Texas Fishing Forum

Ribbit Frogs?

Posted By: Smurfs

Ribbit Frogs? - 04/23/15 04:08 PM

Though I have not had much success with Ribbit frogs, I know they work. I love to throw top water and I love to throw frogs. I must be doing something wrong, please help. Weighted or weightless? What colors due you like? Do you retrieve like a buzz bait, or slower letting it drop here and there?
Thanks for any input!
Posted By: UTDmiller

Re: Ribbit Frogs? - 04/23/15 04:11 PM

I normally go weightless with a 5/0 hook, and work its fast like a buzz bait. I tend to use the floating frogs, like spro, more often because I feel it is way more versatile in action
Posted By: captain-kilroy

Re: Ribbit Frogs? - 04/23/15 04:19 PM

I use them with the weighted ribbit double hook. I like to run them just under the surface over the top of grass or moss. I have had pretty good success with them this year. If I can't get them to hit a spro frog, but really know the fish are in the grass I will let it crawl over the grass. Caught some nice ones on Palestine two weeks ago by throwing the ribbit into the really short green grass and crawling it out. I start reeling as soon as it hits the water so it doesn't sink into the grass. I love them just after dark too.
Posted By: Matt1212

Re: Ribbit Frogs? - 04/23/15 04:29 PM

I use a single frog hook, sometimes weighted, sometimes not. Work whatever pace you want to keep it on surface. Main thing, like most topwaters, is not to jerk immediately on blow-up. I use braid too
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: Ribbit Frogs? - 04/23/15 04:41 PM

Double take 5/0 weighted on ribbit frog. And on the top toad. Keep your eyes out. Hear say is they are fixing to be producing a extra heavy double take because we kept loosing fish over 8. It is a beast!!!
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Ribbit Frogs? - 04/23/15 05:44 PM

Its about time someone made a heavy one. Im tired of making my own lol. Owner does have a solid frog hook now though
Posted By: gutcheck

Re: Ribbit Frogs? - 04/23/15 06:21 PM

I like some clouds and a little ripple for the buzzfrogs. Occasionally they'll work well with sunny high skies but not very often in my experience. Like a buzzbait, I'm making 40-50 casts in high percentage areas like matted hydrilla, pads, flooded terrestrial grass, along the edge of tulles or just down a bank with some cover on it, even rip rap. If i get nothing I'm switching to a hollow body and slowing down. For the original nonfloating version of the ribbit I use a single hook with a screw lock keeper usually in 4/0 or 5/0. Gammy makes a good one but you have to squeeze the keeper's eye tighter to the hook eye or the spring can shake off real easily during a fight. For the top toads I'll use the 4/0 double take hook. The top toads are awesome over emergent grass but once they hit the pads they hang up a lot more. Snagproof makes a hollow version with kicking legs that is lighter and comes over junk better than all of them. Can't cast it as far though...

They're not gonna eat a frog, fast or slow, every day, but when they do it's fun. Just be patient, make sure you're throwing it in good spots with low skies and you'll start catching them. But if they're not into it put it away...

Re: Ribbit Frogs? - 04/23/15 11:28 PM

I havnt had any issues with the top toads in Lilly pads. Would you mind elaborating? Just curious, might be able to help.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Ribbit Frogs? - 04/24/15 12:58 AM

I have had as many as 4 different colors tied on during tournaments. The color choices they like seem to change every day.

- Best result has been with WHITE.
- The BLACK frog with heavy glitter is good.
- The WATERMELON/RED with ORANGE BELLY is very good when the pressure is up and storms around the area.
- The BLACK/CHART. belly has produced good also in dirty stained water.
Posted By: tstick

Re: Ribbit Frogs? - 04/24/15 02:47 AM

Caught an 8.6 on one.they work good over grass.
Posted By: Phototex

Re: Ribbit Frogs? - 04/24/15 03:10 AM

I caught my PB, a 9-04, on a blue/black Ribbit frog on April 1st under cloudy skies with no wind. I always use a weighted double hook, but that can cause a lot of weed problems if you bend the hooks out much at all. I like the big ones better, and usually throw the black with red flakes. I retrieve them through the pads at whatever speed makes the most noise. Don't forget to keep your rod at about the 10:00 position, and when you get a strike, reel down and feel the fish before setting the hook- but then set it hard. Recommend 65 lb braid tied directly to the hook.
Posted By: Samuel Ragle

Re: Ribbit Frogs? - 04/24/15 04:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Smurfs
Though I have not had much success with Ribbit frogs, I know they work. I love to throw top water and I love to throw frogs. I must be doing something wrong, please help. Weighted or weightless? What colors due you like? Do you retrieve like a buzz bait, or slower letting it drop here and there?
Thanks for any input!
throw weightless over grass, pads, brush, bushes, etc. even docks. The color I've had best results with is always white. Keep the double hook inside just below the legs and as you retrieve keep it fast enough to stay on the top of the water. But you want that trail of bubbles following it. When they hit 1.2..3 set the hook. For me braid works best but I have caught them using mono, so if you don't want to switch. Rod, I prefer using a 7ft rod, but I have used 6ft and still caught. Use can use a single EWG hook if you do not want the double take, however I suggest you get a few, they make hookups and cast much much easier
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Ribbit Frogs? - 04/24/15 04:56 AM

I use a single hook with a screw lock. Either a 4 or 5/0. I've had the most success with white but have also used some shade of green with a light gray or silver belly. I haven't started throwing them yet and I can't remember. I keep it on top of the water and change speeds to just fast enough to keep it on top to as fast as I can get it back. Depends on what they want.

I always throw it weightless. One time I got a serious backlash on my first cast of the day when I forgot to change my reel settings. The frog sank as I was tending to the backlash and in a few seconds I watched as something carried it away from the bank very quickly but I could do anything about it because my reel had line going in every direction.
Posted By: Jigfish

Re: Ribbit Frogs? - 04/24/15 01:39 PM

5/O owner hook with screw in lock
Posted By: gutcheck

Re: Ribbit Frogs? - 04/24/15 01:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo
I havnt had any issues with the top toads in Lilly pads. Would you mind elaborating? Just curious, might be able to help.

Well in thick pads where you have to crawl it over them from time to time the heavier weight of the top toads and the way the hook points can pull away from the body when working it over cover means those hook points catch a lot, at least where I was fishing last summer and fall. The top toads are great and that hook design means better hook ups in more open situations but for me there are better options in thick pads. JMO
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Ribbit Frogs? - 04/24/15 04:19 PM

I've had issues with the ribbits turning upside down, especially when I try to slow them down. Would a weighted hook help eliminate this? I've never tried a weighted hook and have just dealt with it because it isn't the end of the world for me, but is annoying sometimes.
Posted By: jcarring99

Re: Ribbit Frogs? - 04/24/15 05:10 PM

I know this will be a stupid question but are they mainly an early morning, late in the day type of baits? I'm assuming they don't do that great on a clear day in the middle of the day?
Posted By: natebzy

Re: Ribbit Frogs? - 04/24/15 05:25 PM

pretty much like a top toad but a lil different is the scum frog big foot .. hollow bodied but still has the rubber legs for water displacement.. u can retrieve it fast or work it like a traditional hollow body.. i usaully go with a twitch twitch pause or twitch twitch twitch pause or mix the two.. black body with charteuse legs.. i like it better than a top toad bc the hooks are already rigged on it.
Posted By: hawghoover

Re: Ribbit Frogs? - 04/24/15 07:27 PM

work good for me.catch some real big bass with them.
Posted By: Sooner Claus

Re: Ribbit Frogs? - 04/24/15 07:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Coach JC
I know this will be a stupid question but are they mainly an early morning, late in the day type of baits? I'm assuming they don't do that great on a clear day in the middle of the day?

I've had some good days with them over thick grass on sunny days.

Re: Ribbit Frogs? - 04/24/15 08:39 PM

Originally Posted By: gutcheck
Originally Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Well in thick pads where you have to crawl it over them from time to time the heavier weight of the top toads and the way the hook points can pull away from the body when working it over cover means those hook points catch a lot, at least where I was fishing last summer and fall. The top toads are great and that hook design means better hook ups in more open situations but for me there are better options in thick pads. JMO

Hymm just trying to help. Last spring I learned to spread the double take hook out and hook the points into the sides of the top toad. This really helps with hook ups. Ill try to get some pictures tonight of the way I hook it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum