Texas Fishing Forum

Lets talk Spinnerbait Trailers

Posted By: Knot at work

Lets talk Spinnerbait Trailers - 04/19/15 03:22 AM

You know how they say the trailer makes the jig, and similar things I hear about the chatterbait but how many of you ya'll put a trailer on a spinnerbait? Opinions?
Posted By: Bobber1

Re: Lets talk Spinnerbait Trailers - 04/19/15 03:52 AM

I usually don't. But two weeks ago I was fishing and they were short striking the bait. I put a trailer on there and it made all the difference.
Posted By: Chuck N. Wind

Re: Lets talk Spinnerbait Trailers - 04/19/15 03:56 AM

Trailer hook = Yes, always
Trailer soft plastic = No, because I haven't figured out how to have one with a trailer hook. The trailer hook is more important to me.
Posted By: RickS

Re: Lets talk Spinnerbait Trailers - 04/19/15 04:41 AM

I always have some type of trailer and always have a trailer. I use a grub especially when the water is dirty with poor visibility. Yes the tail will catch trailer hook i just always check it. For clearer water I use thinner profiles like the end of a smaller plastic worm. Even have used those minnow looking drop shot plastics.
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: Lets talk Spinnerbait Trailers - 04/19/15 05:12 AM

Wise man once told me. "Son if you need a trailer hook, you don't have the right blade on" - Lonnie Stanley. To this day I havnt used one. I rather have the fish get the whole hook, than snag the trailer hook. We nick name the fish "r-bend" when they are eating the spinnerbait well enough to have the r-bent at their lips.
Posted By: BigBassJake

Re: Lets talk Spinnerbait Trailers - 04/19/15 05:37 AM

If I'm slow rolling a heavy spinnerbait I'll put a cut down swim fluke on it. If it's dirty water and I'm burning it or a foot or so under I'll put a chartreuse grub on a chartreuse spinnerbait. I have no idea if it helps but I still do it.
Posted By: bbassfishes

Re: Lets talk Spinnerbait Trailers - 04/19/15 05:38 AM

Zoom Swimmin' Super Fluke Jr.
Posted By: Phototex

Re: Lets talk Spinnerbait Trailers - 04/19/15 01:09 PM

I still use a bunch of old Mister Twister Sin-Sations. White in clear water, chartreuse in stained water, and black at night.
Posted By: Dosser

Re: Lets talk Spinnerbait Trailers - 04/19/15 01:13 PM

I don't use spinnerbait trailers. Have used trailer hooks but only when I'm getting hits and not hooking up. I buy revenge spinnerbaits and the skirt has a few strands that extend farther than the rest I guess to mimic a trailer. Kind of like Booyah baits tux and tails spinnerbait
Posted By: TanHner36

Re: Lets talk Spinnerbait Trailers - 04/19/15 01:20 PM

Originally Posted By: bbassfishes
Zoom Swimmin' Super Fluke Jr.

This. I throw without a trailer first then try with one
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Lets talk Spinnerbait Trailers - 04/19/15 02:40 PM

Lonnie Stanley's Pro Trailer. A big Bass just will not pass it up. It is discontinued but I have plenty and put them on all my custom spinner baits.

The Two I Use:

Posted By: Rob Matthews

Re: Lets talk Spinnerbait Trailers - 04/19/15 05:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
Lonnie Stanley's Pro Trailer. A big Bass just will not pass it up. It is discontinued but I have plenty and put them on all my custom spinner baits.

The Two I Use:

I've got some of those Donald. Do yours have the little rattle chambers that fit in the small holes?
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Lets talk Spinnerbait Trailers - 04/19/15 06:02 PM

AA worms Monarch Grub

I don't usually use a trailer unless I feel the fish are a bit finicky, but I like this one a lot.
Posted By: D Thomas

Re: Lets talk Spinnerbait Trailers - 04/19/15 06:55 PM

I use the tail of a zoom u-tail red bug worm.
Posted By: beeflover

Re: Lets talk Spinnerbait Trailers - 04/19/15 07:30 PM

I like the trailer when slow rolling deeper vegetation, good use of old plastics too. When slow rolling, the fish get a good look at the hardware on the bait so I think the natural swimming action of a plastic tail helps a lot. I thread plastic tail to the trailer hook and peg them both to the main hook with the keeper tubing.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Lets talk Spinnerbait Trailers - 04/19/15 07:35 PM

Mr. Matthewes:
Back in the day the Stanley Pro Trailers use to come with the rattle inserts for the holes. I still have a few here and there. The last ones I bought did not have any in the packages.
Posted By: Timbass

Re: Lets talk Spinnerbait Trailers - 04/19/15 08:31 PM

First, on the subject of trailer hooks, I only use them in really stained to dirty water. Essentially in situations where I feel like the fish are legitimately having difficulty locating the lure. In my experimentation with them, I find that in clear water I would catch lots of fish on just the trailer hook and when I did not use one, they got the main hook just fine. So, in clear water I believe they can see the hook and not knowing its a hook, they target it. So, I don't feel that they would miss the bait and that using one saves the day in clear water. The only exception to this is spots and smallmouth. Their smaller mouths and aggressive strikes can be downright sloppy, so the trailer hook can make a big difference.

For spinnerbait trailers, I will use a grub or old school split tail on smaller 3/8 size in like a double Colorado in stained water for extra beef and presence. A friend got me into using the big 3/4 and 1 1/4 revenge spinnerbaits with a boottail like the gambler ez swimmer or 4" LFT boottail. It adds a lot of action and bulk to the spinnerbait for slow rolling places like humps and points in deeper water. The boottails tend to make the smaller spinnerbaits roll on their side so I don't use them for that, but for the big boys a boot tail can be very productive. Good fishing.
Posted By: jbcarroll3000

Re: Lets talk Spinnerbait Trailers - 04/19/15 08:54 PM

Good post. I've thought about this quite a bit lately, so it's good to see everyone's opinions.

I rarely use a trailer for the same reason someone else mentioned--using a trailer hook, but I'm currently re-thinking this. I've noticed lately that I rarely hook up only on the trailer hook. Now it is nice when you see both hooks in, but maybe I can do without that. I'm never without a trailer on a chatter bait or swim jig, and don't use trailer hooks on those, so I'm leaning towards dropping the hook and adding some plastic to my spinnerbaits.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Lets talk Spinnerbait Trailers - 04/20/15 12:41 AM

Why not thread a trailer on a trailer hook, then you have both. I have done that in the past.
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: Lets talk Spinnerbait Trailers - 04/20/15 01:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Donald Harper

The Two I Use:

Them trailers in pumpkin are deadly on a football jig thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum