Texas Fishing Forum

Mustang PFD problem..

Posted By: Clay Shipe

Mustang PFD problem.. - 05/01/15 05:09 PM

Ive got the red mustang PFD from bass pro, its not the top model, its the one right under it. The indicator is showing red, but the CO2 cartridge has not been punctured. I cant find any helpful info so I figured ask here. Do I need to replace the entire inflation kit?

I have only had this thing for about a year. If I need to pay 80 bucks already for a new kit, ill just go back to the old school Life jacket.

Thanks for the help.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Mustang PFD problem.. - 05/01/15 05:15 PM

How much is your life worth, Clay? Yes, you need to replace the entire kit. I went back to traditional 100mph impact life jackets in my boat for this very reason.
Posted By: Clay Shipe

Re: Mustang PFD problem.. - 05/01/15 06:17 PM

Well I do value my life, very much. But I aint about to replace that damn kit every year. Ill be going back to old school then. I know those work.
Posted By: Bugzout10

Re: Mustang PFD problem.. - 05/01/15 06:50 PM

Fouz how do you like that jacket I am about to buy one does it run true to size
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Mustang PFD problem.. - 05/01/15 06:53 PM

Love them and yes, they run true to size. They're a bit warm in the summer but it beats being dead!
Posted By: PEDRO H.

Re: Mustang PFD problem.. - 05/01/15 08:10 PM

the black plastic ring at the neck of the cartridge has broken at least that is what happened to mine. it showed red, but had not been used. that black ring is what keeps the green showing in the window. mine broke because I crammed mine in the storage locker of junk instead of in the empty one.
Posted By: ScottCook

Re: Mustang PFD problem.. - 05/02/15 10:59 AM

You shouldn't have to replace the kit every year. The Stearns Sospenders uses the same inflation system. Mine lasted 10 years until I decided to see if it still held air last week and pulled the cord. Didn't know the 38cc inflation kit is so hard to find...
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Mustang PFD problem.. - 05/02/15 11:58 AM

Kit should be about $25 at Academy. That black ring can break. The HIT model is much better. I have both. Your model has had 3 kits in it in 7 years. The HIT model is going on 2 years with no issues.
Posted By: Marooned

Re: Mustang PFD problem.. - 05/02/15 03:33 PM

I have a Mustang HIT vest - the highest price one. My cartridge kit lasted 5 years, and then I replaced it because the 5 year date was up. I always put the vest back into its original mesh carrier. Maybe that helps keep it from damage, don't really know.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Mustang PFD problem.. - 05/02/15 06:57 PM

i would highly suggest that everyone read the packaging the inflateables come in or the tags on the PFDs themselves. NO WAY you need to go 5-10 years with same canister. That is asking for trouble. You realistically could lose your life over it. In addition the way they are built the label on the inside of the vests that shows the USCG info will start to fade and be unreadable. That is by design so that it will be discarded as its starting to break down. You can and will get ticketed if that info is not readable.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Mustang PFD problem.. - 05/03/15 10:40 AM

Worth mentioning on the discussion of PFD condition is that any evidence of damage such as rip, tear, or breakdown of fabric weave due to contact wear will also render a PFD out of service and can result in a citation. I had a spot on a vest-style PFD that was beginning to show "wear-through" and thread separation. A warden politely informed me that the vest was at end of life and would need replacement to avoid a future citation.....
Posted By: NitroUSAF

Re: Mustang PFD problem.. - 05/03/15 04:13 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
How much is your life worth, Clay? Yes, you need to replace the entire kit. I went back to traditional 100mph impact life jackets in my boat for this very reason.

Absolutely, I did the same thing. Mine went off by itself sitting in the garage and it is still there never to be used again.
Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: Mustang PFD problem.. - 05/03/15 07:11 PM

I have the hydrostatics and the kits last around 3yrs yes if it shows red then replace it. If it's not hydrostatic then your kit shouldn't be $80. Should be around $19-30 and what your describing you don't have hydro
Posted By: Fish AKA Jerry

Re: Mustang PFD problem.. - 05/10/15 08:19 PM

No muss,no fuss,no fail= OLD SCHOOL!
Posted By: Stephen Phillips

Re: Mustang PFD problem.. - 05/11/15 01:45 AM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
Getting rid of the auto inflates, which 100 mph impact jacket are you guys using? The Mustang Accel 100 vest? I would appreciate any feedback.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum