Texas Fishing Forum

Anyone ever been bit by a gar?

Posted By: Bissett

Anyone ever been bit by a gar? - 04/27/15 12:35 AM

The other day I was bass fishing and hooked into a gar. I've caught a few before but tis one was a little on the aggressive side so it got me thinking. I used my needle nose pliers of course. Do you have any stories from trying to unhook them that went bad?
Posted By: JCBfromTHF

Re: Anyone ever been bit by a gar? - 04/27/15 12:48 AM

Not a Gar but have been bit by a Grinnel. First one I ever caught I didn't know what it was and tried to lip it. BIG mistake!!!
Posted By: SpiderJig

Re: Anyone ever been bit by a gar? - 04/27/15 12:48 AM

Only a bass I caught on a topwater lure with 2 treble hooks. I flopped out of my hands, 1 treble went through my shirt into my stomach and the other treble was still on the fish. Oh my god it was horrible
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Anyone ever been bit by a gar? - 04/27/15 12:52 AM

Haha. I've been stuck by a hard head catfish in the gulf once. Worst pain I've ever felt. Honestly had thoughts of amputating my hand to ease the pain.

Lost a big bass at Ross Barnett a month or so ago. Trying to land her. She sent the crank bait from her mouth to about a 1/2"'into my index finger. Got a nice 1 1/2" long scar now.
Posted By: FMJshooter

Re: Anyone ever been bit by a gar? - 04/27/15 01:23 AM

Curious about this myself.

Sharing stories I have got bit by a big ol skate once but the worst I got was a little white bass shook off a crankbait and flopped around on my flip flop exposed toes and cut the [censored] out of them. Was bleeding all over the place after that one that little bastard went to the pan.
Posted By: skeeter james

Re: Anyone ever been bit by a gar? - 04/27/15 01:30 AM

Omg jcb!!!! The first time you see one they kinda have a similar look to a bass, but that mouth full of teeth prove it's no bass..... That had to hurt!!!!!
Posted By: Pearlandtexan

Re: Anyone ever been bit by a gar? - 04/27/15 01:44 AM

Not a gar, hooked a baby gator once, luckily it got off didn't know what I was gonna do with it once it got back to the boat....... eeks
Posted By: Lil joe

Re: Anyone ever been bit by a gar? - 04/27/15 02:07 AM

I haven't actually been bit but I have been cut by their teeth when they start flopping aroud while Trying to handle them. They don't have to actually bite you to do damage
Posted By: Bissett

Re: Anyone ever been bit by a gar? - 04/27/15 02:37 AM

One tournament last year my partner caught about a 2 lb catfish and went to kick it off the dock back into the lake. It flopped at the right time and the fin went straight through his shoe and into his foot about an inch right at the base of his big toe. He was in a lot of pain lol
Posted By: WyattYoung7

Re: Anyone ever been bit by a gar? - 04/27/15 04:27 AM

I shot one bowfishing one night and he decided to lop down on my hand when I got him in the boat and the next day it was a little swollen. Not sure why
Posted By: kingfish_1970

Re: Anyone ever been bit by a gar? - 04/27/15 05:28 AM

Originally Posted By: JCBfromTHF
Not a Gar but have been bit by a Grinnel. First one I ever caught I didn't know what it was and tried to lip it. BIG mistake!!!

Yep, those "catfish with green scales" will get your mind right.
Posted By: txfsh

Re: Anyone ever been bit by a gar? - 04/27/15 07:10 AM

Not bit but I had one slip while taking a hook out and it sliced my hand pretty good. Those teeth are like razors.
Posted By: Samuel Ragle

Re: Anyone ever been bit by a gar? - 04/27/15 07:10 AM

Hadn't been bit but had my fair share of catfish fins in me. Hand mostly, I learnt how to hold them real quick! Every once in awhile the small ones still get me, cause they are too slippery. But one thing is sure, it might not be me only, but 60% of the time if I have a small mudcat (not catfish, mudcat) I'll get finned! You got to run its slime on the wound to stop the bleeding and ease the pain
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: Anyone ever been bit by a gar? - 04/27/15 10:27 AM

When my dad was young he almost lost a thumb to a grinnel. Never lip a grinnel they have rows of sharp teeth like a shark and are more than willing to use them to defend themselves......
Posted By: Jim Deeds

Re: Anyone ever been bit by a gar? - 04/27/15 11:01 AM

Originally Posted By: JCBfromTHF

Can't imagine that. I've seen how they crush a spinnerbait - they must just chew on it.

I once caught a big opelousas cat on a yo-yo. When I got there, it was hanging by a whisker and I eased my hand into it's mouth to lift it. Big mistake - he chomped down and when I panicked and tried to pull my hand out, it took all the hide off the top of my fingers.
Posted By: KingwoodCat

Re: Anyone ever been bit by a gar? - 04/27/15 11:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Bissett
The other day I was bass fishing and hooked into a gar. I've caught a few before but tis one was a little on the aggressive side so it got me thinking. I used my needle nose pliers of course. Do you have any stories from trying to unhook them that went bad?

Not bit, but finned by one on Lake Whitney a long time ago. the fin stuck in my arm and broke off. I thought I had all of it out until my arm started swelling up. Squeezed on it and about 1/8 inch piece shot across the room. The relief was instantaneous.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum