Texas Fishing Forum

SAFETY TIP !!!!

Posted By: skeeter james

SAFETY TIP !!!! - 04/22/15 02:48 AM

Here is a experience from this past weekend I want to share with everyone so hopefully you don't end up like I did:

Been out bass fishing for several hours and I told my buddy that was with me "let's go somewhere else ". I have a lowrance hds 7 mounted on the front deck beside the trolling motor recess tray. As we startedttrolling out of where we were, the trolling motor bumped a stump under water. No big deal, happens occasionally. Well, it knocked me a little off balance. No big deal again, except that the main motor had gotten tangled on a big limb under water at the same time. So as I stumble a little all the sudden the limb pulls the boat back like a spring!! Over the front of the boat I went....
Normally it wouldn't be a big deal BUT, my foot got hooked under my ram mount as I was falling. So I'm head under water with my foot stuck under that mount....
My arm is bruised like you wouldn't believe and I have a big gash in my leg from the screws on the bottom side of the ram mount.
If my buddy had no have been with me, I believe I would have drowned..
Big thanks to Hoy!!!!

So, my point is guys, try and make sure there is nothing you can get tangled or hung up on in case this should happen to you.

Sorry for the ramble, BE SAFE PEOPLE !!!!!
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: SAFETY TIP !!!! - 04/22/15 02:54 AM

WOW. Great story. It could have ended much worse; but glad you survived the ordeal. Thanks for sharing
Posted By: TwoLakes

Re: SAFETY TIP !!!! - 04/22/15 03:00 AM

Not a good situation. Sounds like you could have broken your ankle/leg in that predicament. Glad you are OK.

Re: SAFETY TIP !!!! - 04/22/15 03:07 AM

Thanks guys! Yes sir, at first my buddy thought it had broken my leg. But it was the way my leg was hung and the screws stuck in my leg that had me where I couldn't move.
Posted By: borntofish1

Re: SAFETY TIP !!!! - 04/22/15 03:55 AM

I have actually thought about this happening before. Since you have brought it up, I think this exact same thing can happen while fishing solo and your rod strap is in place holding rods with treble hooks lures, you fall over from lack of balance. Your shoe is caught in lure that is strapped down making it impossible to fall in completely leading to drowning.

This has never happened, but easily could. Especially, for you guys like me with multiple cranking rods on deck while fishing out deep in high wind unstable condition solo.For that reason, I always release my rod straps after getting to my spot.

Just my thoughts.

Re: SAFETY TIP !!!! - 04/22/15 04:08 AM

Borntofish, excellent point, thanks for adding that !!!
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: SAFETY TIP !!!! - 04/22/15 04:10 AM

Glad you didn't get seriously injured or worse. Bruises and cuts will heel. Plus, you and Hoy need to take a few Fridays off any how.
I put that limb there so you and Hoy would stay off my hole.

Re: SAFETY TIP !!!! - 04/22/15 04:37 AM

Haha, something told me you had something to do with it.... See you Friday!!
Posted By: FMJshooter

Re: SAFETY TIP !!!! - 04/22/15 12:53 PM

Crazy stuff. I always keep a buttseat upfront and lean on it when moving, three points of contact is always better than two.
Posted By: BassSAT

Re: SAFETY TIP !!!! - 04/22/15 01:28 PM

I had a incident happen to me, I was fishing Lake Austin solo, I was getting ready to move from that spot to
another, when I grab the trolling motor cord to pick it up it busted half way up and I go flying off the boat,
hit my back on the gunnel then into the water...

I know have those stainless steel trolling motor cables you buy at Academy...
Posted By: Bissett

Re: SAFETY TIP !!!! - 04/22/15 02:47 PM

Dang that's scary. I'm more worried of fallign off the boat on top of a sharp stump than getting my foot hung on something but I guess it could definitely happen.
Posted By: redskeet100

Re: SAFETY TIP !!!! - 04/22/15 05:48 PM

Crazy, glad you are alright. I never used to fear stuff when fishing alone, but since having kids and getting a little older I am way more overly cautious and nervous about stuff happening while out alone.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum