Texas Fishing Forum

Snake chased us at Cedar Creek

Posted By: CLedbetter

Snake chased us at Cedar Creek - 04/26/15 11:02 PM

So a buddy and I were fishing in the first cove on the west side from the dam on Cedar Creek yesterday and we were flipping the brush just working along the bank. Suddenly my buddy points out a 4 ft snake swimming out of the brush towards us. I take a look thinking it will just pass on by but nope. Chased us a good 100 yards out of the cove. I got on my trolling motor and had to put on highest speed to out run it! I have never seen a snake get that aggressive before. Must have been protecting a nest or something.
Posted By: wetduck

Re: Snake chased us at Cedar Creek - 04/26/15 11:11 PM

Should have flogged hell out of it
Posted By: djones03

Re: Snake chased us at Cedar Creek - 04/26/15 11:13 PM

I thought that was the reason we are required to carry an oar onboard. One solid whack with a wooden oar and you won't have to worry about anything but finding new shorts.
Posted By: AWS

Re: Snake chased us at Cedar Creek - 04/26/15 11:16 PM

Texas Brown Water Snake?
Posted By: bubbaque

Re: Snake chased us at Cedar Creek - 04/26/15 11:17 PM

Happend to me at Lake Fork bent my net handle on the beast
Posted By: RL206

Re: Snake chased us at Cedar Creek - 04/26/15 11:19 PM

I had one do the same thing on the n end of RH. I saw it coming 75ft away, straight towards the boat. I shot at it with a pistol but didn't hit it, but it blew it out of the water and that didn't phase it any, we had to leave.
Posted By: SpiderJig

Re: Snake chased us at Cedar Creek - 04/26/15 11:22 PM

Why are you guys so scared of a little water snake? bolt
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: Snake chased us at Cedar Creek - 04/26/15 11:23 PM

he just wanted to know what you were catching them on...
Posted By: PlanoGuy

Re: Snake chased us at Cedar Creek - 04/26/15 11:24 PM

Thats why I carry mice in a container. Anytime I see a snake I fling one in its direction. Keeps up busy for a while and will be to full to chase me off.

Re: Snake chased us at Cedar Creek - 04/26/15 11:29 PM

I'm telling yall that snake was about ready to climb on board with us! I was ready to jump on my buddies shoulders if he came any closer. A 410 would have came in handy
Posted By: PlanoGuy

Re: Snake chased us at Cedar Creek - 04/26/15 11:32 PM

Or 420 to remain relaxed.

Re: Snake chased us at Cedar Creek - 04/26/15 11:50 PM

Originally Posted By: PlanoGuy

That snake would have suddenly became an anaconda!
Posted By: DKennimer

Re: Snake chased us at Cedar Creek - 04/27/15 12:11 AM

Was fishing in a cove yesterday at Fork and a family in a pontoon boat said the same thing happened. One was trying to get in the boat with them. I carry a 410 Snake Charmer in the boat.
Posted By: otay michael

Re: Snake chased us at Cedar Creek - 04/27/15 12:17 AM

Never understood the thing swimming over a lake to find more dry land, isn't there plenty where they came from? Dumb critters...
Posted By: Bissett

Re: Snake chased us at Cedar Creek - 04/27/15 12:30 AM

You should have cut its head off and posted a pic
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: Snake chased us at Cedar Creek - 04/27/15 12:53 AM

Just be careful any where you are right now. The lake filling and high water has pushed them out of the bottoms around here and they are showing up in people's yards around Cooper. One of my friends has killed what appeared to be some sort of rattler this week and a neighbor had two dogs bitten by water moccasins yesterday. If you live in or near a river bottom, creek bottom, or lake that has been dry a while with the potential to hold snakes they will be looking for a dryer place to reside. Your yard and your home will fit the bill perfectly for them.........
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Snake chased us at Cedar Creek - 04/27/15 01:28 AM

Happened to me on CC in Caney today. Was skipping a spinnerbait under a dock. Must have been a nest, she came out, I trolled away, she followed. Got out of her territory, and watched her curl up on a dock post. Pretty sure it was a brown water snake. Head was narrow, and skipped above the water. Colors were bright!
Posted By: Lou r Pitcher

Re: Snake chased us at Cedar Creek - 04/27/15 01:49 AM

The non-poisonous Texas Diamondback water snake (I'm not making this name up, google it) is know to be aggressive. Had one swim out at sunset from along gibbons creek lake shoreline and make 3 attempts to get in bow of boat each time getting hit with rod tip, and then circled boat and quickly came over stern into boat....slithered across boat deck and made strikes at us on bow when we finally got him with an oar. We had no bait or food in boat.

For the guy that says why run from a non-poisonous snake, well he as a mouth full of rat bacteria filled teeth and said to leave a nasty bite requiring antibiotics to keep from being infected.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Snake chased us at Cedar Creek - 04/27/15 01:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Lou r Pitcher
The non-poisonous Texas Diamondback water snake (I'm not making this name up, google it) is know to be aggressive.

That would be the one!!!
Posted By: Razorback

Re: Snake chased us at Cedar Creek - 04/27/15 02:00 AM

We had one climb into the boat with us on Cypress Springs a couple of years ago. I broke a rod tip trying to keep it from topping the transom and getting in with us. He was determined.
Posted By: James Weir

Re: Snake chased us at Cedar Creek - 04/27/15 02:22 AM

I hate snakes
Posted By: Nutman

Re: Snake chased us at Cedar Creek - 04/27/15 02:35 AM

Originally Posted By: DKennimer
Was fishing in a cove yesterday at Fork and a family in a pontoon boat said the same thing happened. One was trying to get in the boat with them. I carry a 410 Snake Charmer in the boat.

Nothing better than a 410 Snake Charmer for all kinds of snakes & rats
Posted By: cephusjoe

Re: Snake chased us at Cedar Creek - 04/27/15 02:49 AM

Lol it may have been someone's pet.... Some dock snakes are tamed I swear
Posted By: MV

Re: Snake chased us at Cedar Creek - 04/27/15 02:51 AM

Had one get our boat. We were fishing a club tourney. Partner about 250 lbs reached under his console on all he was on top of the motor. Saying big snake. I was casting didn't believe him. went and look it was 5 footer. I netted him threw it out. then it tried to get back in. we were in a stump field trolling motor on high and it was chasing us. It was hilarious.
Posted By: Gunzel

Re: Snake chased us at Cedar Creek - 04/27/15 03:00 AM

Back in the day me and my dad was pullin up to a tree on Hubbard Creek, I was in the front of the Bizmark not payin attention like most youngsters and was about to throw the rope over the a branch when my dad holled and went full throttle reverse nearly throwing me out, the tree had to have had 10 or more snakes layin in the sun.
Scared the [censored] out of him! Freaked me out seeing him so freaked out. I hate snakes.
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: Snake chased us at Cedar Creek - 04/27/15 03:08 AM

And it continues around Cooper, neighbor just killed a water moccasin on their back porch this evening.......
Posted By: JMac-D

Re: Snake chased us at Cedar Creek - 04/27/15 05:28 AM

Lmao
Posted By: Samuel Ragle

Re: Snake chased us at Cedar Creek - 04/27/15 07:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Consul1855

That snake would have suddenly became an anaconda!
Posted By: T54

Re: Snake chased us at Cedar Creek - 04/27/15 10:18 AM

Had a water snake climb into the boat and bite me a couple years ago while fishing a night tournament. I felt something on my foot and stepped back, only to step on the snake. It whipped around and tagged me right on the shin.
Posted By: lakeforkfishon

Re: Snake chased us at Cedar Creek - 04/27/15 10:35 AM

Dock owners at Fork keep some as pets to keep fisherman away from their brushpiles coach
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Snake chased us at Cedar Creek - 04/27/15 01:10 PM

Some of the guys I've seen fishing are dangerous with a rattle trap. They hook everyone on the boat with it. I'd hate to see this same group of guys with 410's. Haha. They shoot everyone and put holes in the boat trying to hit a snake. Lol.
Posted By: M. Alexander

Re: Snake chased us at Cedar Creek - 04/27/15 02:13 PM

Originally Posted By: SpiderJig
Why are you guys so scared of a little water snake? bolt
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Snake chased us at Cedar Creek - 04/27/15 04:43 PM

The only place I have had that happen to me was on Cedar Creek also. It came across the creek at us and started bumping the side of the boat and then tried climbing into the boat by way of the motor. We were fishing the other side of the creek and never even cast in its direction so I have no idea what made it so mad.

Re: Snake chased us at Cedar Creek - 04/27/15 05:20 PM

Yea I saw more snakes at Cedar Creek last weekend than I have seen at all other lakes combined this year. I dunno if the rapid rise in water level is causing them to be active or what but I don't like it.
Posted By: Scott in Flower Mound

Re: Snake chased us at Cedar Creek - 04/27/15 05:28 PM

Yea I saw more snakes at Cedar Creek last weekend than I have seen at all other lakes combined this year. I dunno if the rapid rise in water level is causing them to be active or what but I don't like it.

In Hoc Signo Vinces cheers

Re: Snake chased us at Cedar Creek - 04/27/15 05:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Scott in Flower Mound

In Hoc Signo Vinces cheers

I have been waiting on a Sig to comment! In Hoc.
Posted By: wacopops

Re: Snake chased us at Cedar Creek - 04/27/15 06:13 PM

Must have had young.
Posted By: Duck Hawkins

Re: Snake chased us at Cedar Creek - 04/27/15 09:08 PM

Turn the boat around so he can climb up on the outboard. Have the outboard full tilt up and when he get half way on the motor, START IT UP! Snake chili meat for tacos! yummy.
Posted By: Jimmy Harrison

Re: Snake chased us at Cedar Creek - 04/28/15 12:29 AM

This was on the back deck of my dads boat at Cedar Creek this past weekend. I'm sure glad I wasn't there because I would have messed all over my pants! lol
Posted By: largemouthokie

Re: Snake chased us at Cedar Creek - 04/28/15 07:23 PM

Fished broken bow last week and saw the biggest rattlesnake I have ever seen swimming across a cove. Did not know they would swim like that. Looked to be about 5 foot long. Bunch of rattles. All the high water had him on the move I guess. My partner wanted to kill it with my landing net. But it was my boat and I said no way!
Posted By: rob4

Re: Snake chased us at Cedar Creek - 04/28/15 08:51 PM

There were a couple guys in our channel on the lower west side of Cedar Creek this weekend, came in idling real fast, fished, then then gunned the motor on the way out. When I yelled at them for gunning it, they pointed to a 3-4 foot Texas diamond-back water snake (non-poisonous) swimming, to one side of them. Water being up definitely has them moving around.

Re: Snake chased us at Cedar Creek - 04/28/15 09:18 PM

Originally Posted By: rob4
There were a couple guys in our channel on the lower west side of Cedar Creek this weekend, came in idling real fast, fished, then then gunned the motor on the way out. When I yelled at them for gunning it, they pointed to a 3-4 foot Texas diamond-back water snake (non-poisonous) swimming, to one side of them. Water being up definitely has them moving around.

Haha that was not us because we just jumped on the trolling motor to evade the snake chasing us. But I was about ready to fire up that big motor if I need to!! I would not have cared who's fishing I messed up if that snake came any closer.
Posted By: SIR-FISH-LOT

Re: Snake chased us at Cedar Creek - 04/28/15 10:27 PM

That the reason I sold my kayak. Don't like snakes can't paddle faster enough.
Posted By: NitroUSAF

Re: Snake chased us at Cedar Creek - 04/29/15 12:51 PM

Originally Posted By: djones03
I thought that was the reason we are required to carry an oar onboard. One solid whack with a wooden oar and you won't have to worry about anything but finding new shorts.

my thoughts and actions exactly...one good wack and back to fishing
Posted By: Pop751

Re: Snake chased us at Cedar Creek - 04/29/15 03:09 PM

+1
Posted By: MBDLAW

Re: Snake chased us at Cedar Creek - 04/30/15 08:03 AM

just curious if you mean the first cove at SW corner with houses and a boat ramp at the end - that's where i am directly across from two empty lots with good brush - been spotting snakes almost daily for over a week now - they swim from the brush across the cove - never seen so many in such a short amount of time

Re: Snake chased us at Cedar Creek - 04/30/15 08:32 AM

We were in the very first cove, there were no houses. The next cove to the north was the first one with houses. But agreed, I've never seen that many snakes moving before.
Posted By: The Lake Fork Rain God

Re: Snake chased us at Cedar Creek - 04/30/15 01:26 PM

We passed a dock while working the bank at Fork last week and they had big rubber snakes all over it to keep the birds off. As we were coming out of the pocket the owners had come down to fish and we joked they should look out for all the snakes. The fella said one of his friends had come down to fish their dock and put two .38 holes in one of the "snakes" and his dock before he figured out they were scarecrows. And that snake wasn't even chasing anyone!
Posted By: Mantooth

Re: Snake chased us at Cedar Creek - 05/01/15 06:14 PM

We saw snakes as well that weekend, but no worries in a center console. Freeboard nice and high.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum