Texas Fishing Forum

Texoma

Posted By: Danny L. Weems

Texoma - 04/24/15 05:28 PM

Going up tomorrow morning to get in one day of pre-fishing before the Rayovac tournament next week.
I have never been on the lake and don't have any idea of what baits work this time of year.
This is the their last event for the Texas region and since I'm fishing as a co-angler I will not have any say so about where I fish but I would like to narrow my tackle selection down.
Any tips for a co-angler on Texoma would be greatly appreciated.
I'm currently in 21st place in the standings and would like to secure a place in the no entry fee Championship on the Ohio River on October.
Posted By: Bissett

Re: Texoma - 04/24/15 05:40 PM

I fish a lake that's pretty similar in the fact that you can do about anything and catch any type of bass. We were catching smallies on the lower end on tubes and largemouth on jigs. Weightless senkos pretty much anywhere for largemouth and spots. I'd try out a wiggle wart as well
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Texoma - 04/24/15 05:47 PM

Finesse presentations from the back of the boat will be what you probably should focus on. If boater is not fishing backs of creeks or the rivers, the water is CLEAR, usually 10-20 foot visibility! If you can see them, the fish are skittish! Not sure the rules on A-Rigs, but add in swim baits and jigs. Muddy water because of the rain can produce too, black/blue or PB&J jigs near shallow structure/cover.
Posted By: Bissett

Re: Texoma - 04/24/15 05:57 PM

Might try a weightless Caffine Shad in that clearer water too. They'll come out of the depths to eat one of those!
Posted By: Mike Zachary

Re: Texoma - 04/24/15 06:01 PM

I would have a spook or yellow magic and swim a white jig around the docks. They are coming off the spawn and the shad will start spawning around the docks.
Posted By: snickers

Re: Texoma - 04/24/15 06:12 PM

so the spawn is over ?
Originally Posted By: Mike Zachary
I would have a spook or yellow magic and swim a white jig around the docks. They are coming off the spawn and the shad will start spawning around the docks.
Posted By: MikeSouza

Re: Texoma - 04/24/15 07:17 PM

Take your confident baits for all different types of fishing. Some areas of the lake are really clear, can see 10-12' down. Other areas are 3-8' visibility and then some are 1 inch to 2 ft visibility. Fish are in all three stages of spawn. Take flipping baits for flooded vegetation, dock baits, clear water baits, dirty water baits, etc. One day your pro might run you way out west and flip dirty water. The next day you might run towards dam and finesse fish very clear water or run docks all day in marinas with blades.

Just be prepared for all types of fishing. Lake has been rising quite a bit and we have been getting pounded with rain all day today with more on the way.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Texoma - 04/24/15 08:25 PM

It's a little wet up here today
Posted By: Danny L. Weems

Re: Texoma - 04/24/15 08:41 PM

Thanks guys! It sounds like I will need my large tackle bag for this trip.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum