Texas Fishing Forum

guys help me out.

Posted By: coachallentca

guys help me out. - 04/20/15 09:26 PM

Is it state law that you have to have your running lights on 30 minutes after sunrise ( and 30 minutes before sunset)? I can't find the law.
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: guys help me out. - 04/20/15 09:33 PM

I think that it's 15, but that is just what I was told, so that is what I do.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: guys help me out. - 04/20/15 09:47 PM

From their website

All vessels including motorboats, sailboats, canoes, kayaks, punts, rowboats, rubber rafts, or other vessels when not at dock must have and exhibit at least one bright light, lantern or flashlight visible all around the horizon from sunset to sunrise in all weather and during restricted visibility.

Re: guys help me out. - 04/20/15 10:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam
From their website

All vessels including motorboats, sailboats, canoes, kayaks, punts, rowboats, rubber rafts, or other vessels when not at dock must have and exhibit at least one bright light, lantern or flashlight visible all around the horizon from sunset to sunrise in all weather and during restricted visibility.

Yea I saw that but I swear I read a law about you have to have your running lights 30 minutes sunrise
Posted By: East ex roadrunner

Re: guys help me out. - 04/20/15 10:13 PM

A game warden told me 30 minutes before sunrise and 30 after same as shooting time... That's been a couple years so could have changed

Re: guys help me out. - 04/20/15 10:22 PM

Originally Posted By: East ex roadrunner
A game warden told me 30 minutes before sunrise and 30 after same as shooting time... That's been a couple years so could have changed

That's what I thought but can't find it in writing
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: guys help me out. - 04/20/15 10:31 PM

I just asked my little cousin, she is a game warden in Del Rio. It is 30 min before sunrise and on again 30 min before sunset.

Re: guys help me out. - 04/20/15 10:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Bass Buster1
I just asked my little cousin, she is a game warden in Del Rio. It is 30 min before sunrise and on again 30 min before sunset.

Thank but I need to see the law. Someone does not believe me.
Posted By: YankHardReelFast

Re: guys help me out. - 04/20/15 11:18 PM

You can turn them off 30 minutes before sunrise but have to have them on 30 before sunset?

This makes no sense. That would mean I could turn them off at 6:20am.

Re: guys help me out. - 04/20/15 11:27 PM

Originally Posted By: YankHardReelFast

You can turn them off 30 minutes before sunrise but have to have them on 30 before sunset?

LOL I did not catch that. I think he meant to say 30 min. after sunrise.
Posted By: heybaylor

Re: guys help me out. - 04/20/15 11:41 PM

Originally Posted By: coachallentca
Is it state law that you have to have your running lights on 30 minutes after sunrise ( and 30 minutes before sunset)? I can't find the law.

No the law says sunset to sunrise .

there is a 30 min after sunset , and 30 minutes before sunrise pertaining to water skiing, and towing folfs
Posted By: Paul Jeffcoat

Re: guys help me out. - 04/20/15 11:41 PM

Either way... I turn them on when it's until after the sun comes up and way before sunset just to be on the safe side and even in the Fog!
Posted By: trippbo

Re: guys help me out. - 04/21/15 12:14 AM

I went to tpwd website and it says dusk to dawn...30 before and 30 after may just be along the lines of "practical advice" after many wardens arguing with folks about whether the sun was actually up or not.

http://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/boat/safety/vessel_requirements/

Re: guys help me out. - 04/21/15 12:30 AM

Originally Posted By: trippbo
I went to tpwd website and it says dusk to dawn...30 before and 30 after may just be along the lines of "practical advice" after many wardens arguing with folks about whether the sun was actually up or not.

http://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/boat/safety/vessel_requirements/

That's what I see also..
Posted By: COHLMEYER

Re: guys help me out. - 04/21/15 02:00 AM

Lot of folks on fork dont know this law either. smile
The number of boats out at dark and shortly after with no lights on was sickening.

Re: guys help me out. - 04/21/15 02:19 AM

I always thought is was state law and have been told so by numbers of game wardens and officials with the state of texas but I DO NOT see it in writing anywhere.
I owe someone an apology. I said it was state law.
Posted By: 1442

Re: guys help me out. - 04/21/15 03:06 AM

PART C - LIGHTS AND SHAPES
Rule 20 - Application Return to the top of the page

(a) Rules 20-31 shall be complied with in all weathers.

(b) The Rules concerning lights shall be complied with from sunset to sunrise, and during such times no other lights shall be exhibited, except such lights which cannot be mistaken for the lights specified in these Rules or do not impair their visibility or distinctive character, or interfere with the keeping of a proper look-out.

(c) The lights prescribed by these Rules shall, if carried, also be exhibited from sunrise to sunset in restricted visibility and may be exhibited in all other circumstances when it is deemed necessary.

(d) The Rules concerning shapes shall be complied with by day.

This is copied and pasted from the USCG inland waterways rules. sunset to sunrise.
looks like sunrise to sunset in reduced visibility situations too.
I didn't know that about the reduced visibility but it didn't give a definition for reduced visibility either.
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: guys help me out. - 04/21/15 04:29 AM

Originally Posted By: coachallentca
Originally Posted By: YankHardReelFast

LOL I did not catch that. I think he meant to say 30 min. after sunrise.

Sorry about that this is what I meant. Oops!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum