Texas Fishing Forum

Noticed fishing line wrapped in prop

Posted By: Corey C. Metroplex Insurance

Noticed fishing line wrapped in prop - 04/23/15 04:19 PM

I just noticed it when I got home yesterday, just a little tag end sticking out. Is this cause for major concern?

Re: Noticed fishing line wrapped in prop - 04/23/15 04:20 PM

Looks to be a lot in there though.
Posted By: Mike Yeager

Re: Noticed fishing line wrapped in prop - 04/23/15 04:20 PM

I'd remove it.
Posted By: FMJshooter

Re: Noticed fishing line wrapped in prop - 04/23/15 04:26 PM

Pull the prop and see if it made it's way to the seal if it did I'd go ahead and put a new one in if not no biggie.
Posted By: Matt1212

Re: Noticed fishing line wrapped in prop - 04/23/15 04:26 PM

Remove the prop and take it off. Should be OK. There is slight chance seal could be nicked
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Noticed fishing line wrapped in prop - 04/23/15 04:29 PM

Pull the prop and remove!

May want to check the lower unit oil just to see if its milky at all. If it is, I would see about getting the seals changed out. If not, rock on!
Posted By: GarySHO

Re: Noticed fishing line wrapped in prop - 04/23/15 04:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Fish Killer
Pull the prop and remove!

May want to check the lower unit oil just to see if its milky at all. If it is, I would see about getting the seals changed out. If not, rock on!

Re: Noticed fishing line wrapped in prop - 04/23/15 04:55 PM

Thanks guys, gonna go ahead and change the lower unit oil while its apart. Do you have to use a pump like a bug sprayer to get new oil in or is there another way?
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Noticed fishing line wrapped in prop - 04/23/15 04:59 PM

You have to use a pump. They're around $5-$10 at wal-mart.
Posted By: Lmgreeri

Re: Noticed fishing line wrapped in prop - 04/23/15 05:22 PM

Had a marine mechanic tell me once the best preventive maintenance and one of the easiest is to remove your props from time to time and check for string which eats up the seals. Costs a pretty penny to fix if you don't and oh so quick & easy to prevent. Mono isn't so bad but with everyone using super braid it is becoming a bigger and bigger issue. Of course he is happy to take the business of those to lazy to do this quick check. wink
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Noticed fishing line wrapped in prop - 04/23/15 06:24 PM

It is a pump that screws on to the oil bottle and they sell them with the correct thread pattern for your motor. Just remove both screws, fill from the bottom until it starts to come out of the top hole.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Noticed fishing line wrapped in prop - 04/23/15 08:29 PM

yes,remove it.
Posted By: kellisag

Re: Noticed fishing line wrapped in prop - 04/23/15 09:01 PM

saw some hanging out of mine when I loaded the boat once last summer, pulled the prop when I got home and had at least 3 monos, some braid and 2 different trot lines that I would of never known were in there if it wasn't for the neon green mono hanging out.

Pull the prop and check it every couple of trips now.
Posted By: FMJshooter

Re: Noticed fishing line wrapped in prop - 04/23/15 09:27 PM

Trot lines are the worst. Amazing how much junk is out there. One time at the ramp I saw a bit of mono on a rock so I started pulling it in, long story short I must have been winding it up with a stick for a good 15 minutes fella musta dropped a 300+ yard spool over the side when he took off and unraveled the whole thing across the lake.
Posted By: wormy1

Re: Noticed fishing line wrapped in prop - 04/23/15 09:38 PM

I'd buy a new boat and motor !!!

Re: Noticed fishing line wrapped in prop - 04/24/15 05:58 PM

So I drained and refilled all the oil, got all the line off, didn't look like it got in seal. But I honestly don't know what milky oil looks like. I'm no mechanic. If I post a pic of my old oil could yall tell me?

Re: Noticed fishing line wrapped in prop - 04/24/15 06:17 PM

milky oil looks like chocolate milk. Typical gear oil is dark black

Re: Noticed fishing line wrapped in prop - 04/24/15 06:28 PM

Mine was green when I put it in. And the new Mercury oil I used today was green.

Re: Noticed fishing line wrapped in prop - 04/24/15 06:45 PM

If it was the same color going in as what's coming out then your fine.

Re: Noticed fishing line wrapped in prop - 04/24/15 09:08 PM

Its darker....
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: Noticed fishing line wrapped in prop - 04/24/15 09:15 PM

Darker is normal. Unless it's black from over heating or looks like coffee with tons on creamer you're fine. Rock on.
Posted By: DKennimer

Re: Noticed fishing line wrapped in prop - 04/24/15 09:20 PM

For peace of mind, change the LU oil again after your next trip or two to make sure it's not getting water intrusion. Cheap insurance. If it is, get the seal replaced. Also, you might check your owners manual to see if after filling, you need to let 1-1 1/2 oz out. Some LU's require this for expansion reasons, so you don't blow your seal. Very important if yours is one of those.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum