Texas Fishing Forum

Cobra Bass Boats

Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Cobra Bass Boats - 04/23/15 01:50 AM

Thoughts? I know they went under and know a guy who had 2 in which his transom broke off running the lake. I am in the market for a new boat and seen a few for sale lately.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Cobra Bass Boats - 04/23/15 02:37 AM

If worried about the transom (only) take it to a good boat or glass shop and check it out or just get it rebuilt from the get-go. Buy a boat for a $5K discount and spend $3K on a gone through reinforced / rebuilt transom. You gotta be asking about them because the price seems so "reasonable".

Good hulls that are based on Ranger's 488 model hulls. John Storie boat design.
Posted By: tx_basser

Re: Cobra Bass Boats - 04/23/15 02:39 AM

I have a 201 and it is solid.
Posted By: crankn101

Re: Cobra Bass Boats - 04/23/15 02:40 AM

Nice boats in my opinion.
Posted By: FMJshooter

Re: Cobra Bass Boats - 04/23/15 02:48 AM

I like my 201 runs great in all conditions and fishes nice n flat. Non coosa models are built with wood and they used the same two piece splash well drains that killed many a Champion transom. Boats are built really well think the transom is 2" thick and pretty darn wide with big braces plus Viper used the best resins available. Wet wood will kill anything though so just have it checked if it's dry no worries!
Posted By: Dosser

Re: Cobra Bass Boats - 04/23/15 02:51 AM

Known plenty of guys that owned them, and all had nothing but good things to say about them
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Cobra Bass Boats - 04/23/15 02:57 AM

Used to run a 2001, 201. My partner still has it. No issues. We had a deck box insert so the front deck was like a battleship. Ride is a little, well a lot wet but other than that thought it was a great little boat. It would gps mid 60s with a 200hp on it, thats full load 2 people. I'm sure a 250 on one would fly.
Posted By: jcarring99

Re: Cobra Bass Boats - 04/23/15 02:57 AM

Originally Posted By: I'm...Clingy!
Known plenty of guys that owned them, and all had nothing but good things to say about them

Ditto
Posted By: pro dirt raker

Re: Cobra Bass Boats - 04/23/15 03:02 AM

My 96' 201 has been good to me. Big front deck with extension can fish three easy, runs great in rough water (not the driest ride by any means though). That other bass boat forum has a whole sub forum devoted to the boat, even has a few guys that worked at the plant, great resource for info.
Posted By: JMac-D

Re: Cobra Bass Boats - 04/23/15 03:03 AM

A friend of mine has one, loves it.
Posted By: Gungle

Re: Cobra Bass Boats - 04/23/15 03:48 AM

I purchased a new 2001 Cobra Coosa 216/XB250 from Bowie Marine in 2001. I have a lot of hours on it and it has been a really good boat. The factory in Mountain Home called me in 2002 and said if I wanted to pull back there they would install a 12" set-back on the jack plate. No transom problems after all these years.
It will run 78mph loaded with just me (250 lb). That XB drinks gas (about 3 mpg @ 3200 revs) but has been a good motor. I parked it next to a Legend 211 at Falcon a few years ago and the hulls look to be identical (that should start some $hit ).

Cheers,

George
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: Cobra Bass Boats - 04/23/15 04:00 AM

Wasn't cobra and fisher both designed by Randy Qualls......?
Posted By: Dosser

Re: Cobra Bass Boats - 04/23/15 04:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

I don't know about him, but I know John Storie had a lot of influence on the Cobra, Fisher, and Hawk bass boats.

I heard legend bought the hawk molds to start making their LE series boats years ago. Looking at pro crafts, they seem to have a very similar design to all of these hulls, but I don't know if Storie had anything to do with them
Posted By: FMJshooter

Re: Cobra Bass Boats - 04/23/15 05:12 AM

Word is it went Ranger 482 -cobra- hawk - legend.
Posted By: Harleydude

Re: Cobra Bass Boats - 04/23/15 06:44 AM

I had a 1997 Cobra 188D. It was a great boat and served me well for 12 years. I would not be afraid of a well kept used Cobra.
Posted By: East Bay Guide Jeff Brandon

Re: Cobra Bass Boats - 04/23/15 01:00 PM

My father owns a 201 with a 225, fishes great and rides very good. His is a 2000 and has no stress cracks whatsoever.
Posted By: Greatwhitefather

Re: Cobra Bass Boats - 04/23/15 01:18 PM

Great boats. For those in the know, a highly desired boat if we'll taken care of!
Posted By: SCHOOLINSHADATTACK

Re: Cobra Bass Boats - 04/23/15 02:21 PM

I have owned a 98 201-D for the last 8 years. Very well kept other than the stump kisses from Fork. I still get compliments on that boat. Very solid rig!!
Posted By: Bissett

Re: Cobra Bass Boats - 04/23/15 02:55 PM

I love the look of the Cobras and the way they ride. They almost remind me of a Legend. I even looked at a couple and was serious about buying one but he didn;t want to meet me for a test ride so I wan't about to do that. The only consistent thing I have heard to watch out for on Cobras is the transon but if you can get it checked out then you should be good. You probably shouldn't be buying any boat without checking the transon for that matter
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: Cobra Bass Boats - 04/23/15 04:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Harleydude
I had a 1997 Cobra 188D. It was a great boat and served me well for 12 years. I would not be afraid of a well kept used Cobra.

I have a 1999 Cobra 18'8D and love it. Better than the old nitro.
Posted By: krawlin 47

Re: Cobra Bass Boats - 04/23/15 04:48 PM

I had a 1997 and a 2001 201D - both were super boats - great value.

I have a buddy with a 2001 and a 250 on the back - never had an issue with a stress crack never mind a failure as described.

Somebody is bumping stumps a little too hard I would think - I have been known to do that! scared

Re: Cobra Bass Boats - 04/23/15 04:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Gungle

I purchased a new 2001 Cobra Coosa 216/XB250 from Bowie Marine in 2001. I have a lot of hours on it and it has been a really good boat. The factory in Mountain Home called me in 2002 and said if I wanted to pull back there they would install a 12" set-back on the jack plate. No transom problems after all these years.
It will run 78mph loaded with just me (250 lb). That XB drinks gas (about 3 mpg @ 3200 revs) but has been a good motor. I parked it next to a Legend 211 at Falcon a few years ago and the hulls look to be identical (that should start some $hit ).

Cheers,

George

/\ Perfectly stated ... my buddy has the XB and empty with two guys in it will run over 80 mph
Posted By: kluke

Re: Cobra Bass Boats - 04/23/15 04:50 PM

solid boats. WET ride
Posted By: txsuperman

Re: Cobra Bass Boats - 04/23/15 07:48 PM

Originally Posted By: kluke
solid boats. WET ride

TRUE.
I have a '03 Cobra Coosa 201D . Love the boat, but it gets a little wet. I've punished that boat pretty hard and it has held up. No problems at all with the transom. with just me and the jack plate right, it'll do 70+

Re: Cobra Bass Boats - 04/23/15 09:59 PM

Originally Posted By: kluke
solid boats. WET ride

So now that I have a Skeeter its a breeze to stay dry! The boat will teach you how to drive to stay dry.
Posted By: manhunter

Re: Cobra Bass Boats - 04/23/15 11:38 PM

I don't know about him, but I know John Storie had a lot of influence on the Cobra, Fisher, and Hawk bass boats.

I heard legend bought the hawk molds to start making their LE series boats years ago. Looking at pro crafts, they seem to have a very similar design to all of these hulls, but I don't know if Storie had anything to do with them

Spot on...John Storie designed and well done at that.
Posted By: Allison1

Re: Cobra Bass Boats - 04/23/15 11:53 PM

Originally Posted By: manhunter

Not what I heard, from a reliable source. The only boat Story designed was the original Champion, 16'8" back in the 70's.
The first Cobra/Viper/Fisher boats he built was based on a Ranger 482 which he added a turning chine and increased the lifting strakes. There is a good write up by Pat Goff in the Champion forum on the BBC. He should know.
These boats went out, sold to build Legends, sold to Randy Qualls in Texas then back to Arkansas.
Posted By: ChrisBlackmon95

Re: Cobra Bass Boats - 04/24/15 12:57 AM

I have a 1998 Cobra with a Johnson 200 and 8 have absolutely nothing bad to say about it. Solid
Posted By: HasBen

Re: Cobra Bass Boats - 04/24/15 01:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Allison1
Originally Posted By: manhunter

Not what I heard, from a reliable source. The only boat Story designed was the original Champion, 16'8" back in the 70's.
The first Cobra/Viper/Fisher boats he built was based on a Ranger 482 which he added a turning chine and increased the lifting strakes. There is a good write up by Pat Goff in the Champion forum on the BBC. He should know.
These boats went out, sold to build Legends, sold to Randy Qualls in Texas then back to Arkansas

Allison is correct. John Stories legend is like a lot of "legends", but the facts tend to get in the way. That being said, if a Cobra checked out structurally, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. I thought they were nice looking boats.
Posted By: BJH ( JUST JIGGING)

Re: Cobra Bass Boats - 04/24/15 01:28 AM

Who started the original "Cobra Bass Boat" company in the late 70's or early 80's????
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Cobra Bass Boats - 04/24/15 01:58 AM

They share some DNA with legend and before them hawk, I don't know if this is the reason they seem to bring better than average retail price for used boats their age.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum