Texas Fishing Forum

Can someone answer this for me?

Posted By: MidloMan

Can someone answer this for me? - 04/25/15 11:00 PM

So today I went out fishing, and right off the bat the weirdest thing was happening. So the first time it was on a buzz bait I was just pulling the bait out of the water and a bass jumped out and tried to grab it. This happened about 12 more times on chatterbaits, jigs, trigs, crankbaits, and weightless flukes. I tried slowing down the presentation, but nothing seemed to help. Why was that happening? Btw none of the fish were caught and I ended up only catching 2 all day frown
Posted By: Lil joe

Re: Can someone answer this for me? - 04/25/15 11:13 PM

The fish may have been holding right where your boat was positioned? Maybe if you backed off the spot where your boat was and casted to that spot you would have caught them? Last year I was fishing a a brushpile at the bottom of a 8-16 foot ledge with my boat positioned at the top of the ledge. We were getting bit on our c rigs and shaky heads right under the boat every cast, apparently they were stacked up at the top of the break line
Posted By: woolyhogtail

Re: Can someone answer this for me? - 04/25/15 11:23 PM

Maybe when you pulled it out of the water they thought it was getting away? Maybe should have tried a burn and kill retrieve
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Can someone answer this for me? - 04/25/15 11:24 PM

Happens to me on occasion from the bank. Usually they are chasing it though and I can slow down and catch them.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Can someone answer this for me? - 04/25/15 11:30 PM

Ask Papamark for advice. I believe it is called "FIGURE-8".
Posted By: Peepaw on Fork

Re: Can someone answer this for me? - 04/26/15 12:01 AM

Buzzbait time
Posted By: Rube G.

Re: Can someone answer this for me? - 04/26/15 12:51 AM

Hang several trailer hooks on that Buzzbait.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Can someone answer this for me? - 04/26/15 02:24 AM

I speed up when that happens. They were probably following all the way to the boat.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Can someone answer this for me? - 04/26/15 05:31 AM

Had that same type bite on Palestine yesterday afternoon. Try keeping rod tip high (11 o'clock) on retrieve so that you will have to lower and reel up slack as rod loads up (causing slight delay) before setting hook. In that position you won't be tempted to set hook right away when you get blasted.
Posted By: papamark

Re: Can someone answer this for me? - 04/26/15 08:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
Ask Papamark for advice. I believe it is called "FIGURE-8".

It does work sometimes - woot
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Can someone answer this for me? - 04/26/15 03:29 PM

They are likely using the boat as an ambush point. They may be follwing, but not willing to strike, your boat comes up and they see a chance to trap the bait. They may be using the boat for shade or cover too.
Muskie fisherman do the figure 8 to hookup on fish. Very common for muskie to follow up to the boat and make a strike as the lure comes out.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum