Texas Fishing Forum

Have you ever bought a brand new boat that turned out to be a lemon?

Posted By: Coach Jaywhy

Have you ever bought a brand new boat that turned out to be a lemon? - 04/19/15 06:44 PM

I got my boat 4 months ago and the engine keeps failing. They have tried to fix it over and over and it seems they can't figure it out. I've been stranded on the lake 6 times now. It's under warranty and I haven't had to pay anything but no one can seem to figure out what's wrong(even the engine company). Anybody ever got a lemon. If so what can I do?
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide

Re: Have you ever bought a brand new boat that turned out to be a lemon? - 04/19/15 06:52 PM

What's the problem w it?

Make & model of motor?
Posted By: RangerBass21

Re: Have you ever bought a brand new boat that turned out to be a lemon? - 04/19/15 06:55 PM

Ford must of made the engine roflmao
Posted By: DJB

Re: Have you ever bought a brand new boat that turned out to be a lemon? - 04/19/15 07:01 PM

You will have to give name of boat, name of dealer, name of mechanic, name of factory rep, etc.,etc., then bash above said in full page rant to get any response on here! (LOL) No Ive not bought a lemon but I hope things work out for you. Sounds like they are at least trying to help you?
Posted By: DFW-fisherman

Re: Have you ever bought a brand new boat that turned out to be a lemon? - 04/19/15 07:02 PM

What is happening just before you get stranded? Been having a few beers? Anybody been standing next to the filler cap, with the urge to go?
Posted By: Lil joe

Re: Have you ever bought a brand new boat that turned out to be a lemon? - 04/19/15 07:09 PM

What engine do you have? I bought a new boat in 2005. It had a 90 hp mercury optimax on ot. The day I picked it up from the dealership me and my dad went out to the lake to start the break in process and fish a little. While I was idling the motor died on me. We were 4 or 5 miles from the boat ramp. It would not start again. There are not too many things that make you feel worse than getting towed in your brand new boat that your just picked up from the dealership 2 or 3 hours ago. I took it back to the dealership the next day. They said it had a bad wire harness which they replaced. The next time I took it out it died again. I took it back to the dealership right then since it was Saturday. They told me that the top end would have to be completely rebuilt. I said no way and they said it was my only option. I refused and told them I would only take a new motor. After running around in circles for about a week my dad contacted mercury getting the same run around. Eventually he finally got around to the president of mercury before I got a new motor.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Have you ever bought a brand new boat that turned out to be a lemon? - 04/19/15 08:02 PM

Yes I have. In 1986 I bought. New Spirit bassboat with a 220 Yamaha. The boat was a Skeeter Starfire copy built in Many Louisiana. I began to have issues with the boat right away. Idling through the stumps caused the bottom of the boat to start coming apart. The trolling motor batteries were mounted under the three seats. Just the batteries vibrating and rubbing on the boat caused a leak. You get the picture.

I took the boat to them for repair after many phone calls. I left it about 3 weeks at the factory. I picked it up and drug it home to discover someone had stolen my hotfoot. Shortly after that they shut down. I think they lasted 3 years. A friend of mine had bought one a year before and had great luck with his.
Posted By: SpiderJig

Re: Have you ever bought a brand new boat that turned out to be a lemon? - 04/19/15 08:26 PM

I'd think that if they can't figure it out by now they'd just replace the engine with a new one. Is that not how it works with boats?
Posted By: DKennimer

Re: Have you ever bought a brand new boat that turned out to be a lemon? - 04/19/15 08:39 PM

That's gotta be frustrating. Maybe list what it's doing and the make/model. Maybe someone here has experienced what yours is doing. Good luck and keep that paper trail. If things can't be figured out by the manufacturer, I'd try to escalate the issue until it's resolved. You did buy it new.

Re: Have you ever bought a brand new boat that turned out to be a lemon? - 04/19/15 08:42 PM

I'm not going to bash anyone. It is a major brand of boat and motor company. The boat itself isn't the problem. Just the engine. Is there anything legally that can be done if the problem isn't fixed? I will be getting in contact with the higher up at the motor company
Posted By: PTGfish

Re: Have you ever bought a brand new boat that turned out to be a lemon? - 04/19/15 08:45 PM

I had a friend in 09 that had an evenrude that was the same way. He finally had to trade it in on a new boat with A mercury. he could not get the dealer to help him.
Posted By: RPD

Re: Have you ever bought a brand new boat that turned out to be a lemon? - 04/19/15 08:47 PM

I would like to know the name of this place so I could avoid doing business there..

Re: Have you ever bought a brand new boat that turned out to be a lemon? - 04/19/15 08:47 PM

Everytime I have gotten it back from the shop it starts right up and works great for a while(hours) then it just won't start. Sometimes it will start again after an hour or so but sometimes not. This last time it worked for 10 minutes after being in the shop for 2 weeks.
Posted By: JPost

Re: Have you ever bought a brand new boat that turned out to be a lemon? - 04/19/15 08:55 PM

Might be worth taking it to a differiant wrench -- get a second set of eyes on it.
Posted By: 5Redman8

Re: Have you ever bought a brand new boat that turned out to be a lemon? - 04/19/15 08:56 PM

As suggested...brand and model?

Describe exactly what has happened.

Otherwise, call Tommy at Rockwall marine and take his advice.
Posted By: Bugzout10

Re: Have you ever bought a brand new boat that turned out to be a lemon? - 04/19/15 09:02 PM

He said the make and model " Major Brand"
Posted By: Slade

Re: Have you ever bought a brand new boat that turned out to be a lemon? - 04/19/15 09:09 PM

No - but I bought a brand new 2012 Jeep Wrangler and it was the biggest piece of [censored] I have ever owned. Got the runaround and all of the problems where the manufacturers defects and poor work by the dealership. I was so happy to get rid of it, and I have been a Jeep owner (I still am by the way, but an older CJ7) most of my life.

I know its not related to boats, but from my experience, if you start having issues with something that is new, demand a replacement or get rid of it. Think if your having issues with anything that is brand new or even a few years old, what will it be like 5 - 10 years down the road?
Posted By: bert

Re: Have you ever bought a brand new boat that turned out to be a lemon? - 04/19/15 09:13 PM

The Texas lemon law does not cover boats but the federal lemon law does...
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Have you ever bought a brand new boat that turned out to be a lemon? - 04/19/15 09:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.
Yes I have. In 1986 I bought. New Spirit bassboat with a 220 Yamaha. The boat was a Skeeter Starfire copy built in Many Louisiana. I began to have issues with the boat right away. Idling through the stumps caused the bottom of the boat to start coming apart. The trolling motor batteries were mounted under the three seats. Just the batteries vibrating and rubbing on the boat caused a leak. You get the picture.

I took the boat to them for repair after many phone calls. I left it about 3 weeks at the factory. I picked it up and drug it home to discover someone had stolen my hotfoot. Shortly after that they shut down. I think they lasted 3 years. A friend of mine had bought one a year before and had great luck with his.

Those spirits would fly
Posted By: JimmyP

Re: Have you ever bought a brand new boat that turned out to be a lemon? - 04/19/15 10:25 PM

Look up the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. That is federal law. Texas law does cover lemons but the Federal Law may have more teeth. Good luck if you go that direction.
Posted By: JCBfromTHF

Re: Have you ever bought a brand new boat that turned out to be a lemon? - 04/19/15 10:31 PM

Lemon Law is tough to make work for you. I bought a brand new Honda ATV in 2000 and had problems from the start with it. Took about 5 years before they got it figured out.
Posted By: Ranger-188-2007

Re: Have you ever bought a brand new boat that turned out to be a lemon? - 04/19/15 10:36 PM

Have they checked the kill switch. I had one that would short out for some reason. One day the motor would run, then next it wouldn't crank even hooked up to the kill switch! Just a thought that is often over looked!
Posted By: RickS

Re: Have you ever bought a brand new boat that turned out to be a lemon? - 04/19/15 11:06 PM

I have not . Sounds like you have a intermittent problem. These are the most difficult to diagnose. Only resolution will come when fault is duplicated by a experienced tech and then pinpointing the cause while the failure is present. Good luck. I'm sure they will figure it out. My best advice would be that you want them to confirm their repair. Otherwise they are just guessing.
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Have you ever bought a brand new boat that turned out to be a lemon? - 04/19/15 11:27 PM

I have too. Like yours it wasn't the boat but a brand new Mercury XR6 in 1993. The oil light and buzzer would not shut off. They had the motor more than I did and finally after I wrote to the CEO of Brunswick Corp they just gave me a new 1994. No more problems. That motor ran great right up until I sold the boat 18 years later.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Have you ever bought a brand new boat that turned out to be a lemon? - 04/20/15 12:13 AM

Contact a guy with name of bigolsack on here. He has experience with lemons....
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: Have you ever bought a brand new boat that turned out to be a lemon? - 04/20/15 01:27 AM

If it's Yamaha give me a shout.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Have you ever bought a brand new boat that turned out to be a lemon? - 04/20/15 02:58 AM

Sounds like the new Evinrude.
Posted By: skeeter james

Re: Have you ever bought a brand new boat that turned out to be a lemon? - 04/20/15 03:08 AM

Wow, sorry to hear about your problems!! I know how I'd be feeling if it were me. I hope you get it fixed, wishing you all the luck in the world !!
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Have you ever bought a brand new boat that turned out to be a lemon? - 04/20/15 11:12 AM

Originally Posted By: grout-scout

That was my first thought also.....
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Have you ever bought a brand new boat that turned out to be a lemon? - 04/20/15 11:43 AM

My first thought was the SHO after hearing of all its issues.

It's probably a Merc and we're both wrong. I would at least like to know. Sounds like the manufacturer has been trying to help. But at some point, they owe it to the customer to replace the un-repairable item. If they really want to save money, they can fix it on their own dime and sell it to someone else as a used or demo motor.
Posted By: epicoutdoors

Re: Have you ever bought a brand new boat that turned out to be a lemon? - 04/20/15 12:45 PM

Of course others have had similar problems in the past. It happens. But, if you're not going to identify the motor then why get on here and talk about it at all. You're not bashing anyone by discussing a legitimate problem that you are having with a product. There may be someone out there who has had issues with the same motor that may be able to point you toward a solution.
Posted By: CraigMcD

Re: Have you ever bought a brand new boat that turned out to be a lemon? - 04/20/15 01:10 PM

Since you didn't specify the type of failure, I'm going to toss this out and hope that your problem is this simple to fix...

I had a boat that would run for a while, then die and wouldn't restart. After about an hour of sitting, it would start back up and run fine for a little while then die again...

At the shop, it would start and run with no problem at all. Couldn't seem to figure it out.

It turned out to be a pinched vent line on the gas tank.

It would let only a little air through the line. When running above idle speeds, it wouldn't let enough through and a vacuum would slowly build in the tank and the engine would starve for fuel. Once it died, the pressure would slowly equalize and it would start back up. At idle speed (and especially on 1/2 tank of gas or less), the problem wouldn't manifest.

Took a while to figure out but once the vent line was straightened out, the engine ran perfectly.

Good luck.

Craig
Posted By: manhunter

Re: Have you ever bought a brand new boat that turned out to be a lemon? - 04/20/15 04:30 PM

It's hard to know what to say or do if we don't know the make/model. Listing the name isn't bashing, it's informing us on the problem and possible fixes and experiences we may of had ourselves.

Re: Have you ever bought a brand new boat that turned out to be a lemon? - 04/20/15 04:39 PM

150 Mercury Optimax. They have been known to be good engines. I just want a new one.......that works. The dealer is trying to get it replaced.

Re: Have you ever bought a brand new boat that turned out to be a lemon? - 04/20/15 05:00 PM

Thanks for posting the brand, def not the brand I expected to be the problem. It is odd to hear about it having issues.

Re: Have you ever bought a brand new boat that turned out to be a lemon? - 04/20/15 05:01 PM

Originally Posted By: patriot07
My first thought was the SHO after hearing of all its issues.

It's probably a Merc and we're both wrong. I would at least like to know. Sounds like the manufacturer has been trying to help. But at some point, they owe it to the customer to replace the un-repairable item. If they really want to save money, they can fix it on their own dime and sell it to someone else as a used or demo motor.

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner! Lol
Posted By: buton

Re: Have you ever bought a brand new boat that turned out to be a lemon? - 04/20/15 05:39 PM

Thanks for posting the brand, def not the brand I expected to be the problem. It is odd to hear about it having issues.

LOL if the brand were Evinrude the bashing will have started lol....where are the Mercury Haters?
Posted By: epicoutdoors

Re: Have you ever bought a brand new boat that turned out to be a lemon? - 04/20/15 10:09 PM

If you ever had a late 90's Evinrude Ficht engine then you likely had big problems. The Ficht was largely responsible for OMC's bankruptcy in 2000. I'm not an Evinrude basher and have owned a couple of good ones but, It seems that OMC and now BRP have similar tendencies for releasing new technology before the bugs are worked out.
Posted By: Chevy4dr57

Re: Have you ever bought a brand new boat that turned out to be a lemon? - 04/21/15 04:29 PM

I got an excellent buy on a new Ranger Z118 that had only 14 hours on it, saving $10,000. It was purchased at Cabella's in Ft/Worth or Dallas and improperly rigged. The engine was mounted too high on the jack plate and would run hot. I really feel sorry for the original owner but obviously I benefitted from the mistake. He had many extras added to include upgraded electronics jackplate, hotfoot, etc.
Posted By: WhiskeyTango223

Re: Have you ever bought a brand new boat that turned out to be a lemon? - 04/21/15 05:45 PM

I bought an Evinrude Ficht in 2000. Sometimes I wake up at night in a cold sweat-soaked panic and have to run to the shop to make sure there's not a blue motor on the back of my boat.
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: Have you ever bought a brand new boat that turned out to be a lemon? - 04/21/15 08:10 PM

Yes and no, yes the boat was great and no the motor wasn't, I bought a new TX17 Tracker back when OMC had the motor contract with Tracker in the early 90's. I owned the boat about 24 months and out of that time frame it stayed in the shop 13 months. Two powerhead rebuilds and a powerhead replacement. Everytime I took it in I had to wait for an OMC factory rep to come look at it. They fixed it for free every time under the warranty. The last trip I was so frustrated I sold it as soon as I got it back, naturally the man I sold it to ran it for years with zero issues.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum