Texas Fishing Forum

Square Bill: rattles or silent?

Posted By: JoeyC

Square Bill: rattles or silent? - 04/17/15 03:39 PM

Question is simple. Do you throw more silent or with rattles? If you use rattles more often do you use the big one knockers or little bbs?
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Square Bill: rattles or silent? - 04/17/15 03:42 PM

I like both and throw both but if you told me I could only have one, it would be rattles. No one knockers.
Posted By: ShamrockSmith

Re: Square Bill: rattles or silent? - 04/17/15 03:45 PM

Definitely silent on all mine except for a few chartreuse ones that are DRS or "Deep Rattle Sound". Basically a one knocker. No rattling ones at all in my boat and plan on keeping it that way.
Posted By: Hitch

Re: Square Bill: rattles or silent? - 04/17/15 03:49 PM

No rattles.

Re: Square Bill: rattles or silent? - 04/17/15 03:59 PM

I throw silent too but I was curious to see how many people throw them with rattles a lot. It started because I was looking at trying out some lucky craft cranks and I was trying to find something like a silent 1.5 but it seems there are a lot more options with rattles.
Posted By: JoshMan734

Re: Square Bill: rattles or silent? - 04/18/15 12:51 AM

I'm a rattle guy on all my cbs but deinitely sq bill! Only on super clear lakes do I throw silent but then again I rarely throw cb on the clear lakes I fish
Posted By: ChrisBlackmon95

Re: Square Bill: rattles or silent? - 04/18/15 12:54 AM

Let the fish tell you. Throw both
Posted By: JCBfromTHF

Re: Square Bill: rattles or silent? - 04/18/15 12:55 AM

Rattles for squares. Only exception is some of the balsa ones but I don't throw those very often.
Posted By: dimitri

Re: Square Bill: rattles or silent? - 04/18/15 12:59 AM

90% silent

10% rattles

0% one knocker
Posted By: Kevin Bryant

Re: Square Bill: rattles or silent? - 04/18/15 01:09 AM

I've never really noticed a difference. I'll typically tie on a silent one during a tournament on a highly pressured lake. But I'm probably 80% rattles.
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: Square Bill: rattles or silent? - 04/18/15 01:34 AM

I throw the Xcite XB-1 silent 95% of the time.
Posted By: Bissett

Re: Square Bill: rattles or silent? - 04/18/15 02:30 AM

I really like the Rick clunn's and they happen to be silent. They have done great for me. I also do well on the KVD with rattles both in the 1.5 size. I just have the confidence in squarebills so it really doesn't matter as long as it looks good and fits the circumstances. I think they make the Rick clunns with rattles now but I strocked up a while ago lol
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Square Bill: rattles or silent? - 04/18/15 10:32 AM

Yes.

I thow more silent baits than most people, but not all. Now if you are talking deep divers, more rattles. But, I am a BIG believer in the square bills that are hand made, wooden baits. Made of balsa or cedar. I have been throwing them since before 2000. Mostly Stanford Cedar Shad and Gary Dees D-bait. It amuses me when everyone jumped on the band wagon of square bills. Just too funny.

Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: John Sanner

Re: Square Bill: rattles or silent? - 04/20/15 02:25 AM

Silent in clear water and rattles in stained water.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Square Bill: rattles or silent? - 04/20/15 02:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Thad Rains
Yes.

I thow more silent baits than most people, but not all. Now if you are talking deep divers, more rattles. But, I am a BIG believer in the square bills that are hand made, wooden baits. Made of balsa or cedar. I have been throwing them since before 2000. Mostly Stanford Cedar Shad and Gary Dees D-bait. It amuses me when everyone jumped on the band wagon of square bills. Just too funny.

Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains

I think people just realized how ell they work. Same with any technique. Once word gets out it works it gets popular. Nothing new. Been happening for years.
Posted By: mudd

Re: Square Bill: rattles or silent? - 04/20/15 03:12 AM

Originally Posted By: James Biggs

So that's why u always beat me in practice so bad?!?!?!
Posted By: Drummond1

Re: Square Bill: rattles or silent? - 04/20/15 11:56 AM

I fish Lewisville, I can't catch anything on either one.

Re: Square Bill: rattles or silent? - 04/20/15 01:12 PM

Originally Posted By: James Biggs

I had really bad luck with the xb-1's. I bought 8 and have 6 left. Half of them the bill cracked and the the other half the body split in half just from light slaps trying to get grass off.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum