HUGE storm which we just missed, had the resort on the repairs quickly underway.
Darold Gleason Guide is nothing short of outstanding! Put us on the fish the very first afternoon we were there (after a huge storm now mind you - water wave action, cloudy and very dirty water) boated over 40 black bass in just a few hours!
Caught my PB (ya'll don't laugh to hard now - still learning this fishing stuff) of 3 1/2 to 4lbs!!

Caught numbers of smaller fish and on the way back in, Darold saw something across the bay (Houesn sp) on the east side, we stopped and my neighbor who went with me boated a 4 1/2lb besting me....LOL.

Here are the three of us on the return of the biggest fish..Darold in the center:

The second day, without Darold we didn't do so well, the wind was blowing like crazy and few EXCEPT for Darold and his two clients who came in and we met for lunch, caught over 100 !! That was before lunch!!
The next day was blue bird skies and tough...so not much.
Did get one REALLY strong bite on a Strike King square bill 1 1/2" in about 3 feet of water. I had that rigged using 20lb braid and something (I can't honestly say how big or what) hit and BROKE THE DARN BRAID, almost dragging me and rod/reel off the boat! I just wish I had at least got to see the fish.
Oh, BTW, seems our best bites and the best rig was a Carolina rig, 1 oz slip weight and a small watermelon colored lizard.
Seems a Carolina rig and whatever your favorite bait (smaller) catches the best bite (for now anyhow)
Ok the where, north of Fin n' Feather in 25' of water throwing in towards the south shore up in to 15' to 18' of water.
Tom and the crew lost he crappie house, walkway and pier due to the storm before we got there. I am told the crappie bite even there is/was fantastic! They are rebuilding it as we speak, should be back this week. The walkway is already repaired and access to all the boat stalls is again possible.
I caught a picture of the owner Tom Sistrunk, helping clean up the place for a big tourney going on this weekend.

There were a number of fishermen there from Sam Rayburn, Tawokani(sp), Lake Fork and several guides fishing as well.
One of the best guides, along with Darold Gleason, is David Truax. These two come HIGHLY recommended by the owner Tom.
Our trip was fantastic! If Toledo Bend is not on your 'bucket list to fish', I recomend you add it. When you go, even for a day trip, make sure you launch, lunch and meet the folks now own and running Fin n' Feather Resort....you will be glad you did!

This coming week, if not raining, will be cloudy and good wave action and probably great fishing again.

If I can give you any information on Darold Gleason or David Traux, guides, PM me here and be happy to do so. BOOK NOW, they are both very, very filling with clients for both 1/2 and full day trips.

If you go, make a point of looking up Tom. Big guy usually driving around in a blue golf cart...let him know your from/on the Texas Fishing Forum!!!

God Bless...........(and thanks to Tom, Darold and all the Fin n' Feather crew)
Fred aka Lee in Texas

Re: Bucket List Trip: Toledo Bend and Fin n' Feather Resort !! - 05/03/15 05:18 PM

It sure looks like this coming week with the cloudy and rain predicted, the fishing should get better and even BETTER!!
God Bless clap

Re: Bucket List Trip: Toledo Bend and Fin n' Feather Resort !! - 05/03/15 11:57 PM

Before the thread dies, I want to thank all of the 'well wishers' for your kind words on my PB.
roflmao Just hope it's the beginning of a much larger catch.
Would love to fish Toledo Bend again, one day God willing.
Anyone heading east Texas or wanting to catch a good stringer of bass/crappie, check out my signature for Fin n' Feather. Those folks will take great care of you...and you will probably run in to a few who will give you good information on where to look on TB. Say hi to Tom for me...
Thanks all.........
God Bless
Posted By: LipRippinLanders -BryanLanders

Re: Bucket List Trip: Toledo Bend and Fin n' Feather Resort !! - 05/11/15 05:07 AM

I will tell you that Darold Gleason with South Toledo Bend Guide Service is the best on the lake.

Re: Bucket List Trip: Toledo Bend and Fin n' Feather Resort !! - 05/11/15 10:39 AM

I believe he is to !! I also believe in the coming Bass Masters Elite on Kentucky Lake (June 3-7,2015), he will finish somewhere in the top 10! I would like to see him win it but, I'm not a tourney guy and I know he will be facing the best in the country but, he will finish in the top 10. More on Darold here: Darold Gleason and it's not just me, Tom Sistrunk (owner/operator) of Fin n' Feather Resort is sponsoring Darold in this event! Good luck shipmate!!!
IMO .......
God Bless
Posted By: JimmyP

Re: Bucket List Trip: Toledo Bend and Fin n' Feather Resort !! - 05/15/15 11:45 PM

Went out with Darold Gleason on Sunday and Tuesday this week. Sunday we caught over 50 and Tuesday we caught over 100. The best trip I have ever been on. He took my wife and I out and we had a blast. This kid is the real deal and you won't find a better person to fish with. Wish him well at Kentucky Lake as I will be keeping up with him from now on. And Fin & Feather is as nice a place as I have ever been to. Tom Sistrunk has done a wonderful job in building a place that anyone would enjoy.

Re: Bucket List Trip: Toledo Bend and Fin n' Feather Resort !! - 05/15/15 11:50 PM

Darold and Tom are great folks aren't they!!! banana Fin n' Feather Resort - TOP NOTCH in anyone's book!! banana
Glad you went and had a great time as well....
You betcha, I really believe Darold WILL finish somewhere in the top 10 at Kentucky Lake Elite!! Just a matter of where.... lot's of good competition BUT, like you say, he "IS" the real deal!
Tom, well, you won't find a better person anywhere, owner or not. Top notch.
Good news, GREAT POST!!!! bananabananabanana
God Bless
Posted By: 67TexasTBend

Re: Bucket List Trip: Toledo Bend and Fin n' Feather Resort !! - 05/16/15 12:50 AM

Great trip report Lee and congrats on all those fish Darold put you on. Toledo Bend is a special place.

Darold's a first class guy all the way around. My 13 year old son and I had a great trip with Darold last summer. Darold's great with kids. My son had never really liked fishing with artificials, and had never caught a bass, since I've mostly saltwater fished since he was born. I was a little worried about him having a good time throwing Artie's all day, and then especially when Darold started us out in 30ft of water. Darold set up a drop shot for him and gave him a quick lesson on it, and my son had 5 Bass in the boat up to 3lbs before I caught my first. I lost count of how many we caught all day, but it had to be at least 40 quality fish. Darold even put one in the boat that went 9lbs. It was a very memorable day for us.
Posted By: Black Bass Blake

Re: Bucket List Trip: Toledo Bend and Fin n' Feather Resort !! - 05/16/15 02:03 AM

Glad you had a great trip Lee. Thanks for the great report and for sharing your story with us. Your writing really expressed your excitement!
Posted By: jignrig

Re: Bucket List Trip: Toledo Bend and Fin n' Feather Resort !! - 05/16/15 02:08 AM

I was there with my Uncle this time last year and had My brand new truck blow a PCM. Tom's crew launched us every day to keep us fishing and we had a blast. Can't say enough good things about Fin n Feather and their staff. Also turned out my uncle and Tom went to the same high school in Dallas back in the day! Great experience and will be back many times in years to come! Thanks again Tom for being such a great host!
Posted By: Darold Gleason, T-bend Guide

Re: Bucket List Trip: Toledo Bend and Fin n' Feather Resort !! - 05/16/15 02:34 AM

Appreciate all the nice comments guys. I am a blessed guy to share what I love with so many like minded folks. Toledo Bend is truly a special place. Hope everyone gets to comes and enjoy it at some point.

Re: Bucket List Trip: Toledo Bend and Fin n' Feather Resort !! - 05/16/15 05:02 AM

Watch for this young mans name. Your going to hear more and more about him. Wonderful person and loves and is GOOD at fishing!
Mark it down..... and soon He is a Pro and man, he "knows' Toledo Bend!
(BTW - if you have never fished with him, talk to anyone who has. That should change your mind and book a trip!)
God Bless
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum