Texas Fishing Forum

revo sx or revo stx?

Posted By: cclr

revo sx or revo stx? - 04/17/15 05:38 AM

should i spend the extra $40 and buy the revo stx? Ive never used abu garcia but the revo seems to be a great reel after reviewing them. Wanting to try one out soon and would like to hear some thoughts on the sx vs. stx
Posted By: sdavis24

Re: revo sx or revo stx? - 04/17/15 06:58 AM

I'd say it depends on what type of braking system(s) if any you prefer. Magnetic, centrifugal or both. Some are better on the front end some on the back end. I have several of the stx and winch reels and love them. I also have an sx that I am not as good at casting with. I seem to get some front end backlash because I try to force it. I guess it requires a little more touch and wrist action then I currently have (I'm no pro).

I've also fished with the s or whatever the next lower price point is and I liked it a lot. Had a buddy who had a very similar opinion of the sx.
Posted By: WCLBASS

Re: revo sx or revo stx? - 04/17/15 10:11 AM

I have both and I can tell very little difference between them,but mine are not the new gen.
Posted By: catslayer

Re: revo sx or revo stx? - 04/17/15 01:12 PM

Originally Posted By: WCLBASS
I have both and I can tell very little difference between them,but mine are not the new gen.

x2

that said, i prob would go stx...
Posted By: plasma800

Re: revo sx or revo stx? - 04/17/15 01:25 PM

If you're in that market, you might also want to pick up a pfluger supreme xt. I think it's a nicer reel than the revo and Priced at $149.00. Or the Patriarch Supreme XT, priced at $249 is also a great reel for the money.
Posted By: plasma800

Re: revo sx or revo stx? - 04/17/15 01:33 PM

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Pflueger_Reels_Casting/catpage-RLCPFLUEGER.html
Posted By: jbcarroll3000

Re: revo sx or revo stx? - 04/17/15 02:02 PM

Sx
Posted By: Fish AKA Jerry

Re: revo sx or revo stx? - 04/17/15 02:12 PM

Originally Posted By: WCLBASS
Posted By: RO519

Re: revo sx or revo stx? - 04/17/15 02:24 PM

Originally Posted By: sdavis24
I'd say it depends on what type of braking system(s) if any you prefer. Magnetic, centrifugal or both. Some are better on the front end some on the back end. I have several of the stx and winch reels and love them. I also have an sx that I am not as good at casting with. I seem to get some front end backlash because I try to force it. I guess it requires a little more touch and wrist action then I currently have (I'm no pro).

I've also fished with the s or whatever the next lower price point is and I liked it a lot. Had a buddy who had a very similar opinion of the sx.

Same experience with my sx, so I put it on my flipping stick and love it there
Posted By: cbow44

Re: revo sx or revo stx? - 04/17/15 07:09 PM

If you go with the revo, Bass Pro is having a rebate sale on all of them.
http://www.basspro.com/Fishing/Current-Offers-Rebate/_/N-1z0uxbaZ1z0weqm?cm_sp=WkdrRbtApr2015_FS
Posted By: SAKS

Re: revo sx or revo stx? - 04/17/15 07:52 PM

If you dont mind buying on ebay you can get an STX for the price of an S. I have an STX and use it on my flipping rod so not sure about the casting of the reel. I do have two S models and they work and cast just fine. The Revo is a good product but I still prefer my Curados.
Posted By: MV

Re: revo sx or revo stx? - 04/17/15 08:12 PM

Buy a stx from ebay for 140.00 new. no tax free shipping from a fishing store. then send rebate in for 20.00
Posted By: coachmas

Re: revo sx or revo stx? - 04/17/15 09:15 PM

Originally Posted By: MV
Buy a stx from ebay for 140.00 new. no tax free shipping from a fishing store. then send rebate in for 20.00

I have 6 gen 3 stx that I bought from eBay over the last 6 months and haven't paid over $150 shipped yet. Didn't know about the rebate but saved money. Coach
Posted By: "Ol Spookin

Re: revo sx or revo stx? - 04/18/15 12:04 AM

+1 . Revo SX, started with one three years ago, and now own 8 .. they have been bullet proof !! . check the Abu rebates...
Posted By: lodell23

Re: revo sx or revo stx? - 04/18/15 12:07 AM

STX
Posted By: YankHardReelFast

Re: revo sx or revo stx? - 04/18/15 01:06 AM

I have all stx's and sx's. I have a couple sx's that prefer over the stx. I really can't tell a major difference in the two.
Posted By: Flyer

Re: revo sx or revo stx? - 04/18/15 02:32 AM

I have a couple of STX's. The difference is the centrifugal brake on the STX is non existant on the SX. I found I cast MUCH better with all the cetrifucal brakes off, so I would probably buy an SX if it were me.

However, if the bidget allows, the MGX has FAR superior brakes than both of them. My only complaint with the MGX is the spool only has dimples and not holes in it. My braid will slip from time to time on the spool so I have to unwind the whole thing and start over. If I could afford it I'd switch out most all of my reels for the MGX.

On the flip side, I have a couple of black max and silver max reels as well. To me, the black max casts better than the silver max reels. I'm not sure the difference in those though, I didn't pay enough attention to them. They are notable bigger in my hand though. Since I have smaller hands, I much prefer the size of the STX and MGX than the Max line of reels.
Posted By: cclr

Re: revo sx or revo stx? - 04/18/15 06:07 PM

thanks guys i appreciate the help!
Posted By: JCHANDLER

Re: revo sx or revo stx? - 04/18/15 06:18 PM

STX has a titanium worm gear. Last longer = more savings
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum